Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi outdoor RBS50Y leaks..ruined by water

Orbi outdoor RBS50Y leaks..ruined by water

I noticed my backyard devices were not connected any longer to the internet today after our first rain in 9 months yesterday.  Immagine my surprise when I took off my Orbi outdoor satellite RBS50Y specifically designed to be outdoors and waterproof and found it full of water and water fooded out when it was turned over.  I have only had it a little over a year.

I called customer and technical support and was told it could not possibly be leaking and it was out of warranty.  See for  yourself and be warned.  Anyone else have this problem and just lost over $300 to deceptive advertising?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact one of the forum moderators to see if there is any other options for you. We have not seen other users post about this. Possible that this was a odd manufacturing defect which cause it to fail. I hightly doubht that NG is doing any deceptive advertising. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 33
McBarch
Initiate

We went outside recently and ours has water in it too. I can’t believe we’re the only two people!
I opened ours up and I’m letting it dry out now. Hopefully it will still work.
Message 3 of 33

Ahhhhh...sorry to hear about it but glad you let me know.

It is ridiculous that they advertise that it is weatherproof for outdoor use, charge extra for it,

then refuse to admit that it leaks.

I hope yours works eventually but mine was full of water and no matter how long I have let it dry out,

it will not even power up, let alone work and join the router.

Thanks again for your input.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 33
sterlinga
Initiate

The EXACT same situation befell me!

I removed the guts from the plastic box hoping that a ood dry in the sun might restore function, but it was not to be. I also used the opportunity to check for a possible reset button (like a GFI backstop for when the promised IP66 fails) also not to be. 

I did find that the pressure required of the housing to press against the delicate gasket surrounding each (illuminated) end piece BECOMES INSUFFICIENT IF THE UNIT IS ALSO EXPOSED TO THE SUN AND THE CASING BEGINS TO BOW OUTWARD ... AS IN MY CASE. 

A clear design flaw exacerbated by a design failure (no backup GFI) . Now this $300US piece of NetGear is an oversized paperweight.

Message 5 of 33

So sorry to hear but glad to keep hearing from those who have been let down by Netgear, who refuses to accept that there could be a design flaw.

Please complain to them, even if they claim it is out of warranty.  Let us know what results you get.

Message 6 of 33
mgil1
Star

Exact same problem - fitted two of these outside about a year ago - when removing one to use elsewhere I discovered it had water inside the casing - still washing around and explains why signal was always so bad from this one - absolute disgrace in design for this to happen - other one is working fine and seems still to be dry

Message 7 of 33
mgil1
Star

So having had this problem I spent last evening stripping down the unit - since it was pretty much dead from about an inch of water that had caused various damage to the circuit board - photo attached - I dried the inside of the unit and components - sprayed the circuit board with IPA (Isopropylalcohol) and left it to soak and clean off for about 4 hours - I was able to kick the unit back into life - I've reassembled and will reuse outdoor only where it has a cover over the top (ie under eaves of a roof like the other one I have which was not damaged) - stripping the unit down shows this is not water proof - the seal top and bottom look more 'weather proof' - where I had these units in Scotland they could not deal with the sustained rain downfall we tend to get up here-anyway its back working - word to the wise if you are in a reallly wet area put it under some sort of cover - just to stop direct downfalls of rain onto the slanted top part of unit!

Message 8 of 33

Thank you for both of your recent replies.  

It is certainly a defect and for Netgear to deny this is outright fraud.

Have any of  you been successfu in having customer service or warranty address this other than to deny responsibility?

Also, your solution of taking it apart and having it work again is quite amazing.  Thanks for sharing that.

Message 9 of 33
NRICK
Initiate

Just checked mine.  It is ruined.  Water inside. Poor Netgear design.

Message 10 of 33
Mstrbig
Master

It is poor design in certain environments. They don't make it a year in Florida, especially this time of year where it rains a lot and the heat is terrible. Then add sand, wind, birds, lizards, etc. We had an install where birds used it as a perch and chewed on te corners. A $300 device that guarantee waterproof, should have a longer warranty more like 3 years.

Message 11 of 33
DJones80
Initiate

Exact same problem with mine.  I had it on the side of the house in a a spot that gets some sun and the it was apparently enough heat to make the seals junk.   

I opened it up and let it dry out for days and it still doesnt work.   I checked the power supply, and the voltage on the circut board and it gets power but does nothing.   Im certain one of the capacitors is bad and have no idea how to fix it.   I was thinking about taking it to a computer shop or finding a place I can mail it in for repair ??

I purchased this soley because it was intended to be used OUTDOORS, very disapointed with the product design. 

Message 12 of 33
Mstrbig
Master

Unfortunately the RBS50Y can't hold up to all weather elements forever. So basically if they leak after 1 year, Netgear will not warranty it. 

