Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

Charleem
Guide

Re: Orbi randomly dropping internet connection despite V2.0.0.74 update

@DCP4971

Exactly the same as you!

I'm in the UK using Virgin Media, 300/20.

First router they confirmed there was something wrong with it, sent it back, got a brand new router and satellite, it's reset itself and wiped the logs in the first hour of setting it up, the customer support on the telephone is abysmal, even Virgin's customer service isn't as bad as that from Netgear, I don't know where they're based, but going by the quality of the connection, I'm not sure they're even on this planet.  If this doesn't settle down I'm sending it back, I'm not even going to bother with another mesh system, I've decided to go back to Asus but buy a 2nd to use in repeater mode, only got this Orbi as I need the signal to get through a thick metal door for our security system, but it's down more than a h00ker on a greasy floor.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 51 of 145
DVM
Tutor
Tutor

I can relate to the previous post! I gave up on Orbi and got a traditional router and everything works as it should. The Orbi was an incredible waste of money!

Message 52 of 145
Charleem
Guide

It's just reset itself again for no reason. It has to be the biggest disappointment I've ever had for £319 and I used to own an Amstrad emailer!
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 53 of 145
Charleem
Guide

Well, that's the 2nd system returned and a refund processed. What an absolute waste of time. Customer support is truly abysmal, the GUI is like something out of the early 90's and there are far too many bugs for such an expensive system, I'm now using an Asus RT-AC3200 and an RT-AC66U as a repeater, it's been up for over 48 hours without a single reboot or problem, never again NETGEAR!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 54 of 145
cdabel
Guide

I too am returning my second Orbi system. The first system worked wonderfully for a while then encountered problems with dropped devices and disconnecting satelites around the 1.12.0.18 firmware update. After a frustraing experinece with customer "service" I exchanged the two-unit system for a new one when the old began to display a green ring on the satelites, the significance of which was never really explained to me.   The new system again initially worked great for a few months ( so much so that I invested in an additional satelite) until, like a carton of milk left out on the counter, it started to go bad.  At first a few devces would drop for a few seconds.  Then the drops started lasting for a few minutes, then the satelites themselves would drop with a magenta ring. All of the usual "fixes" tried to no avail. I give up and have ordered a competing mesh system.  Will see how it goes.  It's a shame. The Obri, when it worked, was the best I had ever used.  

Message 55 of 145
Charleem
Guide

Mine too worked for around a month after a rocky start, then started acting up again. The 2nd one didn't work out of the box.
Message 56 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

I would NOT recommend the Orbi. I have had mine for over a year (and it used to be awesome), but a firmware update 6 or more weeks ago has made it junk. It disconnects multiple times, day & night. The disconnects mess with all my home control items(tired of having to reset some of them). And the satellite is in the bedroom, so as it cycles back to reconnect, it becomes a very annoying night light. At first it seemed like a problem with my ISP, but I quickly figured out it was my Orbi system. Netgear doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix the firmware either. And there is no way to turn off the automatic updates and/or roll it back to one that worked. I am frustrated, especially for what it cost. I am trying to figure out what system I should change to? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Message 57 of 145
Charleem
Guide

I can't understand how more people aren't having issues with their Orbi system, either those of us who have had issues seem to have them constantly, even when the hardware is completely replaced are really unlucky, or the people who don't have any problems are just happy to let it do it's thing out of the box, a lot of the issues here seem to start happening when anyone wants to do a tiny amount of customisation to the system, regarding your orbi constantly dropping out all the time, does it do it when something with Android Nougat or Oreo connects to the system?  That was the final straw for me, every time my Pixel 2 XL woke up and reconnected, the Orbi would reboot itself, thus kicking off all my security cameras, video doorbell and google homes.

As for your 2nd question, what would I recommend, I'm now using an Asus RT-AC3200 as my main router, it has a smart connect service like the Orbi where it'll decide which device connecting to it is best, it has 2.4GHz and 2 x 5GHz signals, using the fastest 5G signal I can get 350mb down and 22mb up, not bad considering I only pay for 300/20 but then I'm right next to the exchange box!  It also has the possibility of transmitting 3 SSID's which is what I prefer, I have it named Asus2.4, AsusFast and AsusFastest, I only use the fastest to connect new devices like mobiles and tablets under 2 years old, the rest connects to Fast or the old 2.4, the signal reaches right down stairs and even gets through our metal door to the video doorbell.  I then have an Asus RT-AC66u set up in repeater mode for our older devices and our security cameras downstairs, I don't actually need this because the signal from the RT-AC3200 is so strong, I wish I'd just got this in the first place and never set eyes on the orbi!  Asus is my preference and it's working great for me, the whole system has been up for almost 12 days solid now, something I was never lucky enough to see on the orbi.

