Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

vreynolds
Luminary

Okay, mine is on, and I have been going more than 6 days without a reboot. This is the longest in over a month it's been stable. I wish I knew what I changed in my house. If anything, I've added more devices, including a Nvidia Shield which I believe is Android 8.0 something.
Message 76 of 145
NDufour
Aspirant

If this information can help,

My Orbi problems started about 3 weeks after I purchased the unit.
I didn't return the unit soon enough and I'm now stuck with it. I have a few Android samsung devices, One Pixel 2 phone, one LG phone,

2 ios devices, two smart tvs and 2 computers.

After a lot of trial and error, I have changed a few settings and my WiFi has been working
very well for more than 2 weeks. Those are the settings that I changed (those settings have

been posted multiple times on the forum so most of the users following this thread should be familiar with them)
- Disabled Daisy-Chain Topology
- Disabled Implicit BEAMFORMING
- Disabled MU-MIMO
- Disabled Fast Roaming

Those settings alone did not work.

I downloaded and ran this application: WirelessNetView
and changed my 2.4GHz Channel to a channel that had a combination of Good signal
+ no neighbors that used the same channel as the one I selected.

I also changed the location of my satellite router. Now, my main router and my satellite router
are farther appart.

Is this luck? I don't know, but everything has been working well for more than 2 weeks.

Message 77 of 145
slim2fattycake
Aspirant

Does anyone have issues with the wifi not working AT all after disabling the daisy-chain topology?

Message 78 of 145
pfworks
Guide

My wifi is working fine. What happens for me is that clients connected to the satellite can't route to the internet. They can talk to other hosts on my local network (including the router) just fine.

Message 79 of 145
pfworks
Guide

My wifi is working fine. What happens for me is that clients connected to the satellite can't route to the internet. They can talk to other hosts on my local network (including the router) just fine.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 80 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

For the last 2 weeks my Orbi has been dropping internet.  I've noticed it only seems to happen in the evening, but since I'm not home all day every day, it's possible it drops other times as well.  I should note, I do have a Google Pixel 2.  How a single mass produced device could bring an entire network down is both confusing and extremely concerning if it is the cause.  The lack of response so far from Netgear is of concern as well.  Unfortunately I only have "hardware" support at this point.  I did disable Daisy-Chain Topology a few minutes ago, so we'll see if that happens to work for me.  Unfortuantely I've defended netgear's products in the past to people who said they were crap, but it appears this is an expensive lesson if I cannot get it figured out.  Is there a place to download an old firmware version to see which version broke it?  

Message 81 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

For reference, I'm on 2.1.1.16.  The ONLY configuration change I've made is my SSID/Password and selecting a different channel for both 2.4 and 5 ghz. 

Message 82 of 145
acalamari
Aspirant

I bought the RBK44 from bestbuy on Nov 24th. Have had trouble since the install. Devices get disconnected, streaming video stalls for minutes at a time. A Samsung S6 kept on getting kicked off. I know some think that this is a Samung issue but it worked before the Orbi. Also, since I'm having issues with Fire TVs, other phones, and laptops I suspect it's an Orbi issue. I've read all the forums and tried the various 'solutions' that have worked for other people. None of them worked for me.

My solution was to buy a Google Wifi system. Night and day experience. Google Wifi hasn't dropped a client for days when I was getting drops many times/day with Orbi. Since I bought the Orbi at Besbuy during the holidays I think they'll take it back. Trying to return it today.

Good luck all!

Message 83 of 145
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Similar experience for me. I wasn't able to return my Or I so I just ate the cost (may try to eBay it) so that I would have a system that didn't crash all the damn time. Pretty much closed the door on Netgear fr me at home and at work.
Message 84 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

Hard to eat $350 (I paid regular price after reading all reviews and recommendations, etc.).  Still hopeful they will fix the reboots.  When it was working properly, it was great.

Message 85 of 145
DCP4971
Luminary

Owning Orbi has been like owning an Alfa Romeo (I should know, had two over the years), absolutley brilliant when it works, but annoyingly prone to unexplained faults/breakdowns.

