Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

newbeb
Tutor

It looks as if there is a problem with the Google Cast protocol and android devices waking from sleep mode across multiple router vendors. The longer a device is in sleep, the more discovery packets it sends when it wakes up, into the 100,000s.

Here is the article that I found that seems to tie it together: https://www.myce.com/news/confirmed-issue-google-cast-causes-temporarily-wifi-drops-around-world-834....

I switched off Orbi a few days ago to a Nighthawk that I had after doing all of the upgrade reset cycle and more than patiently waiting...

I do have a Chromecast and on my network and A Droid devices.

It looks like there might be other issues with Google cast devices and MDNS packets as well like: http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/12/google-home-max-appears-killing-wifi-networks/.

Now to decide if I give the Orbi another try...
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 101 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

That could potentially make sense but still doesn't explain how a single device boot storm could overload the orbi and make it reboot.
Message 102 of 145
Charleem
Guide

I don't think it's a case that router is being overloaded, to me it appears as though it's getting a command it doesn't know how to deal with, which in turn crashes it and it shuts down thus rebooting itself.  It'd be helpful if you could make it store logs, rather than it refreshing the logs every time, until we can see what's happening in the logs when it reboots, I think we'll be in the dark.  The only thing I can think of is to be logged into the router UI on the log screen, then let one of the Android devices connect to it and see if you get a line on the log before it reboots itself, that could help work out what's wrong.

It reminds me of the old Windows NT days that could be crashed by sending OOB data to port 139.

Message 103 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

It should be noted with android 8.1 Google has completely removed the option to keep wifi on/off while sleeping. Initially this was only on the pixel 2 but now it's showing on any device running that os. If that is the problem, Google or netgear will have to blink and change something. More than likely Google since I don't see how netgear can fix it from their side without some kind of gate keeper which would end up just pissing people off.
Message 104 of 145
Charleem
Guide

I've just seen this article and can't help thinking that this could be the problem.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/01/15/router_vendors_update_firmware_to_protect_against_googl...

Sounds familiar eh?
Message 105 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

Yup. Another article about it. Google says they are working with vendors to get a fix out.

https://9to5google.com/2018/01/15/google-chromecast-home-wifi-outage/amp/
Message 106 of 145
Charleem
Guide

Well folks I think we've cracked it!

If only Netgear had been forthcoming with a response, seeing as how both articles state they knew about it, if they'd told us this from the start, either in one of the phone calls we've all been making to them, or on here, it could have saved a whole lot of bad blood and money, I've returned 2 Orbi kits, neither of which can be sold as new again.

Waste of time for all concerned, if Netgear gave a hoot about customer satisfaction, they'd have ensured all customer facing staff had been briefed, rather than having customers reset and battle with their abysmal off-shored 1st line staff.
Message 107 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

it appears that Google Home App v1.26.30.8 on Android devices seems to be the culprit... 

but Netgear still needs to come up with a fix for their end

Message 108 of 145
acalamari
Aspirant

Simply amazing.

So it appears that Netgear (and Google) knew about this and thought it best not to let their customers know about it?

We have all spent MANY hours trying to fix our networks, returning equipment, and replacing equipment when all we would have had to do is temporarily unplug our cast and home devices? Of course unplugging cast devices wouldn't be a soultion for people that rely on them but for me it would have been a simple temp fix. 

Replacing my Orbi system with Google Wifi fixed the problem for me so either Google Wifi was able to deal with this poor behavior all along or they released a recent fix to deal with it.

How does this relate to the Samsung phone/Orbi issue? Does Samsung have a seperate problem?

Message 109 of 145
DVM
Tutor
Tutor

Message 110 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

There's a beta firmware which supposedly fixes the problem.  It's located here:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/td-p/1476960

Be sure you download both the base station and satellite firmware as they don't run off the same firmware versions.  

Message 111 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

Curious if it specifically fixes the Chromecast/wake issues?  I didn't see any indication that it did, and the responses on that thread isn't very good.

Message 112 of 145
Axel-Foley
Tutor

This is quite interesting and hopefully the reason for all the problems but does any one know if the Roku Premiere (little black box) or the Roku streaming stick could also cause this problem - does share any Chromecast tech?

