Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi mesh network is making bad choices for device connections

sfsdfd
Star

Orbi mesh network is making bad choices for device connections

I'm having a problem where my Orbi is making poor connectivity choices for my WiFi devices.

I have an RBK53 network with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled. I was configuring a Raspberry Pi device and noticed that its WiFi was extremely spotty. Running iwconfig showed a bit rate of 7 Mb/s and a signal strength of 53/70.

Eventually, I noticed that the RPi is connecting to the main Orbi router on a different floor and two rooms away. This is strange, because one of the satellites is on the same floor and about 30 feet away.

I thought that there might be some channel interference, so I changed the channel on the main Orbi while watching the iwconfig metrics on the Raspberry Pi. While the Orbi router was changing channels, the RPi reconnected to the Orbi satellite and its bit rate jumped to 150 Mb/s with a signal strength of 70/70. Much better! ... And a minute later, the Raspberry Pi reconnected to the main Orbi router and its signal strength plummetted again.

Any idea what's going on here? Is there any setting in the Orbi firmware that might be causing these poor connectivity choices? Do I need to assign static gateways?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi mesh network is making bad choices for device connections

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi mesh network is making bad choices for device connections

@sfsdfd wrote:

Any idea what's going on here? Is there any setting in the Orbi firmware that might be causing these poor connectivity choices? Do I need to assign static gateways?

You have encountered one of the most frustrating aspects of mesh WiFi systems, and a frequent topic of posts on this forum.

Here's a theory about that particular experiment: When the Pi discovered that the WiFi router access point on the channel disappeared, it looked and said, "Oh, here's another access point on the same channel.  I'll switch to it."  (the satellite). Shortly after that, this WiFi access point disappeared as well, and the Pi said, "Dang.  I need to search for access points on other channels."

As @FURRYe38 mentioned, it is the device which decides which access point to use.  WiFi systems have ways to "encourage" devices to select different bands (Google WiFi Band Steering), but in the end the device makes a selection.

Devices which are designed to be portable (in motion, such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops) often have networking software that constantly scans for a better WiFi connection and there are 802.11 standards for how they switch from one access point to another.  Devices that are expected to remain in one location often have less sophisticated software. Once they get attached to an access point, they tend to 'stick' until the access point disappears and they are forced to begin looking again.

A solution which appears to work for some devices (TV's, desktops, etc.) is to go into the network settings, 'forget' the Orbi WiFi, then search for WiFi, enter the password, and connect again.  The theory behind that method is that the router WiFi signal becomes available before the satellite, and the TV may have already connected to the router when the satellite signal shows up too late.

Others have reported success by reducing the Transmit Power on the WiFi system, which lowers the signal level of all access points, and then doing the reconnection on the device. (I have never done that. "More Power" is sort of a mantra with me.)

My 3B+ and 4B Pi's connect at 5G.  5G is much more sensitive to distance than 2.4G, so lowering the signal level may make the router less attractive.

My Pi's are "headless", so changing WiFi connections requires a wired connection.  I'm not entirely certain how one would do that with a headless WiFi Pi.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7