Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi randomly stops traffic to devices

PebbleChamp
Tutor

Orbi randomly stops traffic to devices

Orbi has worked great since I bought it a couple of years ago, but since about two weeks ago I’ve had problems. Randomly traffic all of a sudden stops going to devices, but any devices currently active continue as if nothing is wrong. If a TV is streaming, it keeps going, or a Teams meeting keeps going until I end it. However, no new browser tabs will load and any inactive devices cannot get any data (even Google). For the Windows devices not active, they all show the globe icon indicating they are connected to the network without internet access. If I’m on Teams mtg, as soon as the meeting ends then my work laptop also shows the globe (and I can’t get to the next meeting).

This happens randomly 2-3 times during the day, and curiously *either* a cable modem reboot (yes, it’s in bridge mode) *or* an Orbi reboot gets everything going again. I thought it was the cable modem, so I swapped it with a different one for a few days and the problems didn’t go away (so it’s Orbi). I updated the Orbi firmware to the latest, and it’s still happening. I’ve gone through all of the settings in Orbi, assigned static IPs to devices, ensured that Orbi isn’t blocking then, etc. Interestingly, when this happens Orbi actually shows them as active, which satellite and band their connected to, and that they are allowed to access the internet (even though they’re not).

Since the cable modem resets faster than Orbi does, I’m getting used to resetting the stupid thing multiple times during the day, but that is not a solution. Please help!!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Is Traffic Meter enabled? 

Message 2 of 25
AYANUSER
Tutor

V2.7.2.104

My RBR50 is having same issue since 2-3 weeks ago. Is this related to newest firmware?

Message 3 of 25
D18GE
Star

Your problem description exactly matches what I am experiencing.  Started after updating to V2.7.2.104.  Was completely stable before.  I've had this system for about two years and it has performed without significant issues.  I'm on CenturyLink fiber with a Zyxel C3000Z set in bridge mode. RBR50 is directly connected to the C3000Z.  To restore function I have to reboot the Orbi router at least once a day.  I have already tried resetting the satelitte as suggested in another thread.  That did not appear to resolve the issue.  Hopefully Netgear is hearing about this issue and looking into the problem.

Message 4 of 25
AYANUSER
Tutor

"Started after updating to V2.7.2.104. Was completely stable before. I've had this system for about two years and it has performed without significant issues. "

Same here! I need to reboot at least once per day.

Message 5 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

Modem is Arris Surfboard SB6183 (P/N: 592431-003), but as I mentioned in the initial post, I also tried the Xfinity X1 router in bridge mode and had the same issues, so I took it back.

Traffic Meter is off.
Just updated FW to v2.7.2.104. Yes, I did a full factory reset.

This started before I updated the firmware; I don’t know the exact FWv, but I’m certain it was v2.5x.x.

Anyone??? It looks like there are others with the same issue. Did NetGear put an Easter egg in these so that we would have to upgrade? 😡
Message 6 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

I don’t think it’s related to the newest firmware b/c it started happening to me the same timeframe (2-3 weeks ago) and I was on FW v2.5.x.x.

I was hoping that updating to the latest FW would fix the issue, but it didn’t.
Message 7 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

I just did a factory reset of the two RBS-50 I have. I’ll report back tomorrow if that fixes the problems. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@PebbleChamp wrote:
I don’t think it’s related to the newest firmware b/c it started happening to me the same timeframe (2-3 weeks ago) and I was on FW v2.5.x.x.

I was hoping that updating to the latest FW would fix the issue, but it didn’t.

Message 9 of 25
D18GE
Star

FURRYe38

Thanks for including the link to the NTP discussion.  I did have Traffic Meter enabled and disabled as suggested.  Will report back if this solves the problem.

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Let us know. You should be good now. NG is aware of it. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 25
D18GE
Star

PebbleChamp

You may be correct.  In my case I had just updated the firmware to V2.7.2.104 a few days previous to DST which caused me to think firmware as everything had been stable before.  Interestingly, I never had as issue with DST change previously so jury is still out in my mind whether this is firmware or DST.  I did disable Traffic Meter as per Bianca's suggestion in the Daylight Savings Time, NTP, DNS Issues thread that FURRYe38 linked.  Fingers crossed.

Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a backup configuration on the RBR for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Message 13 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

I had to reset the modem again today (as a reminder, it’s *much* faster to reset the modem than Orbi, and either temporarily fixes this issue).

So, the factory resets of the satellites (following the same for the RBR-50) didn’t do the trick.
Message 14 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

Hadn’t even thought of that. Thanks for the reminder; I’ll download a config for it now!
Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading to last version of FW that worked for you then. 

@PebbleChamp wrote:
Hadn’t even thought of that. Thanks for the reminder; I’ll download a config for it now!

Message 16 of 25
D18GE
Star

Update:

Orbi router has not needed a reboot in over 24 hours after disabling Traffic Meter.  The only other change I made was to change the NTP server to one of the NIST servers.  So far it would appear that Traffic Meter is the culprit if you also have DST enabled.  Will update again in 24 hours or so.

Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

Enjoy. 

@D18GE wrote:

Update:

Orbi router has not needed a reboot in over 24 hours after disabling Traffic Meter.  The only other change I made was to change the NTP server to one of the NIST servers.  So far it would appear that Traffic Meter is the culprit if you also have DST enabled.  Will update again in 24 hours or so.

Message 18 of 25
JJ126
Guide

Point NTP to stable NTP like Google or Microsoft Azure 

Disable Traffic meter

Reboot Orbi

DST enabled makes no difference on my various systems.

Message 19 of 25
D18GE
Star

Update #2:

Orbi router has been stable for the past 48 hours.  No reboots in that time.  Disabling Traffic Meter seems to have fixed the problem.  

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is working on a fix. Theres seems to be a beta v105 out there that someone got from NG. Seems to solve all this. Hopefully NG will get it released soon. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

@D18GE wrote:

Update #2:

Orbi router has been stable for the past 48 hours.  No reboots in that time.  Disabling Traffic Meter seems to have fixed the problem.  

Message 21 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

Went to check this last night. DST actually was never enabled for me. I replaced with one of Google’s NTP servers, and when I woke up this morning it was working fine. Then a half-hour later, the same problem happened and I had to reboot. Rebooted again about 10 min. ago (so twice within four hours). 😖
Message 22 of 25
D18GE
Star

@PebbleChamp wrote:
Went to check this last night. DST actually was never enabled for me. I replaced with one of Google’s NTP servers, and when I woke up this morning it was working fine. Then a half-hour later, the same problem happened and I had to reboot. Rebooted again about 10 min. ago (so twice within four hours). 😖

Interesting.  I did happen to have DST enabled and since I disabled Traffic Meter, router has been stable for over 72 hours.  I chose to use one of the NIST time servers.  https://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi for a list of servers.  I doubt that has anything to do with your problem but can't hurt to try.  NG is apparently working on a fix.

Message 23 of 25
PebbleChamp
Tutor

Can't hurt to try!

(At this point I would sell my first-born... don't worry, he's a teenager, so he would probably be happy about that, too!)

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try DST enabled and try a NG time server. Keep Traffic Meter disabled. 

@PebbleChamp wrote:

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7