I had this orbi wifi network dropping problem but we're mostly an Apple device home, except for the Rokus and a Samsung wifi TV. (I had posted back at #66 and 69). Don't have any Google home kit either.

I haven't yet returned the Orbi but I reverted back to my Airport Extreme. Network is a bit slower with my 3 year old router but it's solid with all our devices (and of friends and family that visited over the holidays with a wide variety of devices).

Just wondering if this Google issue explains all the problems Orbi users face (hope so)!
Message 113 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

The new firmware did not resolve the problem for me.  There's a new version which released today (.18) that is installing now.  I'm not overly hopeful.  

Message 114 of 145
dismoreb
Aspirant

Hopefully adding info to the ongoing troubleshooting...

I have an ORBI RBR50 and satellite.  I was happy to see the issue is apparently caused by the Google cast feature, but was dismayed because I don't have any android or google cast devices in my house - at least that was what I thought.  We have all Apple products, which has their own cast-like version called Air Play.  I thought that perhaps that may be included in the issue (and it may be) - but then realized my Vizio TV has something called Smartcast.  I checked the web and see that Smartcast uses Google Cast technology.

So... if you are confused that you are experiencing this issue like I was, and don't have any android or google devices - you may still be impacted if you have Vizio TVs in the house.

I have just installed the new firmware version, which they have made available to install through the web admin client.  It was a painless, automatic, upgrade.  I am now waiting to see if that resolves the issue. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 115 of 145
dismoreb
Aspirant

Well.... after about an hour after the latest firmware update (2.1.2.18), my wifi just dropped.  I would note, my satellite firmware is still set to v2.1.1.16, but when I looked for an upgrade for the satellite none appeared available to me.

So - looks like Netgear needs to keep after a fix.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 116 of 145
pfworks
Guide

I would try updating satellite manually. All my problems appear to be with my satellite, so for me, that's the important one.

Message 117 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

Google is supposed to release an update for their products that should roll out tomorrow supposedly to fix this.
Message 118 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

How long for a Chromecast/Android fix Netgear? TP-link, Linksys, and others have already gotten it fixed

Message 119 of 145
dneumannjr
Tutor

Any update here? I am on firmware 2.1.2.18 and have rebooted/dropped multiple times today. Getting very annoying and debating on returning this system. But considering this does not seem to be all on Netgear I was hoping something else was being done.

Message 120 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

I have the Google Play services beta update, and I've been going for roughly over a day and a half without a reboot. I have it installed on all 3 phones, and we do have a Google home, and a Chromecast device. So far no reboots. We've been using our phones as normal, letting them sleep and wake up. Hopefully this is it. Since I'm on beta, the full roll out for the Google Play services should be coming out any day.
Message 121 of 145
lioneljw
Aspirant

I am having the same issue as well on the latest 2.1.2.18 firmware. I have had my cable connection replaced and they have tested everything including the modem and been out to verify its all working but still every 20 or so minutes the router loses connection and goes into detecting internet mode and then eventually reconnects with all the same settings.This issue started with the 2.0.0.74 update but, at least in my case, it seems actually worse under 2.1.2.18 as its doing this behavior more frequently. Almost at the point of returning my Orbi and trying another solution 😞

Message 122 of 145
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Issue is possibly not related to Google hardware at all. I have run tests in a Google-free environment and the problem has persisted even with the latest firmware. Since I've migrated to other hardware the only things on the Orbi are several iPhones and a Macbook Pro. The rest of the hardware is on a Google router now. Still failing under those circumstances so I would assume that its related to something that was introduced in 2.0.0.74 (the Disney Circle stuff was the only change that I noticed) and not specifically Google gear unless somehow the Orbi is letting Google devices connect to it somehow. This AppleNet is entirely isolated from the rest of the world all the way to the Internet gateway itself.

Message 123 of 145
POSEIDON7902
Apprentice

Since installing the Google play beta, I've not had a single problem.
Message 124 of 145
lioneljw
Aspirant

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND SOLUTION

As an update, I switched gateway mode off on my cable modem and put the Orbi RBR50 into AP Mode so it is doing wifi only and since then not one outage, by now given how it was behaving it would have dropped the connection a dozen times. It seems to be something with the firmware and using router functionality. For now, I am going to operate this way, not as convenient as having all the networking in Orbi but much better than constant internet loss.

Message 125 of 145
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7