Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

DCP4971
Luminary

Have you got any other mesh devices on your network? I had an issue early on with Orbi where our SkyQ tv boxes which do their own mesh were running on the same channel as the Orbi which meant it kept dropping the connection to various devices. I just changed the channel on the Orbi and that solved the problem.

Message 26 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Message 27 of 145
Zainuah
Initiate

It's not the wifi even on ethernet it drops internet connection.

Was working perfectly for last 8 months but this month it's really bad
Message 28 of 145
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are still having disconnects send me a PM with your Name,Email, and phone number plus a brief description of the issues with the latest firmware and I will have our support team work with you.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 29 of 145
MARTINL10
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue, I think ever since the firmware update rolled out.  Now my Obitalk phone service keeps disconnecting.  Help please!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 30 of 145
Ikaruba
Aspirant

My Orbi keeps losing internet connection daily and I have to reboot both the modem and wifi. How do I fix it?
Message 31 of 145
Sangwich
Star

Call their tech support. If they can't help get a different router. That's what I did.
Message 32 of 145
kconnolly
Aspirant

Your
Product

RBR50

Serial 
Number

4PM772530576C

using with Fios router.

Wifi continuously drops all day - have reset to factory settings and re-installed.

Still dropping.  Kindly help!!

Message 33 of 145
adam123
Initiate

I have the latest firmware update and have factory reset both router and 2 satellites. My router will randomly reboot and flash white. This is very annoying.
Message 34 of 145
NDufour
Aspirant

Same problem here.  I work from home and I really need my internet connection to be reliable.

I have stopped counting the number of times per day I get disconnected.  Have tried all the solutions available without success.

Please help

Message 35 of 145
jasonjason
Guide

Do you happen to have a Google Pixel or Pixel 2 phone? Another device on Android 8.0 or 8.1?

Message 36 of 145
NDufour
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes, I have a Google Pixel 2 phone.  However, I do not notice the problem with my phone since it must switch to my LTE network when it needs to and I just don't notice the switch.  The real problem is with my Dell Laptop (Windows 10).  I work all day from home and I must get disconnected at least 20 times per day which is really annoying and frustrating.  I have just disconnected the satellite router, it is the only thing I haven't tried.

Message 37 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Have you got any other devices that mesh (Sky Q TV in the UK does a mesh netowrk) which can conflict with the channel that Orbi uses by default. I found that ours kept dropping as soon as the Sky mesh was established as it was using Channel 36, so moving to another channel worked a treat. Might be worth trying changing channel if you haven't already - it might sound nuts, but worth a try when you are at your whits end. Also disablling the daisychaining option if only one satellite worked when we had further issues.

Good luck!

Message 38 of 145
NDufour
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. No, I do not have any other mesh network and daisychaining is already disabled.

I just temporarily turned off my satellite and I will see if it helps (although it is not the solution I am looking for since it kills the purpose of Netgear Orbi) .  Will also try changing the channel.  I decided to buy the Netgear Orbi instead of the Google wifi, what a bad decision ... 😞

Thanks,

Message 39 of 145
DVM
Tutor
Tutor

I have this problem as well and learned I was not alone when a caller on Leo LaPorte's Tech Guy podcast complained about the same thing! http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1447/why-my-internet-dropping-out#disqus_thread

Message 40 of 145
netgearguy
Apprentice

@DCP4971 wrote:

Have you got any other devices that mesh (Sky Q TV in the UK does a mesh netowrk) which can conflict with the channel that Orbi uses by default. I found that ours kept dropping as soon as the Sky mesh was established as it was using Channel 36, so moving to another channel worked a treat. Might be worth trying changing channel if you haven't already - it might sound nuts, but worth a try when you are at your whits end. Also disablling the daisychaining option if only one satellite worked when we had further issues.

Good luck!

Can you explain why you recommend turning off Daisy Chain when you only have 1 satellite? Is Daisy Chain not used when only one satellite is present? 

