Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi not ready for prime time?

ArtLee
Apprentice

Orbi not ready for prime time?

I bought the RBK50 base+satellite system two days ago and already the system failed. And, I see firmware updates seem to come now and then, which makes me think Orbi is not yet ready for prime time... Am I right?

I've been using a years-old Airport Extreme + Express for several years without any problems. Except, with 8011n, slow speeds at my wife's desk. Now with faster Internet at 100 MBps and a new router, she gets close to 100 speed where she had only 15 MBps.

I want a stable system. And, this one, so far anyway, hasn't been stable. Will it be stable soon???

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
Techlore
Apprentice

I recommend contacting support if you are having trouble. It could be that it just needs a factory reset, or something along those lines. Have you contacted them?

support.netgear.com

Most people aren't having trouble with the Orbi so I'm assuming your problem is fixable. If support doesn't help I'd post your case numbers here and let everyone know what they say.

Message 2 of 9
ArtLee
Apprentice

I have contacted support. waiting for a reply. This is the only device I've ever considered returning two days after I installed it. And, I'm an old fart, in my 70's and I don't feel like spending time trying to make something work. Thanks for your response. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 9
st_shaw
Master

For some folks, like me, it has been stable for months. Yes, I have seen mine mess up before, but it's always been my fault--e.g. because I had the router and satellite too far apart, I had another access point right next to it, or I had other devices on the same WiFI channel causing interference.

Your problems could be due to your environment, but if that's the case they won't go away without some effort.

Message 4 of 9
ArtLee
Apprentice

It worked great for 48 hours. My issue is stability.
Message 5 of 9
st_shaw
Master

I can't tell what you're looking for and what your failure was. But, if by "stability" you mean you want a system with no future firmware updates, then forget it.  The system automatically updates and there will be more updates soon.

Message 6 of 9
ArtLee
Apprentice

Hmm. Things stopped after the firmware was issued. But it didn't install until an hour later. I was logged into the router when an update notice popped up. I clicked on the update page and told it to download and install. So I don't know why things had fallen over earlier.
Message 7 of 9
ArtLee
Apprentice

No. I'm not asking 'no updates.'
Message 8 of 9
ArtLee
Apprentice

We were watching a movie on Netflix when the satellite stopped.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7