Message 58 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

I'm now curious about possibility of Pixel 2 XL as part of the problem? I have one. I wonder how many people with Orbi problems have an Android device on Oreo?

Message 59 of 145
Charleem
Guide

It's easy to test. Just turn off WiFi on your phone for 5 minutes. Stand by the Orbi and reconnect to WiFi, it'll usually reboot within a minute or so of the phone getting an IP address.
Message 60 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

Yep not just Oreo. Even Nougat. Your hunch is right. There are multiple threads on this.
Message 61 of 145
sleepr88
Apprentice

verified... turned off wifi on my phone last night, haven't had any issues with Orbi... Netgear still has to come up with a fix for there end because no way should a client be able to disrupt and REBOOT a router!

Message 62 of 145
ryeco
Aspirant

Hey Darren,

Our internet here goes out about once a day. We have a Comcast Business modem and then have a Orbi router with two Orbi satellites. Typically a reboot of the modem/routers will resolve the issue but this results in about 10-15 minutes per day of downtime. Can you help with this?

Message 63 of 145
pfworks
Guide

A few days ago, my satellite really started disconneting from the internet. I applied the 2.1.1.16 update, and it isn't helping. I can see everything on my internal network, but the satellite can't route the the internet. This is getting annoying, as I have to rest the satellite every 1-2 hours.

I either need this fixed, or need a way to lock wifi clients to the router, and just use the satellite box for the ethernet. Can someone help here? I don't want to have to go with another solution, as I like not having to have a persistent connection to a backend like mesh systems have.

Message 64 of 145
sondeck53
Initiate

Hi,

having to reboot every day, as dropping connection, please advise a solution?

Message 65 of 145
Axel-Foley
Tutor

Having the same problem here. Bought this system as a Christmas present for the home installed it over the holiday and it was working great but suddenly yesterday it started dropping internet connections all the time. It's so frequent now I can't keep track. Never had this problem with prior routers. Have the latest firmware. Need a solution pronto or will have no choice but to return within next 10 days, before my 30 days are up.

Sigh.....
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 66 of 145
sondeck53
Initiate

return it, unfortunately I have left it to late.

Message 67 of 145
Charleem
Guide

I can only mirror the same thing.  Netgear even had me install a not-yet-released to the public firmware on it to fix the issue, and it didn't.  So don't expect even the next firmware release to fix these problems.

Message 68 of 145
Axel-Foley
Tutor

Thanks, wish it would be worthwhile to hold-my-breath for the fix. Reverting to my aged Apple base station confirms problem is due to the Orbi.

Not sure if of interest but the devices in our house are: variety of Apple devices (iPhones (3), iPads (3), iMacs (2), Apple TV (3), and Roku (2), Samsung smart TV (1). It's odd how the problem seems to start suddenly after some period of working normally.
Message 69 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

@Axel-Foley - interesting... No Android devices. I think you are the first Apple-only family with Orbi problems I've seen here in the community. Samsung is running Tizan or some other OS, not Android right?
Message 70 of 145
Axel-Foley
Tutor

Yeah, I thought that too at first but then I don't know what OSes the TV or the Roku devices run, so maybe there is a connection with Orbi problems and certain protocols. But most perplexing (to me anyway) is why it would work for nearly 2 weeks before the problem becomes evident (and insufferable).
Message 71 of 145
pfworks
Guide

I have a mix of devices - android (gogle) phone, iphones, ipads, iMac, a few Windows boxes, a few Linux boxes, a samsung printer, several amazon devices and a roku. But that shouldn't matter. I had an eero before. I wouldn't get drop outs, but I'd get other issues, especially in the rain, where the eero has to send lots of data in semi-real time back and forth to maintain the mesh network.

Message 72 of 145
ryeco
Aspirant

Hey everybody,

I think I might have stumbled upon a fix. I disabled Daisy-Chain technology and my internet has been active for 5 days now with no downtime. WIll reply if internet goes down again but this appears to have fixed it.

Message 73 of 145
TChester
Initiate

If you read some of the earlier comments many have disabled Daisy Chaining, as recommended by Netgear, and their problem persists.  I hope it works for youMan Happy

Message 74 of 145
vreynolds
Luminary

Thanks @ryeco I believe this is one of the settings the Netgear support staff is recommending be turned off. I'll have to check and see if I've done it on mine.
Message 75 of 145
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7