Message 41 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Hi,

switching off daisychaining was was recommended by Netgear tech support when I’d been tearing out what little hair I have after the firmware update. If I understand the logic correctly, daisychaining really only has a function where more than one satellite is present and allowis Orbi to route the data via the most effective/efficient route, which could be that the second satellite is best served going via the first satellite, rather than being served directly from the router - hence the term daisychaining - you could bounce the data through multiple satellites to the farthest  point in your network and still get the best speed as there’s a 5ghz link between them all.

That’s my understanding at least. So, assume that there’s something in the firmware that doesn’t like daisychaining being on when there’s nothing to actually daisychain.

Our Orbi has been rock solid since disabling daisychaining, along with disabling the fast roaming option, which again I think is related to daisychaining.

Message 42 of 145
netgearguy
Apprentice

Thanks very much for the detials.

Interestigly, after a factory reset on 2.1 w/my RBR40/RBW30 combo, Daisy Chain was on by default on my single-satellite RBK30 system. I just turned it off to see if things improve. 

• Beamforming and Fast Roaming were turned off by default after the reset. 
  • MU-MIMO was turned on by default. 

What's the current guidance on Beam Forming and MU-MIMO on 2.1? Also off? 

Message 43 of 145
netgearguy
Apprentice

BTW, I turned off MU-MIMO as well and have been monitoring for stability for about four hours. No drops so far!  🙂

Message 44 of 145
jasonjason
Guide

I've had MU-MIMO off since the beginning of time. I *think* I tried turning it on a long time ago and found that my Ring doorbell won't work with it on. I know that was the case with Beamforming, but maybe MU-MIMO too.

That is to say, I haven't had MU-MIMO on this whole time and have had the same drop problems others have been reporting. I went 36 hours straight without the admin reporting a full drop (although my wife says her phone keeps losing wifi), so I thought some miracle had occured, but then everything dropped a few times this evening.

Message 45 of 145
netgearguy
Apprentice

Sorry to hear that.

I ended up with multiple drops tonight. Am arranging an RMA with support, and in the meantime am setting up Eero tomorrow.

Disappointed, wish this would work.
Message 46 of 145
WoodyJ007
Aspirant

Add me to this list. I've been having problems with Orbi dropping internet connection on my LAN devices (unmanaged circle devices) yet the dashboard says internet is fine. Reboot the router and it's all ok again....

Is there a Beta firmware that addresses some of these issues?  I'm out of my return window but unless things start getting fixed soon this will be my last netgear product ever.

Message 47 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

@jasonjason wrote:

Do you happen to have a Google Pixel or Pixel 2 phone? Another device on Android 8.0 or 8.1?

@jasonjason - this is a key question.  There is another thread where someone with a Pixel 2 is actually triggring the reboots.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 on Android 7.0, and like clockwork, my first time waking up the phone soft reboots the router.

Why did you ask this question?   I am about to make a new thread about phones, unless there is one something already out there.  Closest one I found was the one saying Google Home is causing reboots.

Message 48 of 145
jasonjason
Guide

I've been going down the "Pixel 2 is causing the issue" path for the past week. I'm still unconvinced one way or another.

(when I say reboots below, I mean all devices disconnected from router and satellite. I judge times by the "Up Time" in the Orbi Statistics. I have my RBK53 in AP mode behind an Asus router. None of the other devices connected to the Asus experience disconnection)

I have a Pixel 2 XL with 8.1, my wife has the same phone with 8.0. When I was getting reboots constantly (more than 1 per hour), I took both phones off the wifi overnight and had no reboots. I spent the next day with my phone OFF of wifi, hers ON wifi. No reboots. Wednesday morning, I had a reboot, put both phones back ON wifi, and had no reboots for about 36 hours. I've tried a lot of things, which I've detailed in various posts on this forum. Some of them seem to work for a while, then they don't. I think it's just kind of me doing a rain dance and thinking it worked when it eventually rains.

Message 49 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

Thanks for the great info @jasonjason.  Here's my situation: I woke up at around a little before 5am and checked my hone Galaxy s8:

1. This is the first entry in my Orbi log: [Initialized, firmware version: V2.1.1.12] Friday, December 15, 2017 04:49:20

2. My devices all disconnected, and 2 or 3 mnutes later re-connected.

This can't be a coincidence.  Same thing happened yesterday when I woke around 7am.

disco.png

Message 50 of 145
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7