Down here in Florida, they hardly make it a year. I have found placing them in covered shaded areas help them last longer. We stopped installing them and now use weatherproof boxes and regular Satellites. They range from $30 to well over $100, depending on size and brand. That's the only solution if the router is going to be in a sunny, very hotor cold, out in the open environment. 

Message 13 of 33
mgil1
Star

See my earlier post....I had exact same poroblem but soaked the circuit board in IPA (Iso proply Alcohol) left oit to dry for 4 hours and it miraculously came back to life after a reboot - if this works and you want to continue to use it outside wrap some electric tape around the seals to prevent reoccurence

hope it helps good luck

Message 14 of 33
Mstrbig
Master

@mgil1 wrote:

See my earlier post....I had exact same poroblem but soaked the circuit board in IPA (Iso proply Alcohol) left oit to dry for 4 hours and it miraculously came back to life after a reboot - if this works and you want to continue to use it outside wrap some electric tape around the seals to prevent reoccurence

hope it helps good luck

Electrical tape will not hold up. Your best bet would be to use silicone caulk on all assembly joints. and for added protection, a customer painted theirs with Elastomeric paint, from top to bottom, as when it dries it is a solid sheet of rubber coating.

Glad you got yours working again.

Message 15 of 33
urkase3
Aspirant

Honestly it looks as if my Iphone X will not connect to the satellite tv for pc. I suppose once I'm ~50ft from my residence it connects with reviews to fundamental router, then when i flow similarly away it drops from major router and doesent pick up the nearby satellite?

Message 16 of 33
huff240
Initiate

I really sad for this behavious of seller or manufacturer who ignore to replace it. Its responsibility of company why water proof thing contains water in it? What the hell it is? it is game of water ball? Secondly as you mentioned first time rain comes and it happened. We can consider it even too much rains and it is flooded with water due to that. Shameful act of those companies and seller. 

Message 17 of 33
alokeprasad
Mentor

One year of warranty use would expose them to some rain and temperature changes.  All seals deteriorate with time, temperature and moisture, unfortunately, but not that soon.

I don't have this device.  A well-sealed device with rubber gaskets should take a soaking and last many years, you'd think ...

When I buy an outdoor device (I have a couple of Ring battery operated cameras), I hose them down a few times with my garden hose to check their seals. Well within the warranty period, of course.

Message 18 of 33
Mstrbig
Master

@mgil1 wrote:

hope it helps good luck

We stopped using the RBS50Y because they don't hold up in Florida. We now use an RBS50, (or any satellite), with a 3rd party weatherproof box. We've had great luck, in the past before mesh systems, installing outside routers around motels, etc for years. So we decided to apply this application for a yard satellite, after many RBS50Y failures.

Message 19 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

(Thanks for the hint that Amazon carries a wide variety of weatherproof enclosures.)  Can you please expand on how Orbi satellites handle the heat when hermetically sealed in one of these?

Message 20 of 33
sterlinga
Initiate

I recall your first posting about success with alcohol. Actually, I have used that togrther with sun-baking on cellphones I have taken swimming. I tried with my Orbi but my damage was either more extensive or just too much time had elapsed but it didn't help.

I am interested in the weatherproof box idea, since the other units work fine. Can you share a specific product id that fits the Orbi?

(Still very disappointed with NetGear for ignoring all these stories. Maybe it's time to share this with Top Class Actions or Class Action.org)

Message 21 of 33
Mstrbig
Master

There are many boxes to choose from on Amazon and other places. They are many different prices as well. Just make sure you choose on that fits the satellite you are using. This one is fairly inexpensive. 

LeMotech ABS Plastic Dustproof Waterproof IP65 Junction Box Universal Electrical Project Enclosure W...

This one a little nicer:

Altelix NEMA Enclosure 14x11x5 (12" x 8" x 4" Inside Space) Polycarbonate + ABS Weatherproof Tamper ...

This is more nicer:

Orbit Controller Enclosure Cabinet Box - Outdoor/Indoor Weatherproof Waterproof - Tool Cabinets - Am...

Heat here in Florida doesn't seem to cause any issues. Most boxes have some sort of ventilation, but still keeps the rain water out. 

And we get some bad rainstorms here. 

Message 22 of 33
HayleynAndy
Initiate

I have one that is ful of water as well.

@McBarch wrote:
We went outside recently and ours has water in it too. I can’t believe we’re the only two people!
I opened ours up and I’m letting it dry out now. Hopefully it will still work.

Message 23 of 33

This last post appears to be spam.

Message 24 of 33
Dolcinea
Aspirant

Just found out why my barn cameras were not working.  My outdoor Orbi satellite had water in it.  I spent about $350 for the unit and it was advertised as wheaher proof.  Not the case.  

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7