Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi model #AX4200 - new to Orbi and looking for some setup advice

HouTex1776
Aspirant

Orbi model #AX4200 - new to Orbi and looking for some setup advice

Hello, I recently purchased the Orbi AX4200 system to cure dead spots in our home.  

We have Xfinity here with an all-in-one modem/router.  (Vendor: Technicolor, Model: CGM4140COM)  At least I think that is correct.  I logged into http://10.0.0.1 and pulled the info from there.

I've been doing some reading as to how to connect but didn't see anything specific to this particular model from xfinity.  I can see in the xfinity gateway where I can put the router into bridge mode which is what I read as the correct thing to do.  I also saw something about turning off the WiFi hotspots but don't see anything in the settings to do that?  Do I need to call Xfinity for that?

I also read about connecting the Orbi router and satellites all together first before connecting to the Xfinity modem.  

Basically I'm just curious what the best way is to go about this in a step by step manner.  I don't feel like screwing up our whole network as we have children at home doing virtual school and I also work from home so...lol

Appreciate any tips or insight anyone that knows what they're doing can provide.

If you need any additional info just let me know.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi model #AX4200 - new to Orbi and looking for some setup advice

@HouTex1776 wrote:

Basically I'm just curious what the best way is to go about this in a step by step manner.  I don't feel like screwing up our whole network as we have children at home doing virtual school and I also work from home so...lol

You are wise to plan this out before plunging in.

Some information would be useful:

• What has been done to customize the existing WiFi network?
    * IP addresses 'reserved' for any devices?
    * Any ports forwarded to internal servers?
    * Do you anticipate doing any of that in the future?
  • Would it be a chore to change the WiFi network in all your devices?
    (if so, I would probably want to keep the WiFi SSID/password the same, unless you really do not like it.
     My practice has been to give each new WiFi network exactly the same SSID/password as the previous
     one so that (a) all my devices connect automatically, and (b) I can "go back" and they will connect.)
  • Are any devices wired directly to the modem?

My suggestion is to set up the new Orbi first.

• Connect the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi router to the modem.
  • Power up the Orbi and go through the setup process.
    (I prefer to do this using a computer browser and the Orbi web interface.)
  • If there is not a computer with an ethernet cable, the Orbi will begin broadcasting a WiFi network
    using the credentials on the product label: "ORBIxx" and two random works, such as "happymonkey".
  • Connect a web browser to "http://orbilogin.net".
  • Sync the satellites while they are in the same room as the router.
    (Makes the process a lot simpler. No running around the house.)

Now you are faced with the big decision.  Do you want to avoid the dreaded "Double NAT".  Thousands of customers just plug in their Orbi and pay no attention.  This article explains why some users want to have only a single router.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Now you need some "alone time" (about 30 minutes. Send the family to the park.)

• Connect to the modem with a web browser. Find the menu to turn off WiFi and do so.
    Every WiFi device in the house will lose connection.
  • Connect to the Orbi router and change the WiFi credentials to exactly what they were before.
  • When the Orbi reboots, every device in the house will reconnect and not know anything has happened.

At this point, you are "in business" and can take some time to decide if you want to fuss with the Double NAT now (or wait until you have a darn good reason to.)

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi model #AX4200 - new to Orbi and looking for some setup advice

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7