Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi not compatable with netgear message ?

Uma_S510
Aspirant

Orbi not compatable with netgear message ?

Hello All

We have Netgear C7000v2 and Orbi  RBR50v2.

I get the message 'Orbi app does not support  your router model.'

So what to do?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi not compatable with netgear message ?

Bridge mode is on page 17 of the User Manual https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7000v2/C7000v2_UM_EN.pdf 

I believe that bridge mode will turn off the WiFi automatically.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Uma_S510 wrote:

We have Netgear C7000v2 and Orbi  RBR50v2.

I get the message 'Orbi app does not support  your router model.'

The Orbi "app" works only with Orbi products.  The C7000v2 uses the Nighthawk app.  The Orbi app has become confused and thinks you want it to configure the Nighthawk router, which it cannot do.  If the smartphone is connected to the Nighthawk WiFi, it cannot find the Orbi and thinks the Nighthawk is what you want it to configure.

I realize that Netgear has jumped firmly into the 21st Century where everything can be done with a smartphone app, HOWEVER...

The app is a poor substitute for the Orbi web interface, which has access to all Orbi feature and controls, whereas the app can do the bare minimum.

There is no need to have "two routers".  (For many people, this causes no problems, but there are a number of situations where having a "Double NAT" makes things impossible: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

The general advice is to make one device "not a router", i.e.

• Put the Nighthawk into "bridge mode" using the Nighthawk app and turn off the WiFi on the Nighthawk, or
  • Leave the NIghthawk as the only router and place the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode using the Orbi web interface.

I would pick #1, put the Nighthawk into bridge mode.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I neglected to point out that we "old timers" would do all this with a computer that has an ethernet connection.

Set up the Nighthawk first by connecting directly to it.

Then connect the Orbi and connect the computer to the Orbi.

If you have no ethernet enabled computer, it will be a bit different.

Message 3 of 6
Uma_S510
Aspirant

Thanks for your response CrimpOn.

We need Orbi Mesh is our 3000 sq feet home and  with a teenager in the home, need to apply internet access controls.

I am not a tech person, so rephrase you suggestion, you are recommending to not use the Netgear wifi and use only Orbi Wifi?

Please clarify.

Thanks and Regards

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Uma_S510 wrote:

Thanks for your response CrimpOn.

We need Orbi Mesh is our 3000 sq feet home and  with a teenager in the home, need to apply internet access controls.

I am not a tech person, so rephrase you suggestion, you are recommending to not use the Netgear wifi and use only Orbi Wifi?

I agree. A 3,000 sq. ft. house will need more than one WiFi access point, and a "mesh" system such as Netgear Orbi offers seamless coverage.  On the question of Parental Controls, both products claim to provide that:

C7000v2: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/CableModems/C7000.pdf (page 4)

Orbi: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBR50v2.pdf (page 1 and footnote on page 4)

My own preference would be to install the NIghthawk and use the Nighthawk app to place the Nighthawk router in "bridge mode". After you do that, there is a button on the front of the Nighthawk to turn off the WiFi signal. (This can be done at any time, so there is no hurry).

Then connect the Orbi yellow (WAN) jack to port 1 on the Nighthawk. (you will not use any of the other Nighthawk ports). Power up the Orbi until the Ring Light at the top turns BLUE. (takes 3-5 minutes).  Then, connect the smartphone with the Orbi app to the Orbi WiFi signal (not the Nighthawk).  Open the Orbi app and set up the system.

Teenagers are a LOT more computer savvy than adults.  I have no confidence that any "Parental Controls" are foolproof.

It might be a good idea to check out the Netgear community forum for Parental Controls and see if anybody mentions the specific product that you get when signing up today (for years it was Disney Circle, but now it might be something else).

before turning off the Nighthawk WiFi, I would definitely change the password to something really complex.  A simple push of the button restores a WiFi signal that completely bypasses the Orbi system.  Any teenager can figure that out.

Being paranoid, I might even consider buying three ethernet RG45 jack "locks" to keep him from plugging something directly into the Nighthawk.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Bridge mode is on page 17 of the User Manual https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7000v2/C7000v2_UM_EN.pdf 

I believe that bridge mode will turn off the WiFi automatically.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7