That said, our Orbi has been rock solid for months after disabling Daisychaining and fast roaming along with seeking out a better channel than the default 36 for 5ghz wifi, currently running on Channel 48 as no-one in the vicinty is using this. Still running V2.0.0.74, for some reason it's not auto updated (for which I'm not complaining!).

My wife has a recent Samsung Galaxy something or other - it's not an iPhone which is where I lose interest..so must have a recent Android build on it and this doesn't cause us any issues.  We have numerous Apple devices, PS4, Sky Q STBs (which do their own mesh - which drove the channel change), Sonos - which I think also does it's own mesh network of sorts (all the Sonos speakers show as wired given the bridge is wired - looks like a limited number of 2.4ghz channels - ours is on 11).

Defo worth checking/changing the 5ghz wifi channel, default is 36, but much fewer channels available so potentially more interference from others nearby so may prevent annoying reboots too.

Message 86 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

Other threads seem to be implying thus as well but for the last 2 days I've not let my pixel 2 to connect to the wireless and haven't had a single drop. This leads to this possibly being an indicator. Whether it's the pixel or oreo I don't know, but seeing as I need wifi calling on this causes a bit of a problem . This is way too expensive to dump for something else. Still need to research further, but if someone has found a workaround I'd appreciate it.
Message 87 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

Since I can't use my Pixel 2 XL or my Nexus 6P on wifi with the Orbi(obviously with current issue) I started using my old Note 3 to play games on. Well it also makes the Orbi system REBOOT every time it wakes up! I wish Netgear would just refund me for this junk system because it doesn't seem like they will ever fix it?

Any suggestions anybody?

Message 88 of 145
Charleem
Guide

Just out of interest, could you enable a guest network and try connecting to that? I'm wondering if the issue is the smart connect that puts devices into the best signal and speed, since you can't do it manually, but you can with the guest WiFi.
Message 89 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

@sleepr88 - on all of my Android devices, I turned off Wifi during sleep. So that way when my phone wakes up, I have a moment of 4G, then the Wi-Fi turns on from sleep. It doesn't stay on during sleep. That seem to have made a difference for me, it's been 8 days and no reboots. Or it could just be a coincidence. I don't know, you will find all kinds of suggestions on all of these threads. It's up to you whether you want to try them. I personally don't think it is related to Android 8. But I do believe it is related to Android devices, not necessarily phones but any Android device.
Message 90 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

I just can't understand what Netgear did to cause problems with Android devices? My Note 3 is not on Oreo, or the latest security patch, so it definately has to be an issue from Netgear

Message 91 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

at a loss.  I rolled my firmware back to 1.12 and the problem still persists.  The instant I connect my Pixel 2 XL phone to the wireless I start dropping the network completely.  If it's not connected, no problems.  Has Netgear even acknowledged this is a known issue?  This is an entirely too expensive of an option to dump.  

Message 92 of 145
Charleem
Guide

Has anyone tried switching on the guest network and using the for their phone yet?

Message 93 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

I finally found time to call support.  Even though I'm past the 90 days of support, they spoke to me, so I guess they get kudos for that.  That said, they 'documented' my concern and told me to reset my orbi and then not change a thing.  Not even the SSID.  So I'm testing it now without a single change to it other than setting the password.  If this is the problem (Which we all know it isn't), then that's a really big problem to have.  

Message 94 of 145
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Yeah. I had that conversation with them as well.

"But I KNOW that is not the issue as I've reset it 3 times this week and am restarting it several times a week"

It's like I'm chatting with an IVR at this point.

Message 95 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

They told me if the problem comes back to call back in and I could talk to L2 engineers.  Yea, I'm sure Bob with the thick Indian accent is going to help me out.  

Message 96 of 145
Charleem
Guide

The customer support for such an expensive and advanced piece of kit is truly abysmal.

Message 97 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

I can't understand why the system could be awesome for about a year, then they turn it into an expensive turd. It's been bad long enough that I wish I could just get my $$$ back!

Message 98 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

guest network did not solve problem

Message 99 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

@sleepr88 - can you try setting WiFi off during sleep on any Android devices? I am going on day 11 without a reboot. I'm using the latest firmware, with the default values. I haven't changed anything else other than changing my Android phone's WiFi off during sleep. I have about 4 Android phones that I did that too.
Message 100 of 145
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7