Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi loosing part of the network NOT Internet

OrbiMan
Luminary

Orbi loosing part of the network NOT Internet

I have strange disconnection problems that it is not loosing Internet access. But I am losing part of my LAN that is connected to one satellite.

I have 2 satellite and 1 Orbi router set up. All parts of the network could access Internet and no issues as far as I could tell. However intermittently I would not be able to ping one of the satellite and all the thing that connects to that satellite from the rest of the network. If I walk close enough to satellite and force my phone over then I could.
Message 1 of 5
OrbiMan
Luminary

Re: Orbi loosing part of the network NOT Internet

I believe this to be the case with others have reported that they have not been able to control their various smart devices. In my case it is my chromecast and NAS. It happens mostly when I move from one part of the house to another. Typically resolve by manually disconnect my phone from network then reconnect when I am closest to the Orbi that those devices are connected to. I know that I am not the only one but problems is hard to spot unless you have smart device that access via LAN and not Internet as Internet still works.
Message 2 of 5
ikjadoon
Star

Hm, you'd think if you lost LAN on the satellite, you'd lose the internet, too; the Orbi satellites use a type of LAN (the backhaul) to get internet.

Maybe expected question: have you checked your backhaul? Is it steady and strong? If you don't know how, check my instructions here. Technically, both satellites should be dropping, though, so you might not have the same issue.

You're on v1.10.1.2, right? Did you try re-syncing the 'bad' satellite? Does it come up blue for signal? (you've probably done these, but I just want to check).

Message 3 of 5
OrbiMan
Luminary

My backhual is an EKG like the rest of you guys go from negative 60 to - 110 signal bouncing back and fore. And yes I am on the latest firmware. It is annoying but I still count as lucky as I rarely get disconnect like u guys however it could be related to everyone problems too.
Message 4 of 5
ikjadoon
Star

OK, right. 😞

True! Maybe there are 'degrees' of being affected. I wonder if sometimes people are close enough that the backhaul drops are covered up because it instantly switches to the strong router SSID for those few seconds: so the connection is never interrupted. 

And maybe it's more noticeable in some of our home architecture: I'm often too far from the router so my laptop (which is a 1x1 AC antenna, too) is primarily connecting to the satellite. I use Skype a lot for work and that keeps me on edge when I lose WiFi.

IMO, I want to say it's related to the same issue. Or maybe someone else is experiencing this and can chime in. I don't know if you're still in the 90-day free phone call time period, but maybe start a ticket there. Maybe Netgear knows some weird bug we don't. At least they'll maybe be able to set you up with a replacement. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7