Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi or Powerline

tel851
Tutor

Orbi or Powerline

I live in a two-bedroom unit that is approximately 108m2 or 1160sq ft. My AVM Fritzbox 7590 modem is located in a closet with the NBN box (National Broadband Network).

Occasionally my WIFI signal is weak in the bedroom so I was looking at getting a Netgear Orbi or a Netgear Powerline to boost the WIFI signal in the areas of the unit where the signal is weakest.

Do I get an Orbi router to connect into my current modem and an Orbi Satellite to place somewhere else in the unit, or do I get an Orbi Satellite only and sync it with my current modem?

On the other hand, do I get a Netgear Powerline and connect it with my Netgear Hub as my TV, Apple TV and PVR are connected to the HUB via RJ-45 cables?

Any ideas please?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
tel851
Tutor

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're living in a condo or apartment, I'd probably avoid powerline unless your devices are on the same exact circuit. 

Reason I say this is powerline is sensitive to interference and apartments/condo's tend to have quite a bit of interference from sketchy devices on the power system. I haven't had much luck in getthing them working decently on seperate circuits in apartments. 

The other issue is orbi. It might work great for you. It might not as many things can impact wireless performance. Lots of apartments/condos are made with brick walls. Which block wifi great. Plus there tends to be a lot of signals from everyone having their own wifi. which creates interference. 

And trying to use a single satellite and not the router will only work with the RBS40V and the RBS50Y. They're the only 2 orbi satellites that have extender mode and don't "need" the primary router. The other systems all need a router to control it. 

so do we have an answer that will 100% fix your problem? no. 

What I'd do is buy your setup from somewhere with a generous return policy so you can try the system and see how it works. If it works great, use it. If it doesn't, bring it back and try something else. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

@tel851 wrote:

I live in a two-bedroom unit that is approximately 108m2 or 1160sq ft. My AVM Fritzbox 7590 modem is located in a closet with the NBN box (National Broadband Network).

Occasionally my WIFI signal is weak in the bedroom so I was looking at getting a Netgear Orbi or a Netgear Powerline to boost the WIFI signal in the areas of the unit where the signal is weakest.

Do I get an Orbi router to connect into my current modem and an Orbi Satellite to place somewhere else in the unit, or do I get an Orbi Satellite only and sync it with my current modem?

On the other hand, do I get a Netgear Powerline and connect it with my Netgear Hub as my TV, Apple TV and PVR are connected to the HUB via RJ-45 cables?

Any ideas please?

Message 3 of 6
tel851
Tutor

I have attached a couple of photos to show you where my modem is located, which is in a cupboard, next to my kitchen. I don't think I can move my modem to a better location as there are three RJ-45 cables connected to the modem which connect to my study room and lounge room via a network of wall sockets.IMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpg
In the lounge room I have a Netgear Hub which has RJ-45 cables connected to my TV, Apple TV and PVR

IMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpg

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

with your setup and each room being wired, you could centrally locate an access point. 

You could use a router, an extender with access point mode, or even an access point. 

having everything hardwired gives you lots of options. 

Message 5 of 6
tel851
Tutor

Thanks plemans.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements