Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - no VoIP connection after disconnect and reconnect of Internet connection

webwude
Aspirant

Orbi - no VoIP connection after disconnect and reconnect of Internet connection

Hi all,

I am running an ORBI RBR50 router with three satellites (RBS50). All is running fine so far. I use a Huawei LTE router with bridge mode for internet access. 

Firmware is up to date: V2.5.1.16

I use two VoIP adapters, a Gigaset S850A GO VoIP telehone and a Cisco SPA112 adapter, both connect via ethernet to satellites I disabled SIP ALG, forwarded ports to both adapters. So far everything is working.

But: if my LTE connection is terminated by the provider and reestablished by the LTE router, all devices reconnect except both VoIP adapters. After a while I get notifications that the registration to my provider (sipgate.de) failed.

The only workaround so far is to restart the Orbi router.

Is there anything else I can do - I am running out of ideas.

Best regards

Michael

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
webwude
Aspirant

Re: Orbi - no VoIP connection after disconnect and reconnect of Internet connection

Tried that - no luck.

What works for now: I changed my LTE router in order to have double NAT:

Fixed ip of the lte router (not in bridge mode, but normal access point mode) with 10.0.1.1 and external IP from the provider. DMZ with Orbi 10.0.1.2

Orbi with fixed IP 10.0.1.2 and Internet access via 10.0.1.1

Internally orbi network with 10.0.0.x

Now a disconnect of the LTE connection does not result in a new IP for the Orbi - and the VoIP stay connected even after a new LTE connection (and new external IP for the LTE router)

It seems Orbi is unable to communicate the new internet IP to the VoIP clients (or they don't understand it) if the LTE router is in bridge mode.

Double NAT is not very nice, but a least it is working now.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi - no VoIP connection after disconnect and reconnect of Internet connection

@webwude wrote:

I use two VoIP adapters, a Gigaset S850A GO VoIP telehone and a Cisco SPA112 adapter, both connect via ethernet to satellites I disabled SIP ALG, forwarded ports to both adapters. So far everything is working.

Can you please describe how SIP ALG was disabled and ports forwarded?  Was this on the Orbi or the LTE modem?

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I found the SIP ALG disable.  Didn't think to look on the page.  My fault.

Still wondering how the port forwarding is set up.  Do the two phones use different IP ports?

Message 3 of 10
webwude
Aspirant

Hi. Thank you for getting back to me. Both VoIP devices have specific adress reservations via DHCP and mac adress identification: Gigaset Phone 10.0.0.201 Ciso 10.0.0.202 I have forwarded 5060 (SIP register), 5160 (SIP) and 5104 (RTP) to the phone, 5080 (SIP register), 5260 (SIP) and 5204 (RTP) to the Cisco Adapter. As mentioned, everything is fine until a reboot or disconnect of the LTE router. Best regards Michael

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the explanation.  I had no idea that VOIP could be configured with different port numbers.  Restarting the actual phones does not bring them back on line?  It sounds to as if sipgate.de has detected the phones "went away" and is waiting for a reconnect signal from the phones but they do not realize the connection was broken.  When the Orbi restarts, all devices might go through the DHCP process again which could trigger a connection process on the phone.

10.0.0.x is not the default subnet for Orbi (192.168.1.x).  Did you simply prefer that IP subnet for local devices, or did the Orbi choose it?

Message 5 of 10
webwude
Aspirant

That's the thing: restarting the VoIP devices does NOT solve the issue. So far those two devices are the only which I identified so far with issues after reconnect of the LTE router. Luckily the disconnect does not happen that often.

I chose the IP range with 10.0.0.x as my old private network had this subnet and I am just getting used to it.

Message 6 of 10
webwude
Aspirant

As there are any further comments I guess I have to live with it 😞

It seems to be a general problem - both devices are offline / not able to reconnect until reboot...

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you removed all port configurations and put the IP Phones IP address it gets from the RBR into the RBRs DMZ? 

@webwude wrote:

As there are any further comments I guess I have to live with it 😞

It seems to be a general problem - both devices are offline / not able to reconnect until reboot...

Message 8 of 10
webwude
Aspirant

Tried that - no luck.

What works for now: I changed my LTE router in order to have double NAT:

Fixed ip of the lte router (not in bridge mode, but normal access point mode) with 10.0.1.1 and external IP from the provider. DMZ with Orbi 10.0.1.2

Orbi with fixed IP 10.0.1.2 and Internet access via 10.0.1.1

Internally orbi network with 10.0.0.x

Now a disconnect of the LTE connection does not result in a new IP for the Orbi - and the VoIP stay connected even after a new LTE connection (and new external IP for the LTE router)

It seems Orbi is unable to communicate the new internet IP to the VoIP clients (or they don't understand it) if the LTE router is in bridge mode.

Double NAT is not very nice, but a least it is working now.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes bridging the modem doesn't work well however using the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi can work well. Glad you got working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7