Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi or Nighthawk A7000 Massive Ping Spikes

LSweet
Aspirant

Orbi or Nighthawk A7000 Massive Ping Spikes

This has started to get much worse recently but for a long I would experience lag spikes that would last about 3 seconds. These lag spikes would happen about every 20-30 seconds. I would ping google in my CMD and everytime I noticed one of these lag spikes ingame, I would check the CMD and notice that my ping went from around 20-30 to 2000-3000 or it would even say "Request timed out." Now I still do not know if it is my network adapter, Nighthawk AC1900 since I have of them causing ping spikes, or my Orbi routers because I seem to get the problem worse when connected to them than when I am at my other house connected to a simple Asus router. The thing is, I experienced them on both routers, which led me to think it was the AC1900 Adapter while when I connect to the Orbis, as just mentioned, it happens much much more frequently. One thing I noticed is that it does not happen when I connect my Laptop to the wifi, tho it does get lag spikes about the same times, they are only about 40ms. If anyone has had similar problems with the AC1900 or the Orbi mesh system, I would truly appreciate some help. Thank you.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi or Nighthawk A7000 Massive Ping Spikes

If pings are good when closer with the PC wirelessly and good with wired directly to the RBR, then I would presume your adapter maybe the cause if what your seeing. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

So this happens wtih out the wifi adapter being online? 

How is your test pc connected to the RBR? wired or wireless? 

Message 2 of 7
LSweet
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware for both the router and my single satelite.

My orbi is operating in Router Mode.

My Router and Satelite and about 30 ft apart.

I use auto channels for 2.4 Ghz but I set my 5 Ghz to 36 because it was the best and most open.

I do have neighbors around with wifi but they run on different channels.

I just disabled BEAMFORMING just to see if it helps but I do have WMM and MIMO enabled.

I have Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, and IPv6 disabled.

My test PC is my laptop and it has its own built in wireless adapter but it doesn't seem to have any problems.

I have not tried to set up my main with with Ethernet but I tried another network adapter and after like 2 minutes the thing stayed "Request timed out" when I pinged google. Its like it also lag spiked but never recover. Another thing I have noticed is the lagspikes seem to go away for about 30 minutes after I restart my router.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do this, Turn OFF the RBS and disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT. Ping the RBRs IP address 192.168.1.1...Use a wired connection first, then try wireless. 

Message 4 of 7
LSweet
Aspirant

My modem is an Surf Board SB6183.

First time I pinged my router I got ping jumps again from about 3ms to about 600ms about every minute, sometimes the request just timed out. I then moved my router right next to me and did the same thing wirelessly and I didn't get any ping spikes for the 5 minutes I tested. I then tried wired and I got >1ms ping and no ping spikes either. My router and modem are only about 20-30 feet away from my PC so I don't think where my router's location is the problem. I am not sure what this means but it is strange. I really think the problem is with my Nighthawk adapter.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If pings are good when closer with the PC wirelessly and good with wired directly to the RBR, then I would presume your adapter maybe the cause if what your seeing. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear has a community forum for WiFi adapters.  Perhaps someone who watches that forum can offer advice?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/bd-p/home-wifi-adapters 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7