Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi losing connection, turns magenta

fuberwil
Aspirant

Orbi losing connection, turns magenta

I purchased this router over a year ago and have been having connectivity problems. It's been happening more frequently (several times a day). The router will randomly lose connection (turns magenta) and I have to reboot the router for it to reconnect. I called customer support and swapped out a new router but the problem is still happening. This is a bit frustrating as I spent a lot of money on this when it first released and is working more poorly than a $50 router. 

I initially thought it was the service provider and after many conversrations and visits, the service provider turns out to be working fine. I've read some people having the same problems but haven't found a solution yet. Has anyone ever been able to resolve this? Pretty ridiculous that an expensive router has this many issues. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Orbi losing connection, turns magenta

How did you rule out a service provider problem ? Even a short interruption of service will cause this to happen.

My provider (Comcast) currently has issues where it drops internet connection multiple times a day for very short periods of times - that causes the magenta light to occur.

I have determined it was a provider issue by :

a) looking at stats on the cable modem with the admin IP

b) running a PING to an internet site overnight (from a raspberry pi). On windows you can run ping -t

Let it run a while then stop it in the morning with CTRL-C and look at the stats.

My stats for last night for example look like this :

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
61790 packets transmitted, 61758 received, +14 errors, 0% packet loss, time 61883776ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.290/10.971/1006.370/4.614 ms, pipe 3

Errors are indicative of provider internet connection drop. It's not too many - was much worse before friday when the cable guy came to remove a filter - 1% average packet loss. Still, any loss of internet connectivity, even temporary, can cause some devices to report errors or status changes, such as the Orbi turning magenta.

Message 2 of 4
fuberwil
Aspirant

Hello,

I'll run a ping test for the night but this is what I have right now. The screenshots were taken about 15 seconds apart and you can see the website has yet to load. I'm getting high response time and will occasionaly jump to 90-120. 

I also ran the ping test overnight and was pretty much the same as what is pictured. There is the occasional higher jump but shows zero send or recv errors.Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 11.06.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 11.06.45 PM.png

Message 3 of 4
madbrain
Luminary

You need to ping an IP on the internet, not on your LAN . 8.8.8.8 is a google DNS so it is a good test. If your internet goes down, you will get high packet loss.

I'm not familiar with Mac, but on Windows or Linux I use a a terminal for the ping command and CTRL-C to get the results of the overnight test. Your ping screenshot shows a very short test and small number of packets. The other screenshot is the overall stats for your interface and that is meaningless.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7