Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

Jason2112
Aspirant

Orbi loosing Internet Connection

I know this topic has been drug through the mudd! I’m thinking the system is overkill because it’s in my 5th wheel. Which is 40ft total. And the satellite is about 20ft from the base. It’s hard to say how many times it drops. But seems to do so when I’m using it. No magenta ring just my google hub says check internet connection. My modem is new so I don’t think that’s the issue. Would this situation be over kill? Maybe disconnect the satellite?
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try running the Orbi router base only with out the satellite? 20 feet is too close. 

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jason2112

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 11
Jason2112
Aspirant

Not 100% sure it’s fixed. I’ve not seen many drops. But have some real slow speeds in the morning. Not sure why.
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Slow speeds wired or wireless? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

@Jason2112 wrote:
Not 100% sure it’s fixed. I’ve not seen many drops. But have some real slow speeds in the morning. Not sure why.

Message 5 of 11
Jason2112
Aspirant

I still get the dropped WiFi. I looked at the status the last time it dropped out. All devices are on WiFi and that was the only thing not showing any packets. Both WLAN lines in TX and RX had zeros. WLAN backhual was up. Why does this unit just stop broadcasting WiFi? I have followed all the recommendations of the board members. Seems to only happen in the morning. The units are more than 30 feet and it’s in a 5th wheel. So yes there is other WiFi sources close by and also the the park has most likely some type of mesh system also.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Slow speeds wired or wireless? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try setting the power output of the Orbi from 100% to 50% or 25%. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@Jason2112 wrote:
I still get the dropped WiFi. I looked at the status the last time it dropped out. All devices are on WiFi and that was the only thing not showing any packets. Both WLAN lines in TX and RX had zeros. WLAN backhual was up. Why does this unit just stop broadcasting WiFi? I have followed all the recommendations of the board members. Seems to only happen in the morning. The units are more than 30 feet and it’s in a 5th wheel. So yes there is other WiFi sources close by and also the the park has most likely some type of mesh system also.

Message 7 of 11
Jason2112
Aspirant

The modem is made by Aaris it’s spectrums newest modem. It is
More the 6 feet away from the NG router. I want to know why the unit is switching off the radios randomly. No router I’ve ever owned just dropped while using. There are quite a bit of posts with this issue. Are there any techs from Netgear explaing what would cause this. There is absolutely not issue on the isp side. All connections are made with new cat 6e. This happens mostly in the morning. That’s what I noticed. I have the RBR20. Which is the mini unit.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP modem please?

Can you try using the RBR unit with out the satellite being on? 

Please let us know if you can try the other suggestions as well. 

If you think you need more help and information, you can submit a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 9 of 11
exboxnick
Aspirant

Has anyone checked this out?

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_DOCSIS_Cable_Modems

Specifically this: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_Orbi_Cable_Router_(CBR40)

For this thread, it may not be the exact model, but could it be that several Orbi devices are based on the Intel Puma chipset and therefore have these known problems? If that's the case, get it replaced, there is NO fix for this yet, even if Netgear or Comcast state there's a firmware fix for it. I just went through another similar thread and saw it's still not resolved... Hope this helps!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

http://www.badmodems.com

I do have the CBR40 and it doesn't have the same issues as the modems that began with the problems. It's Puma 7 based. 

It's recommended that if users are experiencing problems and they do have a Puma 6 modem which is mostly a Puma 6 issue, to check into getting a Broadcom based modem. List of good un-effected working modems are here:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=3e1420711f5b33f5ff0c4ad1c670a11b

NGs newer CM 1000/1100 series are Broadcom based. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7