Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing port forwarding or something else happening

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi loosing port forwarding or something else happening

Mine hasn't had the internet loose connection any more, but I have an issue that is irritating.  You know in some games when you join up on each other, like Call of Duty Infinite Warfare or Black Ops 3, the NAT should be open and I even have port forwarding to keep it open instead of going to moderate.  Well it seems the ORBI does something that my port forwarding stops working and it goes STRICT after about a week. I have to reboot the ORBI to fix it and it goes back to Open.  This is getting on my nerves!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
RonV42
Luminary

Strange I have had the Orbi for about 3 weeks now and both my Xbox One's have open nat.  I don't manually configure any port opens in the router since the Xbox will open ports as needed.  

If you have configured open ports make sure you are using a manually assined IP for your xbox in the configuration of your Orbi.  Advanced Tab / Setup /LAN setup and then you can reserve the address for your Xbox there.

Now verify your Xbox has that address by gonig into settings, network and dispaly the network address and make sure if matches the reservation.  If it doesn't then reboot the xbox and check again.

The last step is to verify your port opens.  There are many ports you need to open for Xbox:

TCP: 53, 80, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500

Go into your Orbi to the Advanced Tab / Advanced Setup / Port Forwarding and adjust the ports there. 

After that re-run  the network test on the XBox one to validate connectivity and Open NAT.  If it does go away after a period of time there is deeper diggings into the logs or you may have to open a service request with Netgear.

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's actually for the PC version of the games. All ports are setup correctly for it as it shows open when it works right then after a week it goes to strict till I reboot the router. Very frustrating.
Message 3 of 7
RonV42
Luminary

Ok thanks for the info.  I assume you are using manually assigned IP address for the PC then.  Strange becuase I do have port forward to support my Media Server from outside the home and never seen it get blocked or disabled by the Orbi.  You may want to open a support ticket with Netgear on this one.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, sorry I should have answered that on the first post.  I have a static IP set on the PC, so the router sends the port fwd to that IP.  I may have to do it. Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It just happened again.  I am about fed up with this crap.  I can't keep having to reboot this router this often because of this.  Even after locking in all the IPs as reservations the issue is still happening. 😕

Message 6 of 7
JMU1998
Luminary

This was not happening on 16 Firmware but have noticed it on 18 on a few games hopefully Netgear is aware and will address in next Firmware. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7