Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi not compatible with Netflix?

gettyjoe
Aspirant

Orbi not compatible with Netflix?

Netflix just won't work with the new Orbi.  We're getting an error message stating that it looks like we're using an unblocker or VPN...we're not.  The guy at Netflix told my wife that, in effect, Netflix doesn't work with Orbi because of the way devices switch between one unit and the other to get the best signal, or something like that.  I switched back to our older Netgear router and everything's perfect.

All software is up to date.  I'm semi-computer-literate but I can follow directions!

Has anyone run into this?  Is there a fix?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@Dacs wrote:

Hey! Thanks for replying.

My current set up is;

Model ORBI RBR50

Firmware V2.7.3.22

Virgin hub 3.0< The ISP modem you have has a built in router and wifi alredy. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Try option #2 first....

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 20

All Replies
creaky
Star

Are all streaming services problematic or just Netflix? I suspect your problem has more to do with the device you're using to stream (Roku, Amazon Stick, etc.) than the service.
Message 2 of 20
st_shaw
Master

Orbi works fine with Netflix for me.  Do you maybe you have an old router still in use? Can you describe what equipment you have and how it's wired up?

Message 3 of 20
gettyjoe
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  We were attempting to stream Netflix through a smart TV, two different PC laptops and a chromebook.  Same error message for all. 

Message 4 of 20
gettyjoe
Aspirant

We had the Orbi hard wired into an Arris cable modem from our ISP.  All the devices (Sony smart TV, 2 PC laptops, Chromebook, 3iPhones on wifi.  Great signal and functionality with everything but Netflix.  Took the Orbi off and put our Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) back in and Netflix was immeditely great.

FWIW, we could see Netflix on our devices, browse shows, etc. and it recognized us fine. But when we attempted to watch...error message.

Message 5 of 20

the question is are you in the country allow to view the data or are you trying to break some sort of geoblock

if trying to jump a geo block you may need to have the r7000 running as the router and turn of its wifi and have the orbi system running in AP mode behind it just doing the wifi

i suspect its a dns issue

Message 6 of 20
rhester72
Virtuoso

Could also be that the switch to Orbi prompted a DHCP address change from the ISP, and the one the OP got just so happened to previously be assigned to someone who was known to run a relay like Tor.  If that's the case, it'll expire on its own...eventually.

Netflix in particular is also VERY intolerant of IPv6 gateways like Hurricane Electric.

Rodney

Message 7 of 20
cyberprashant
Luminary

no problems here w charter cable for > 1 yr with orbi + netflix. (RBR50)

Message 8 of 20
gettyjoe
Aspirant

Thanks!  We're just an average family in Northern CA,USA trying to watch Netflix!

Message 9 of 20
bobthebuilder19
Initiate

I went to http://orbilogin.net/QOS_wmm.htm and unselected wmm  WMM: Wi-Fi Multimedia enhances quality of service on wireless LAN by prioritizing data packets

Seemed to fix the issue without having to roll back firmware.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 10 of 20
cyberprashant
Luminary

i watch netflix all the time on Chromecast and sometimes on the dish network tuner netflix app - no issues.  Make sure your router or satellite isn't too far from the device. 

I have : everything default I didn't change the WMM.  OpenDNS parental control (if you're using circle try disabling that?).   Also turn OFF fast roaming but leave these checked

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO

Try a chromecast they work great

Message 11 of 20
DudeDad
Apprentice

Just set up my Orbi systems 3 weeks ago.  No problem with Netflix both from wired devices ad wireless.  Good luck!

Message 12 of 20
guzzijason
Apprentice

@gettyjoe wrote:

The guy at Netflix told my wife that, in effect, Netflix doesn't work with Orbi because of the way devices switch between one unit and the other to get the best signal, or something like that.

I think they're going to have to come up with a better excuse than this. If Orbi had this problem, then all the other distributed/mesh systems out there should also be "incompatable" with Netflix. This is not the case, though. Whether or not you are jumping from satellite to satellite would be completely transparent to Netflix.

As a test, I just started a Netflix stream on my laptop and then started moving around the house. I verifiably saw my laptop jump from one Orbi satellite to another, and Netflix never missed a beat. So, gotta call b.s. on their claim that "Netflix doesn't work with Orbi".

Message 13 of 20
cyberprashant
Luminary

Occasionally on my TV's built in app netflix hiccups - I think this is more a netflix issue.  Try signing out of the app and back in.  No problems on iPads, chromecasts, and netflix all sorts of different places and locations.   Perhaps try a different wifi channel if you're in a congested wifi neighborhood.   Try channel 1 or 11.   

Message 14 of 20
Dacs
Aspirant

Did you manage to solve this. I’m having trouble with Netflix thinking I’m using a vpn, proxy etc.

I just need a very simple explanation of what to do as it’s annoying as hell
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What device are you using with Netflix? 

Connected wirelessly or wired to the Orbi system? 

Netflix is compatible. Probably a configuration issue is all. 

@Dacs wrote:
Did you manage to solve this. I’m having trouble with Netflix thinking I’m using a vpn, proxy etc.

I just need a very simple explanation of what to do as it’s annoying as hell

Message 16 of 20
Dacs
Aspirant

My current set up is;

Model ORBI RBR50

Firmware V2.7.3.22

Virgin hub 3.0

its a Samsung brand TV connected wirelssly.

signal tests is about 180mbps

the connections are fine and I can use Netflix normally. It's happened twice where I get a Netflix error that I'm using a vpn etc and suddenly I can only see global content.

it's happened to me once before and that was with a different router. A BT one.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@Dacs wrote:

My current set up is;

Model ORBI RBR50

Firmware V2.7.3.22

Virgin hub 3.0< The ISP modem you have has a built in router and wifi alredy. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Try option #2 first....

Message 18 of 20
Dacs
Aspirant

Hey man!

I checked your links and saw that virgin hubs have a really simple way of switching to modem only mode.

it took 30 seconds to do and all our Netflix programmes have come back.

I can't thank you enough. Because of COVID my partner can't visit her family in the east and the dramas on Netflix have been a life line in keeping her connected to her culture.

samsung couldn't help. Virgin couldn't help. Netgear telephone staff couldn't help and Netflix could help. All of the, blamed the other person.

much happiness to you!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Dacs wrote:

Hey man!

I checked your links and saw that virgin hubs have a really simple way of switching to modem only mode.

it took 30 seconds to do and all our Netflix programmes have come back.

I can't thank you enough. Because of COVID my partner can't visit her family in the east and the dramas on Netflix have been a life line in keeping her connected to her culture.

samsung couldn't help. Virgin couldn't help. Netgear telephone staff couldn't help and Netflix could help. All of the, blamed the other person.

much happiness to you!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7