Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi not loading some sites or downloading Apple updates (404 message) Mac OS and iOS

penseroso
Aspirant

Orbi not loading some sites or downloading Apple updates (404 message) Mac OS and iOS

Orbi RBR53, used with a  Orange LiveBox 4 DSL in France. When I load some occasional pages (such as Neatgear) to ‘open’ sites (such as the local cinema) I am directed to a login.  In other words, I cannot get access.  I can temporally solve the problem by switching back to the LiveBox wifi and the page loads without a problem.  This also happens when I attempt to download an update from Apple’s Mac OS and iOS sites - the sites load but when I click <update> I get the message <We could not complete your update.The server gave an error during download: 404 Not Found>.  Again no problem if I switch back to the LiveBox.  There is, I think, a related problem: when certain kinds of images appear in emails (such as Netgear’s), they do not load in Apple Mail.  Is thgis a glitch or some sort of security at work?

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
penseroso
Aspirant

Re: Orbi not loading some sites or downloading Apple updates (404 message) Mac OS and iOS

Very many thanks for your help, Furrye38 and richin-rich.  Problem resolved - although in fact it was an IP conflict sorted out on the telephone with  Netgear technical support.  Very grateful for your support.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi not loading some sites or downloading Apple updates (404 message) Mac OS and iOS

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 14
penseroso
Aspirant

Thank you, FURRYe38.  I probably should have marked this post solved, although it isn't.  The issue seems well covered elsewhere.  My problem is having difficulty logging  in to Netgear Support because the 'load' problem extended to Netgear as well as other sites.  I am now negotiating with Technical Assist to try and resolve this but I think the problem should be resolved by changing from Router to AP mode.  But I really appreciate your full reply and I apologise if I have wasted your time.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the issue may have been that your ISP modem already had a built in router and wifi.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Please mark your post as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 14
riffin-rich
Aspirant

The solution is this simple.  Watch the youtube video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Turn-off Wifi on your original cable modem/router combo -- in my case, Verizon FiOS.  This allows your original cable modem/router to continue acting as the router and provide your network but not transmit a wifi signal.

Then on your Orbi, simply watch the video to enable Access Point mode on the Orbi (rather than it serving as a router behind your other router).  Now you'll only have one wireless network (your Orbi's wifi network). 

Good luck!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the user already mentioned they have set AP mode. 

@riffin-rich wrote:

The solution is this simple.  Watch the youtube video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Turn-off Wifi on your original cable modem/router combo -- in my case, Verizon FiOS.  This allows your original cable modem/router to continue acting as the router and provide your network but not transmit a wifi signal.

Then on your Orbi, simply watch the video to enable Access Point mode on the Orbi (rather than it serving as a router behind your other router).  Now you'll only have one wireless network (your Orbi's wifi network). 

Good luck!

Message 6 of 14
penseroso
Aspirant

Thank you both for your advice and suggestions.  The problem is that I cannot login to orbilogin.com – it won’t accept the admin/password.  After a couple of tries it defaults to asking for the serial number. This doesn’t work either.  The result is that I am unable to make the change-over from Router to AP.  Is the problem perhaps to do with my internet modem (Orange Livebox in France) even though I have turned off WiFi.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR with wired PC connected to the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. Setup a new password and write all important information down. Once the setup wizard is complete, you should be able to access the advanced tab/advanced settings/router and AP mode menu. Set up AP mode there. 

Review the 3 suggestions about your ISP modem. 

What is the model # of the ISP modem? 

Message 8 of 14
penseroso
Aspirant

Thank you very much, Furrye38.  I am very grateful for all your suggestions.  I am on a business trip now until the middle of the week but will try this out as soon as I get back.  I will report back to you then.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

@penseroso wrote:

Thank you very much, Furrye38.  I am very grateful for all your suggestions.  I am on a business trip now until the middle of the week but will try this out as soon as I get back.  I will report back to you then.

Message 10 of 14
penseroso
Aspirant

Very many thanks for your help, Furrye38 and richin-rich.  Problem resolved - although in fact it was an IP conflict sorted out on the telephone with  Netgear technical support.  Very grateful for your support.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. Mark your post as solved. 

Enjoy. 

Message 12 of 14
penseroso
Aspirant

Er, sorry but how do I mark it as resolved?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You did it. Thanks. 

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7