Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

netmaster2020
Follower

Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

Hi all, 

I recently purchased an RBK50 Orbi + satellite router but it is dropping internet connection randomly despite updating firmware to the latest V2.0.0.74.  This is more often the case upon waking up in the morning. 

Any suggestions?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 145
Vengeance
Tutor

I have the same issue, it did it today twice and every time I have to manually reset it with the supplied modem from my ISP, the problem here it's outside my apartment and it's really annoying thing ...  

i got RBR50 + 2 RBS 50 all updated to V2.0.0.74

Message 2 of 145
grizfan
Aspirant

Having same problem. Have to reset the Orbi router then everything works fine for awhile. Had to reset 5 times this morning. Worked great in previous firmware version after customer service helped me change a couple of settings. Why is it every time there's a firmware update I seem to have problems again?
Message 3 of 145
t19999mac
Initiate

Same problem.

After upgraded to 2.x, I faced drop connection randomly aroud 10 times per day.

I have to on-off the router, then it works for an hour or not. 

So regret with the investment of US$400 for this new router.

Message 4 of 145
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are still having disconnect issues with the latest firmware send me a PM with your name email and phone and I will get you in contact with support to work on this.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 5 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Ah, am glad it's not just me that's having this issue! I've just had a replacement router supplied by Netgear and having plugged it in this evening, it has reset itself twice in an hour. To me it looks like it's doing a power cycle of some sort as the router log clears when the connection drops. I'm in the UK, have Orbi in Router mode connected to a Virgin Media cable modem.

Message 6 of 145
RyderD
Initiate

I am having the same disconnect nightmare. This is so disappointing after spending $400. I should have stayed with Asus... Sigh. Is Netgear offering refunds for this product that doesn't work? Wirecutter recommended this mesh solution! I'm emailing them next! Grrrr. 

Firmware 2.0.0.74. MacOS High Sierra (10.13)

Message 7 of 145
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try turning off UPnP in advanced settings and see if that helps.  It's unlikely that it's a phsical router problem as some people had it replaced and the issue continues for them, so I think it's something in their network causing it.

Message 8 of 145
dtaron316
Aspirant

I have been having the same problems ever since the software update, and it's really becoming such a hassel with my security camera's they would be on for a few hours to bout a day then it would log off my security camera's and I would have to disconnect my secruity camera's from the outlet and connect it again, whihc I guess is lees of a hassel rebooting my Orb system, but the bad part is when my security camera's are off line that is the time I needed it the most. I wish Netgear would fix this update ASAP. 

Message 9 of 145
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unless your security camera can tell you what the strength of the wifi signal is to the camera, you may want to just adjust where you have your Orbi satellite - it's very possible that something else has changed around that time that you updated firmware. It's very possible that is a coincidence, and a new wifi signal in the neighborhood is interfering with yours. 

You may also want to look for updates for your network devices including security cameras. Also try turning off UPnP and seeing what happens.

Message 10 of 145
dtaron316
Aspirant

I have moved my Orbi satellite around my home and everywhere I place I have strong signal, I have scanned my area and no new networks were found. The security camera I am using is a Kuna Security camera and the firmware is up to date. In fact I switch one of my Kuna camera’# to my ISP’s router and have not have any problems since. My Alro camera is just on the other side of the wall by my Kuna Camera and it has not lost signal at all. My other Kuna Security camera is connected to my satellite orbi and that one occasionally looses signal unless I turn off and on again and it will work for a few hours to a day or two then looses connection again all this after the Orbi update before the update I never lost signal at all and was perfect while I was on vacation, but this new update has been disconnecting my camera connect to the Orbi system and my arlo never disconnects. I will try  turning off th UPnP to see if this helps.

Message 11 of 145
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Yep. Same issue. Given that I have my cameras and security system connected to this thing, I'm looking for another option.

Message 12 of 145
Sangwich
Star

My Orbi disconnects too. It's annoying when im playing games. The ethernet disconnects too.

Message 13 of 145
resonance120
Initiate

I have DISABLED the Daisy-Chain Topology in V2.0.0.74, and connection has become so much more stable. Have a try! 

Message 14 of 145
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Yep I disabled that too. In fact I disabled everything. At this point I just need to keep the thing running. I don't care if its any faster if its shutting down all the time.

Message 15 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestion, giving that a whirl! Only have one satellite can't do any harm - famous last words with Orbi..

