Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

jleecloak1
Apprentice

Are you saying to turn off the 5ghz radio, so that the 2.5Ghz band is the only signal?

Message 176 of 302
st_shaw
Master

No.  I believe you will lose the backhaul if you turn off the 5 GHz radio.  I'm suggesting turning down the power on the 2.4 GHz radio.

Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings->Transmit Power Control. There are 100/75/50/25% setttings for both the 2.4G and 5G radios on this page.

Also make sure you are not running any other WiFi routers or access points.

Message 177 of 302

@st_shaw wrote:

No.  I believe you will lose the backhaul if you turn off the 5 GHz radio.  I'm suggesting turning down the power on the 2.4 GHz radio.

Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings->Transmit Power Control. There are 100/75/50/25% setttings for both the 2.4G and 5G radios on this page.

nope the 5 gig backhaul is independant , you can turn off both 2.4 gig and 5 gig and it works as a media bridge , i have tested it here and it works great that way as well

Message 178 of 302
st_shaw
Master

@peteytesting wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

nope the 5 gig backhaul is independant , you can turn off both 2.4 gig and 5 gig and it works as a media bridge , i have tested it here and it works great that way as well

Thanks.  Makes sense and good to know.  Someone recenty reported on here that they turned off the 5G and lost the backhaul.

Message 179 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Oh, got it.

Message 180 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

That didn't work, I just got disconnected again. 

Message 181 of 302
st_shaw
Master

Can you do a channel scan with a WiFi scanner application and look at your power levels and channel use to see if there are other devices on the channels you are using? Something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 2.06.04 PM.png

Message 182 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I will try changing the channel. Hopefully that helps.

Message 183 of 302
st_shaw
Master

Might help.  Best to download scanner software so you can get a complete picture though. You want to make sure your Orbi router and sat signals are not the same strength too. If they are, you need to move them farther apart.  Use only channels 1, 6. or 11 on the 2.4 G band.

Message 184 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Thanks trying that now.

Message 185 of 302
richpjr
Star

Well, sad to say that I got a ton of disconnections tonight.  I was hoping that I'd be one of the lucky ones and not have any issues, but I guess not.  Now I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for a fix (how long - who knows), try messing with power like some of the suggestions (seems kind of ridiculous to have to manually tweak that) or try another product (bit it seems like all products have some issues).

None of these are real good choices.  Ugh.

Message 186 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Eero. No issues. 🙂
Message 187 of 302
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@killabandit wrote:
Eero. No issues. 🙂

Well maybe for you, but if you check their fourms others have issues.

Message 188 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sure. What forum? I've looked and never found one.
Message 189 of 302
st_shaw
Master

@whsbuss-1 wrote:

@killabandit wrote:
Eero. No issues. 🙂

Well maybe for you, but if you check their fourms others have issues.

Plenty of verfied purchasers on Amazon claiming disconnects, slow speed, other issues with Eero.  See below link.  Eero has 7% 1-star reviews.  Orbi has 4% 1-star reviews.

Both products have users with issues.  This is not unusual and doesn't mean either product is bad. It just sucks if you're one of the few with issues.

https://www.amazon.com/eero-Home-WiFi-System-Pack/product-reviews/B00XEW3YD6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt...

Message 190 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good try. Eero has 2x the reviews that the orbi does. I'd expect it to show issues for people who don't have a clue. But I can say that their support is wonderful and eero was simple and solid to setup. Many people who put reviews mess up on the installs themselves.

Unlike orbi, firmware is the issue.

This isn't between eero and orbi. If you want to start a topic please do. But leave it out here. Several of us have switched from orbi to eero with no issues and we are just stating that.
Message 191 of 302
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@killabandit wrote:
Good try. Eero has 2x the reviews that the orbi does. I'd expect it to show issues for people who don't have a clue. But I can say that their support is wonderful and eero was simple and solid to setup. Many people who put reviews mess up on the installs themselves.

Unlike orbi, firmware is the issue.

This isn't between eero and orbi. If you want to start a topic please do. But leave it out here. Several of us have switched from orbi to eero with no issues and we are just stating that.

Well eero has been out about 10 months before Orbi which means more reviews on Amazon. Yes firmware is the issue which both Orbi and eero use to operate their hardware. However, (according to cousin who has eero) when Internet connectiviry is lost all local wifi networking is lost. Just something to be aware of.

Message 192 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well my Internet never goes down. But if it does I wouldn't want to use the wifi anyways. Most devices like eero, Google wifi and some others rely on the Internet to work.
Message 193 of 302
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@killabandit wrote:
Well my Internet never goes down. But if it does I wouldn't want to use the wifi anyways. Most devices like eero, Google wifi and some others rely on the Internet to work.

Yes they do.... Orbi does not. Found this recent (2 days ago) review from PC Mag.... not my fav rag but some interesting findings

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2499881,00.asp

Message 194 of 302
st_shaw
Master

@whsbuss-1 wrote:

However, (according to cousin who has eero) when Internet connectiviry is lost all local wifi networking is lost. Just something to be aware of.

That's one of the reasons I went with Orbi instead of the other "mesh" systems.  I think it's a poor design choice to require access to the "cloud" for your WiFi to function.  I have many uses for the LAN besides Internet access.  And if the company decides to drop support for the product, your WiFi might stop working also.

Message 195 of 302
B747driver
Star

@killabandit wrote:
Eero. No issues. 🙂

Same here.  I haven't had to do a single reboot or reset since initial setup nearly a month ago.  No iOS or Nest Cam drops.  Everything has maintained a rock solid connection.  I don't run around the house doing speeds tests all day, nor do I feel the need to do so.  I have better things to do.  All I know is that all of my devices perform just fine everywhere in my home, which is all I really care about.

Eero may not have some of the tech specs or features that some of the newer systems like Orbi and Velop have, but none of that matters if you're constantly aggravated by connection issues.  Further, and JMHO here, but disabling any feature or function (i.e. beamforming) to get "normal" performance is a symptom that something is inherently wrong with the system.  No such problems with Eero - it just works.  As always, YMMV.

Message 196 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well, I can tell you that article is wrong.  Eero does have QOS just an end user can't access it.  

And what do you mean Orbi does not?  Again, google wifi, Eero all require the internet to work for them to work.

Message 197 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Exactly my point. Eero just works.  Orbi doesn't.  I gave them 6 months trying to resolve it, and I still see they haven't.  I don't see a benefit using them if you can't have a stable wifi system in the first place.

Message 198 of 302
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

@killabandit wrote:

Well, I can tell you that article is wrong.  Eero does have QOS just an end user can't access it.  

And what do you mean Orbi does not?  Again, google wifi, Eero all require the internet to work for them to work.

Orbi does not require internet connectivity for the local wifi to work..... eero does.

Message 199 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am aware of Orbi not requiring it. But that is not what you said above.

Message 200 of 302
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7