Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

abouthere
Tutor

I tried replacing my VDSL modem with a Netgear DM200. What a farce and waste of time that was. Three hours effort and it didn't work. Gone back to the Openreach provided modem (in bridge mode) and turned off some of the Orbi settings folks have mentioned here.

New firmware came out in the last few days too so let's see if that makes any difference too. Can't see any setup changes so must be under the hood fixes.
Message 276 of 302
fstockel
Star

....still having trouble after upgrading to firmware V1.9.1.12

Message 277 of 302
realexm
Tutor

Brand new Orbi with one satellite and latest firmware, installed on Saturday. Coverage seems good, but here's my problem:

- iPhone doesn't automatically connect from out of coverage (e.g. outside) to inside. Even inside I noticed that sometimes it doesn't connect to WiFi

- Amazon Echo unit (literally sitting 3ft from the router) randomly disconnects

Internet connectivity is fine. It's just connecting to Orbi. Is this part of the problem described here?

Message 278 of 302
riccto
Initiate

I might have a solution:

All the iPads in my house regularly lost Wi-Fi connectivity after installing an Orbi RBR50 (prev and new firmware) and satellite.

I went back to my old system and the disconnection issue went away.

I tried a variety of settings on the Orbis with ongoing iPad disconnections BUT when...

I reenabled the Orbis and disabled WPA2 security (in fact disabled all security) the iPads stayed on line.

I changed the security to WEP/WPA2 and so far the iPads have stayed on line.

Could someone else try this and see how they go?

rt

Message 279 of 302
thor17usa
Guide

Check the QoS settings under the Advanced tab and see if WMM is enabled. If it is, disable it and reboot the router. Then see if you continue to have issues to connectivity. My Orbi has been rock solid since turning this feature off.

Message 280 of 302
jw127
Aspirant

New Orbi- upgraded to latest firmware and renamed the network. Attached all my devices (4 rokus, Sonos, 3 nestcams, iPad 2 iPhones and two macbooks). Within a day I began to lose internet connection. Had to reboot modem and router repeatedly. So, I reset the router and satellite to factory defaults yesterday with nothing connected except macbooks and iPhones and iPad. So far no problems for a day and a half. Later today I will change the network name from the default name to my chosen network name, which means rokus and nestcams will reconnect as they recognize the network. That should cause me to have the lost internet problem again. If it does I will take thor7usa's advice and disable WMM (I checked and currently it is enabled). If I continue to have the problem, the Orbi gets returned!!

Message 281 of 302
agusl
Initiate

Specs

Isp Modem: zohan (Fiber)

Old router: cisco e4200 v2 (working fine)

New router: Netgear Orbis router with 1 satellite Firmware v1.9.1.12 (latest to date 05/11/2017)

My story

I bought the Netgear orbis and installed it on my network (a working one) just for the purpose of expanding my wifi coverage. However, since then when I was using it (did not happened to anyone else on the network) the internet dropped. Just to be clear, the internet was down the local area network (LAN) worked just fine including wifi, I could see all the devices across the network and could share huge files between them, but I did not have access to the internet. Therefore, I checked my ISP modem, and there it was de red light showing some error, after a couple of minutes everything went to normal. Since nobody else complained about the internet dropping during the day and it just happened to me (I consider myself a person who uses intensively the bandwith), I started a debugging process.

The debugging steps

1.- I took of the orbis router and satellite and reconnect my old router.

2.- I’ve strees the network by downloading torrents with a lot of peers and seeders to max the up and down speeds. My internet worked just fine, no red light on the ISP modem.

3.- Reconnected the Orbis Router and satellite, and following step 2 I stressed the network, and my modem dropped out after a couple of minutes. The error was clear something was happening between my ISP modem and the Netgear orbis. I looked at the log files in the orbi Gui (advances tab->administration->logs) and saw an odd log. The log said that there was an [DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from my gateway address. So I disabled “ Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection” in advances tab->setup->wan setup. I stressed the network and the internet did not drop out, neither my ISP modem went south.

The problem was solved.

Message 282 of 302
Malik2k1
Star

So looks like my packet loss problems are still around. It's quite annoying that I can't game online with the Orbi acting the way it is. My consoles are all wired and when packet loss occurs I lose connection altogether on the consoles and on my phone...

I really hope netgear gets a stable firmware out soon. Maybe possibly rolling everyone back to the last firmware?

Disappointed to say the least... 😞
Message 283 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I feel your pain this has been a problem with me on every firmware since owning the Orbi. 

Message 284 of 302
Malik2k1
Star

I honestly don't understand how the Orbi can cause so much havoc on a network while running in AP mode. I have a nighthawk r7000 doing all the backbone work in router mode and my wired connections are affected even though they're not running through the Orbi...

So frustrating. i understand fixes take time but rolling back could at least help keep us running properly until a better firmware is available. I honestly don't know why it's not an option for us. 😞
Message 285 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I agree, even in AP mode it disconnects on wired connections. The Orbi has to be shut off from your network period. This product wasn't ready and we should demand it be fixed or be refunded for a faulty product.

Message 286 of 302
JMU1998
Luminary

I have it in AP mode and wired connection drops for a second about 2 to 3 times a day but only for a second very annoying.

