Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi lost connection to internet

Andy990
Aspirant

Orbi lost connection to internet

I've had my Orbi running without a problem since October 2017. When I went to bed last night everything was working well. When I got up this morning, there was no internet connection. On the Orbi router (which is set in AP mode) the ring is solid magenta. I have tried rebooting both the modem and the router and it still goes back solid magenta. I know I have internet connection into the house because if I connect my device directly to the internet using the BT Hub, I have access to the internet. However, the Orbi cannot access the internet through the BT Hub. Any ideas? What could have changed while I was asleep last night?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Andy990
Aspirant

Problem is solved. It turns out it was nothing to do with either the BT Hub, nor the Orbi. I unplugged everything from my whole network (I have a lot of devices). With just the BT Hub and the Orbi connected, it was fine. It was an ethernet switch on the network which had gone rogue and was sending out thousands of packet requests which killed the network. I guess of all the things on the network, this is the easiest to replace and was 10 years old anyway!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

Sounds like the cable between the Orbi and BT Hub is faulty/not connected.  Check and/or replace the cabling to see if that helps?

CheerZ and good luck 🙂

Message 2 of 5
Andy990
Aspirant

Changing the cable made no difference. I have a feeling that either the BTHub or the Orbi has gone faulty. Not sure how to find out which one.

Message 3 of 5
Andy990
Aspirant

Problem is solved. It turns out it was nothing to do with either the BT Hub, nor the Orbi. I unplugged everything from my whole network (I have a lot of devices). With just the BT Hub and the Orbi connected, it was fine. It was an ethernet switch on the network which had gone rogue and was sending out thousands of packet requests which killed the network. I guess of all the things on the network, this is the easiest to replace and was 10 years old anyway!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

THere a built in router with the ISP hub by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@Andy990 wrote:

I've had my Orbi running without a problem since October 2017. When I went to bed last night everything was working well. When I got up this morning, there was no internet connection. On the Orbi router (which is set in AP mode) the ring is solid magenta. I have tried rebooting both the modem and the router and it still goes back solid magenta. I know I have internet connection into the house because if I connect my device directly to the internet using the BT Hub, I have access to the internet. However, the Orbi cannot access the internet through the BT Hub. Any ideas? What could have changed while I was asleep last night?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7