Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi not connecting to internet

insomniaNL
Aspirant

Orbi not connecting to internet

Hi guys, I have a problem connecting to internet with my new Orbi set. Setting up wifi was a breeze, I can acces the admin on the Orbi using WiFi, but getting internet access seems not possible. I use a Huawei DSL router model HG659 (Vodafone internet, Netherlands). I have disabled the WiFi on the Huawei router, but the Orbi will not connect automatically to internet.

I think I should use AP mode (instead of router since I already have one) on the Orbi and I tried this setting too, but no luck: if I select this mode, I can no longer connect to the Orbi through WiFi. After using a pin to push the reset button I can access the Orbi again, and have to start over. Frustrating!!! Any tips for a struggling home owner?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Re: Orbi not connecting to internet

hi

the first thing to try is another ethernet lead between any of the lan ports in your  dsl modem and the orbi yellow wan port

also make sure there are no mac address filtering and or firewall rules set on the dsl modem that would block the orbi

Message 2 of 7
insomniaNL
Aspirant

Hi Petey, good idea: I swapped the cable for a new one, also changed the ports, but no luck... There is no mac address filtering or firewall rules that would block the orbi. I can see it gets assigned a valid IP address, but still no internet...

Anybody with some more tips? thanks.

Message 3 of 7

check to see if the adapter you are using hasnt got a static ip set on it and its set to obtain dhcp and dns automatically

how are you seeing it gets a valid ip address ? is that on the dhcp server of the modem or on the orbi its self

Message 4 of 7
insomniaNL
Aspirant

Hi Petey, DNS and DHCP are set to automatic, there is also no static ip set, so that shouldnt cause the problem. I can see the Orbi's ip address using my ipad, when I setup the Orbi (before I change any settings), the ip address shown for the Orbi is 192.168.1.2 (my Huawei router is 192.168.1.1).

After completing the Orbi setup to AP mode (and while not entering a static address, but letting the Orbi decide), the new IP address is way off (seeminly random IP address, totally out of this standard range) and the Wifi network cannot be used anymore until I reset the Orbi. Internet connection is always nonexistent...

Message 5 of 7
djc6
Luminary

I have no experience with Huawei HG659 but I suspect you need to set it to "bridge mode" to use Orbi.  In this configuration, do NOT put Orbi into "AP mode".

Here is a post describing how to setup Bridge Mode - check out 2nd post:

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Huawei-HG659-Bridge-Mode/td-p/169232

Message 6 of 7

yes the orbi will switch ip subnets if its see's an ip conflict during setup

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7