Message 16 of 145
wash
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue and I just bought my Orbi yesterday 10/13/2017.  Come on Netgear you guys need to do something.  Stop blaming everything on the update and take action!!

Message 17 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Hi, I had a call from a Netgear engineer the other day having raised a support ticket and created merry hell over this. He was adamant that he knew how to solve it.

The issue does seem to be the firmware update and the introduction of the Enable Daisy Chain Topology. In my case, I only have one satellite, so don't need it to be trying to daisy chain, but this was enemy,ed by default when applying the firmware update.

I had already followed someone's advice on the forum and disabled this (Advanced Setup/Wireless Settings) and its been solid as a rock ever since. The Netgear engineer also suggested disabling Enable fast roaming (I assume its related to the Daisy Chain).

Suggest giving this a try, it's made a world of difference to me at least.

Good luck.

Message 18 of 145
ztevie
Guide

Yeah, that's nice...

Netgear: "Install our latest firmware. The orbi can now do daisy-chaining!"
Customer: "I installed your latest firmware and now nothing works, I have internet dropouts and the satellite won't connect? What can I do, please help!"
Netgear: "No problem! You need to turn off daisy-chaining in the settings..."
Customer: "Thanks, that worked! Awesome support, I love the orbi!"
Message 19 of 145
ISulaiman
Tutor

This has been a nightmare for me too. I got the 2.X firmware recently and it worked fine for a few days. In fact, those were the days when my Orbi worked the best. Then 3 days ago it started to drop the Internet 3-4 times a day. Searched the forum and did:

1. Fixed the timezone and checked the "adjust dst" box

2. Disable UPnP

3. Erase/reset the config

4. Disabled the daisy-chain (10 minutes later it promptly dropped the Internet!)

This has been the worst $400 I've spent, considering I had a very reliable Asus AC1200 before. Even when I just got it a few months ago it was a nightmare with slow speed. Just as I was going put the Asus back it started to become a bit more reliable with 1.12.x so I stayed on. Then 2.x came and it worked so well the first few days that I packed up my Asus and stored it away. But then the worst happened 3 days ago.

Come on Netgear, get your act together! Can't believe there are still positive reviews out there!

Message 20 of 145
ISulaiman
Tutor

Another update: It dropped internet again this morning even after disabling daisy chain all all the other steps I mentioned above.

I ended up hard resetting Orbi. After hard reset, instead of restoring the configuration I only made the following changes:

1. Changed SSID

2. Created a guest network

3. Disabled daisy-chain

4. Enabled beamforming

5. Enabled MU-MIMO

6. Changed to correct timezone and checked the dst box

It's been on for 15 minutes now. Let's see how it goes...

Message 21 of 145
ISulaiman
Tutor

So NO luck! All of the above steps got me a few hours before the internet connection was dropped again. Rebooted the router and now I am writing this update...

So in addition to the above I again disabled the UPnP. Now I am completely at a loss on what to do next. Can't trust this connection to do any web transaction. Any advice???

You guys at netgear should allow for a complete refund on this frustrating device. This product is nowhere close to ready and it's really unfair you've made some of us guinea pigs. Now, we need some follow up reviews to counter those glowing reviews...

Message 22 of 145
ztevie
Guide

@ ISulaiman
I'm puzzled why all the reviews out there are really great, still on this forum you find so many issues? Amazon user reviews are also pretty nice overall.
I totally understand that dissatisfied customers are far more likely to post on this forum, but obviously there's something to it. At first glance one would think there are some faulty units or there, but then you start to wonder cause some get problems after firmware updates....
I agree with you, Netgear should step up and offer refund or replacement for those of you having serious problems. Internet dropouts and lost satellites are no minor flaws, it's the major purpose of this device that doesn't work as it's suppose to....
Message 23 of 145
ISulaiman
Tutor

I think reviewers review this thing for a day or two, without using it for a long period of time. It would be great if they start doing long-term reviews.

In my case it was a bit slow with v 1.x in the beginning, then it improved. Occasionally I got some drop-outs (whole wifi, not just "internet") but it was still within the limits of my patience. When I got v 2.x, it was really great the first few days (no drop outs and increased speed). 4 days ago it just went to hell. And for me, the problem is with dropping of internet (not wifi)....

Message 24 of 145
Zainuah
Initiate

Hi there

My orbi router keeps dropping connection. It's getting really frustrated, I have tried all the steps listed in thread no bloody luck. Can anyone help
Message 25 of 145
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7