Message 287 of 302

For those who stil believe they give a 💩:

Re: Betreff: Connection issues to satellite and with iOS devices
Options
‎2017-02-02 06:04 PM

Our engineers are aware of the issues with IOS devices and are working to correct the Issue. I do not have a ETA on the fix or the firmware but will post once I know something.

This is more then three Months back.... 😢

Message 288 of 302

@Returningmyorbi wrote:

This is more then three Months back.... 😢

and this just the other day

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Update-V1-9-1-12-Netgear-officially-announcing-Improvement-in/...

Message 289 of 302
jw127
Aspirant

This is an update to my earlier post. I have now changed the network name and password back to my original choice. So far (3 days now) the Orbi has been rock solid. Tonight I will start streaming movies and see what happens...

Message 290 of 302
mixolyd
Star

Is WMM option somewhere else now? I do not see it in QoS settings in Advanced. I would like to try to disable it and see if that fixes my internet drops. 

I am losing internet connection intermittently. I started running Pingplotter on my windows machine and set it to ping google.com and the local router IP every 5 seconds. Every few hours google.com becomes unpingable for 1-5 minutes, but the router stays pingable, so it's clearly a WAN issue. When I am home and notice this, then rebooting the router fixes it. 

I bought the Orbi from Costco which has a 90 day return policy. I think I'm getting close to 90 days, so I'm debating on returning it. This is really unacceptable for a $400 device. I really like Orbi otherwise, but I cannot deal with the internet disconnects. I am on latest firmware and have tried factory reset. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 291 of 302
jw127
Aspirant

Log in to router. Go to Advanced>advanced>wireless settings>uncheck the boxes for WMM for both frequencies and Apply. You're done!

Message 292 of 302
mixolyd
Star

Thanks! I'll give it a try, although I just realized something. I had the router in Pingplotter along with google.com, and yesterday I noticed that when pings were red to google, the router was Ok. But I just checked readings from last night and today, and the router was unpingable for about 3 minutes a few times along with google.com... so this seems like more of an issue than just losing WAN connection... This is with a computer hire wired to a Satellite btw. Not sure what's going on here. Is contacting Netgear support worth it? Seems like a bunch of you guys tried which didn't amount to much

I just saw in another thread mention of a beta firmware. Have any of you guys tried that?

Message 293 of 302
FouduRoi
Tutor

Indeed, apparently there is a beta version that fixes the issue which is a good news. Now the question is when it will be released????

Message 294 of 302
abouthere
Tutor

Two things:

1 - New Firmware out > https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 1.10.1.2

If that doesn't work, follow this shortlink http://titchy.me/2qfzZ5F

2 - I had Amazon replace my entire set up. Rather than follow the instructions for initial set-up, I did the following:

a) Plugged in the router to a standalone laptop

b) Updated the firmware

c) Changed to AP mode

d) Connected it to my VDSL modem and ran the Internet detection

e) Did all the set-up I wanted

f) FINALLY, added the satelitte. 

Step f was the big change, previously, I added the satelitte when prompted by the Netgear wizards. By doing it this way, I eliminated changes having to be replicated with each change.

I have had ZERO wireless drop outs doing this on firmware V1.9.1.12

I still have Beam forming, and WMM etc all turned on. 

Message 295 of 302
fefigno
Guide

+1 

I observed exactly the same. I'm in the process of disabling the DOS protection and confirming it fixed the issue. Netgear should be aware of this. I contacted them today and explained it.

Message 296 of 302
Mike734
Star

I came here to find an answer to the same problem. I had a great connection until suddenly I didn't. My PC would not find the web page. Windows diagnostics returned a problem with the DNS servers. Apple safari said the server couldn't be found.

I finally realized the problems started when I attached an old router to a LAN port to help distribute the internet to my home theater. Turns out I had neglected to set an IP to the router (now switch). I think the router was fighting for 192.168.1.1 spot. Anyway, I gave it a fixed IP and haven't had a problem since.
Message 297 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Did you ever try logging into the router? Whenever there is an ip conflict like that it usually disrupts the network and causes your network to disconnect all devices. Another way to tell is when you log into the router it shows the login interface for another router using the same ip.

Message 298 of 302
fefigno
Guide

I found out the cause and solution for my disconnects. Read carefully:

- If you have disconnects that happen from time to time and last a few minutes

- If your Orbi's LAN keeps working in the meantime

- If the internet connection in the Orbi main page shows as disconnected/error

- If your logs ( Advanced > Administration > Logs) show one/more ARP related entries like this "[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: <source ip>, <date/time>" where <source ip> is your ISP gateway ip address, close to the time of the disconnection.

Then your problem is that the Orbi is sending a lot of ARP requests and your ISP implements a protection against it (typically Cisco's Dynamic ARP inspection). So, it's the ISP that is disconnecting you and the reported attack happens to come from the Orbi itself. Contact your provider and ask them to raise the DAI limit to 50 reqs/sec (the default will be 15). For me it solved the problem. Also, make sure Netgear is aware of the issue. It's probably a bug in the Orbi.

See the other dedicated thread for details:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-generating-a-lot-of-ARP-traffic-on-WAN/m-p/1247349

Message 299 of 302
jleecloak1
Apprentice

If this is the reason I am getting disconnected then Netgear has to fix this none of my other routers I have owned has had this problem. I'm not going to spend hours on the phone talking to Comcast because my Orbi can't stop disconnecting that's a no from me.

Message 300 of 302
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7