Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi- peculiar problem

Ankuragg
Tutor

Orbi- peculiar problem

Have been using orbi router + 1 satellite for over 4 months now. Works well in all rooms except one room that is further away. Although the wifi bars show 3 to 2 in that room, the internet does not seem to work there although wifi signal strength remains medium to strong. Any ideas to address this will be very helpful.

Regards
Ankur
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Ankuragg
Tutor

I took away the DIR-615 completely and directly connected orbi router to RJ45 from wall with orbi in router mode last evening. Did PPPoE internet connection with isp provided username password and internet got connected. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am still not sure if my original problem of farthest room not getting internet while wifi signal shows medium to good is completely solved but seemed to be holding longer in this room now. Will monitor for few days

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 25

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the building material made up of? Wooden? or concrete?

What FW are you using currently on the system?

What is the Sqfeet of the this building?

What is the distance between the router and Satellite? 30 feet to begin with minimum.

Message 2 of 25
Ankuragg
Tutor

building material is concrete. I live in an apartment of size 3400 sq ft, firmware of Orbi (both router and sateliite) is V2.1.4.10. the distance between router and satellite is approx 30 feet. The room that I face this problem in is approx 50 feet away from the satellite.

thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 25
tsig
Luminary

50' away thru concrete walls.  I think that is your problem.  Can you add an additional satellite and hardwire its backhaul?

Message 4 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ankuragg wrote:
Have been using orbi router + 1 satellite for over 4 months now. Works well in all rooms except one room that is further away. Although the wifi bars show 3 to 2 in that room, the internet does not seem to work there although wifi signal strength remains medium to strong. Any ideas to address this will be very helpful.

Regards
Ankur

what are you using to see 2-3 wifi bars?  if wifi bars are present and that deivce is connected (ip address) you should have internet access.  there may be something else going on.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, concrete is not good. You should start by moving the satellites closer to the router. Start with around 25 feet in between.

@Ankuragg wrote:

building material is concrete. I live in an apartment of size 3400 sq ft, firmware of Orbi (both router and sateliite) is V2.1.4.10. the distance between router and satellite is approx 30 feet. The room that I face this problem in is approx 50 feet away from the satellite.

thanks

Message 6 of 25
Ankuragg
Tutor

I am using different devices mostly iphone, ipads where I see 2-3 bars of wifi signals but with patchy to no internet working in that room. I think too that there is something else going on to not have internet when the wifi signal is not weak.

I changed my Orbi setting to AP Mode yesterday from router mode and seem to be getting internet connection in that room. fingers crossed and do not know if this at all could be a reason for my issue

Message 7 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"I changed my Orbi setting to AP Mode ..."

This is critical info that wasn't mentioned in your origianl post.  Sounds like you have another router/modem?

Message 8 of 25
Ankuragg
Tutor

Yes, have a wireless modem **bleep** router from d-link DIR-615, pic attached. One of its LAN port connects into Orbi. I had from the beginning disabled wifi on that d-link device. To be honest, did not know about AP mode before yesterday, stumbled upon in netgear support site yesterday. Can this have been the reason for my issue?
Message 9 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ankuragg wrote:
Yes, have a wireless modem **bleep** router from d-link DIR-615, pic attached. One of its LAN port connects into Orbi. I had from the beginning disabled wifi on that d-link device. To be honest, did not know about AP mode before yesterday, stumbled upon in netgear support site yesterday. Can this have been the reason for my issue?

Yes.  The d-link DIR-615 is a router.  The Orbi is a router.  You now have 2 routers.  IF you're going to run both, one must be in the AP mode.

My recommendation:  Ditch the d-link DIR-615.  If that doesn't work, get another SAT, look at a erthernet run or possible another router (AP Mode).  The d-link DIR-615 is old and not in service.  Good luck

@Ankuragg wrote:

Message 10 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ankuragg wrote:

Yes.  The d-link DIR-615 is a router.  The Orbi is a router.  You now have 2 routers.  IF you're going to run both, one must be in the AP mode.

My recommendation:  Ditch the d-link DIR-615.  If that doesn't work, get another SAT, look at a erthernet run or possible another router (AP Mode).  The d-link DIR-615 is old and not in service.  Good luck

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem that the DIR router is connected too?

I agreee, I would ditch the DIR router at some point. It's RJ45 ports only handle 100Mb, where the Orbi handles 1000Mb connection rates. The DIR will be a bottle neck.

@Ankuragg wrote:

Message 12 of 25
Ankuragg
Tutor

ISP did not provide a separate modem to me. Just this DIR-615 that gets directly fed in by broadband cable. If I directly connect orbi to broadband cable and configure in router mode then will that work?
Message 13 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ankuragg wrote:
ISP did not provide a separate modem to me. Just this DIR-615 that gets directly fed in by broadband cable. If I directly connect orbi to broadband cable and configure in router mode then will that work?

you need a modem, either stand alone or a built in unit (modem/router).  Netgear now makes a built in unit.  See other topic discussion folder here.  

I would call your ISP and ask...."OK coach, now what?  What modem do you recommend?

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes that should work if your ISP provides a RJ45 connection from there service box to the DIR router, then just connect that cable from the ISP to the Orbi router.

You might contact your ISP and ask about this to be sure.

@Ankuragg wrote:

Message 15 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes that should work if your ISP provides a RJ45 connection from there service box to the DIR router, then just connect that cable from the ISP to the Orbi router.

You might contact your ISP and ask about this to be sure.

@Ankuragg wrote:

they would still need some sort of modem,  the RJ45 is a connector with no real modulation properties.

Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

If the ISP provides internet up to a wall out let, then there is no need for a modem. This maybe the case.

Message 17 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the ISP provides internet up to a wall out let, then there is no need for a modem. This maybe the case.

i doubt it, especially if they want to send and receive and be able to modulate/de-mod the ISP signal.  it's not a s simple as plugging a pc or router into a wall outlet

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Some ISPs do that. The OP will have to ask the ISP.

Message 19 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Some ISPs do that. The OP will have to ask the ISP.

which ones?

Message 20 of 25
Ankuragg
Tutor

I took away the DIR-615 completely and directly connected orbi router to RJ45 from wall with orbi in router mode last evening. Did PPPoE internet connection with isp provided username password and internet got connected. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am still not sure if my original problem of farthest room not getting internet while wifi signal shows medium to good is completely solved but seemed to be holding longer in this room now. Will monitor for few days
Message 21 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ankuragg wrote:

Nice.  What did your ISP say about a modem requirement?  If your connection is straight from the wall outlet using a RJ45 (ethernet) to the Orbi, it sounds like your ISP is handling the modem function on their end.  My experience is with the ISP coming into the house via a coaxal cable which must be converted via a modem.  Who is your ISP?

Message 22 of 25
Ankuragg
Tutor

I did not call them just tried out direct connect based on suggestions here. Does look like they have modem etc upstream before my apartment. I am based in Bangalore and it is a local ISP here.
Message 23 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ankuragg wrote:
I did not call them just tried out direct connect based on suggestions here. Does look like they have modem etc upstream before my apartment. I am based in Bangalore and it is a local ISP here.

OK. I'm glad you've made some progress with your situtation. You may have saved yourself time and energy if you would have called your ISP BEFORE you bought the Orbi. Don't feel bad, it seems lots of folks do the same thing.

My apologies to you and all on this thread for any confusion I may have added. Good luck!

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like you were in a double nat condition. Glad you got it working better.

Let us know if you see any other problems. You should be good now.

@Ankuragg wrote:

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7