Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi outdoor RBS50Y leaks..ruined by water

CrimpOn
Guru

@Dolcinea wrote:

Just found out why my barn cameras were not working.  My outdoor Orbi satellite had water in it.  I spent about $350 for the unit and it was advertised as wheaher proof.  Not the case.  

over a year old? Some users have been able to dry it out.

Message 26 of 33
alokeprasad
Mentor

And put it in a weather-proof enclosure after drying and testing it?

If you use it as-it, it will get flooded again.

Less than a year old? Return it under warranty.

Message 27 of 33
fsse3443
Aspirant

I can apprehend now not having a UPS with so little use. But it does make a energy slump #1 on my list of suspects. If there may be a nearby UPS, you may need to plug it in there, even if the NAS is not set up to display it. If the trouble is going away, you've got determined the culpret.

Message 28 of 33
randomousity
Luminary

Some credit cards offer an extended warranty to purchases paid for with that card. I know at least some American Express cards offer this, and have taken advantage of the program and been reimbursed by the card issuer for a phone that died out-of-warranty.

If it has a one-year warranty, and died out-of-warranty, there's probably not much you can do, unfortunately. It lasted as long as they said it would last.

Message 29 of 33
mastephens2021
Aspirant

Yes.  Same problem here.  I am pretty upset and bummed.  I had the device attached to my back deck so we would have reliable wifi service on the back patio.  Then, I noticed that it wasn't working...It was disconnected from the network maps and just wouldn't connect. After trying everything I could think of in the app, I decided to take it down.  To my surprise, the OUTDOOR satellite was filled with water!  I couldn't figure out how water got in it. There are no visible cracks or spaces on the device. Also, I have had it sitting for months inside, hoping the water would somehow evapourate, so I could get it to work again.  No such luck, the water is still in it.  What's most disappointing to me was that when it first happened, I couldn't even figure out how to get a hold of a live person at Netgear support for help.  I was really mad, so I just gave up.  Just calmed down enough to try again.  Up until now, I only bought netgear products.  Very, very, very, disappointed. Talk about deceptive advertising.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 30 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Since it is dead, you have nothing to lose by taking it apart to get the water out. 

The FCC filing gives me the impression that removing the screws on the  back may allow the case to be pried open.

From the picture, some look like Philips head and some like Torx.

https://fccid.io/PY317200377/Test-Report/RF-Test-Report-BLE-3662484 

Page 5 seems to indicate that the top and bottom can come off.

Message 31 of 33
McBarch
Initiate

The top and bottom do come off with a little effort.  We opened it up, let it dry out, and reinstalled the top and bottom covers with some added silicon sealer (from a store like Home Depot) so that it would flex with it.  I have also been keeping it upside down for now so that if any water were to get in, it would sit in the open space at the top as opposed to submerging the electronics at the bottom. So far we have not gotten any new water in it in at least a year now. It has been working good so far!

Message 32 of 33
mastephens2021
Aspirant

Appreciate it guys.  I did manage to unscrew and get the back off and drain the water out just now.  I am going to let it sit and dry for a few days.  I'll keep you posted.  

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7