Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi or iOS 14 blocking websites/apps

pack09
Aspirant

Orbi or iOS 14 blocking websites/apps

Since setting up my mesh Orbi (RBR750) system I have noticed websites and apps on my phone (iPhone 12 with iOS 14) will not load, “server not found” & “try connecting again” errors are occurring. I did the 443 and 80 ports, but still not getting consistent performance. I have firmware V3.2.18.1 and I have also utilized openDNS as well to try and help. I have tried turning Armor on and off. Is there something I am missing. Windows 10 computer on explorer seems fine, Roku TV seems fine. iPhone IS NOT lol. Help please.
Message 1 of 13
antinode
Guru

Re: Orbi or iOS 14 blocking websites/apps

> [...] iOS 14 [...]

The usual recent iOS complaint is this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

but that affects whole wireless connections, not selected traffic.

> [...] I did the 443 and 80 ports, [...]

I don't know what that means, but it sounds misguided.

Message 2 of 13
pack09
Aspirant

Thanks for the provided link, I have read similar threads. Tried both private and not. Seems to be indifferent.

As for the ports: 443 is to allow HTTPS and 80 is for HTTP. I have read several complaints that porting both helps.

This morning I have reset my modem (personally owned Arris S33 D3.1) through my ISP, and rebooted my router after applying WPA3 security. That did not change anything except remove my IoT that cannot connect that way, so that’s not an option either.
Message 3 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] Tried both private and not. Seems to be indifferent.

As I wrote, it didn't seem to apply.

> As for the ports: 443 is to allow HTTPS and 80 is for HTTP. I have
> read several complaints that porting both helps.

I know how these ports are used.  What you did with them is (still) a
mystery.  If you're talking about port forwarding, then that is relevant
for _incoming_ connections to a (web) server; it's irrelevant for using
a web browser.  What, exactly, does "porting" a port or "doing" a port
mean to you?  I also don't know what you might have read.

> [...] Arris S33 [...]

That's a modem; it should be transparent.

Does this iPhone work as expected when connected to some other
router?  Do other wireless devices work (with the same web sites/pages)
that cause problems with this iPhone?

"server not found" sounds like DNS, but I know nothing about your DNS
configuration(s).

Message 4 of 13
pack09
Aspirant

As for what I did with ports: Under advanced/security/block services I listed the two mentioned as “never” block for all IPs. Maybe that’s foolish of me.

I did a modem reset from my ISP account, and then a router reboot afterwards—that seems to have helped over the weekend. Other devices have no problem with websites that the iPhone had problems with. But the apps that were in question were exclusive to the phone and appear to be fine now.
Message 5 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] Under advanced/security/block services I listed the two
> mentioned as "never" block for all IPs. Maybe that's foolish of me.

I wouldn't expect it to do anything useful.  The default condition is
not to block anything. I wouldn't expect adding explicit rules which do
nothing to be helpful.

> [...] appear to be fine now.

Watchful waiting might be the best you can do for now.

Message 6 of 13
Loftin110
Aspirant

@MyPrepaidCenter wrote:
Since setting up my mesh Orbi (RBR750) system I have noticed websites and apps on my phone (iPhone 12 with iOS 14) will not load, “server not found” & “try connecting again” errors are occurring. I did the 443 and 80 ports, but still not getting consistent performance. I have firmware V3.2.18.1 and I have also utilized openDNS as well to try and help. I have tried turning Armor on and off. Is there something I am missing. Windows 10 computer on explorer seems fine, Roku TV seems fine. iPhone IS NOT lol. Help please.

The suggested solution is to reset the Orbi system and not turn Armor on, but this is not a satisfactory solution in my view, as I purchased a  paid subscription to Armor for the protection it claims to provide.

My Orbi System is an RBR50 router, with two RBS50 satelites connected. Firmware is the latest version V 2.5.1.16.

Message 7 of 13
Dydefox
Aspirant

Same here, still blocking issues.

The suggested solution: reset everything en reinstall router and satellites resulted in a further problem: not able to download firmware. Skipped that, but the problem remains: blocked apps are banking, google (including google search!) and other apps that use some blocking data.

I have tried altering DNS, IP and other methods, but still I have to switch to cellular to check my Gmail, bankaccount and webcams.

All other devices and apps are working fine, iPhones and iPads excluded.

WHY O WHY is this not easy to solve? Please let me know...getting desperate.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Dydefox wrote:

Same here, still blocking issues.

The suggested solution: reset everything en reinstall router and satellites resulted in a further problem: not able to download firmware. Skipped that, but the problem remains: blocked apps are banking, google (including google search!) and other apps that use some blocking data.

I have tried altering DNS, IP and other methods, but still I have to switch to cellular to check my Gmail, bankaccount and webcams.

All other devices and apps are working fine, iPhones and iPads excluded.

WHY O WHY is this not easy to solve? Please let me know...getting desperate.

Message 9 of 13
Dydefox
Aspirant

Firmware V3. 2. 18. 1 RBR 850

ISP T-mobile modem Draytek 2132F 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Dydefox wrote:

Firmware V3. 2. 18. 1 RBR 850

ISP T-mobile modem Draytek 2132F 

Message 11 of 13
Dydefox
Aspirant

Thanks, but it was there where I found out that this problem (DNS time out) despite the new firmware (4.6.3.9.) still remained unsolved.

There must be some way to resolve this annoying problem...

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please over there and will try to help you out. 

Thank you. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7