Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbk50 90% performance drop over 2-3 days, memory leak?

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Orbi rbk50 90% performance drop over 2-3 days, memory leak?

@dferreira1 wrote:

Hey guys, I've got an update on my side... 

I could see when I disconnect my MBP or other device and reconnect it, the RX/TX rate came up to 866Mpbs again.

So, I don't know what happenning on router when I disconnect, but disconnecting/reconnect is better than rebooting the router each 3 or 4 days.

I reseted it to factory, reconfigured all the settings again and this issue still happen.

When I see the problem again, will try the telnet solution above to see CPU/memory activity on RBR.

That's good feedback info!

It implies that MBP has negotiated a lower TX rate with Orbi, which would affect all clients on that interface.  The WiFi transfer rate on that interface will be downgraded to the lowest bitrate for all active clients on that interface.  This is similar to how b/g clients would drag down n clients in the 2.4Ghz world.  You can fire up NetSpot and check the Mode for all interfaces.

Message 26 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@dferreira1 wrote:

I could see when I disconnect my MBP or other device and reconnect it, the RX/TX rate came up to 866Mpbs again.

Is the MBP and those "other devices" wired to Orbi or wireless?

If wired then it can be that those devices are causing loops in Orbi.

@dferreira1 wrote:

I reseted it to factory, reconfigured all the settings again and this issue still happen.

Will forgetting the network on those devices and attaching again help?

Message 27 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@dferreira1 wrote:

So, I don't know what happenning on router when I disconnect, but disconnecting/reconnect is better than rebooting the router each 3 or 4 days.

When I see the problem again, will try the telnet solution above to see CPU/memory activity on RBR.

Message 28 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

Is the MBP and those "other devices" wired to Orbi or wireless?

If wired then it can be that those devices are causing loops in Orbi.

Will forgetting the network on those devices and attaching again help?

MPB is wireless connected and I got some other devices wired, and yes, disconnecting other devices help getting full TX again.

I have a NAS station wired to RBR, and I can see the problem happening faster when I have traffic flowing from/to wired devices...

btw, this morning I made a disconnect/connect on my MPB, got 866Mpbs and now is changing between 702Mpbs and 650Mbps after sent 12GB file to NAS.

PS: same distance from RBR, 1 meter maximum from RBR. (MPB is dev station, almost fixed in my desk)

Message 29 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@dferreira1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

The internet router is a SAGEMCOM F@ST3486 DOCSIS 3.0

The channels are now set to Auto.

Got six 2.4G and two 5Ghz wifi neighbors.

Sattelite is at 15 meters away from RBR and with good signal (have walls between them)

Those options are enabled already (WMM, beamform and MIMO)

Believe guy, I made every change it's possible, but after 2 or 3 days the problem keep happening.

Before Orbi, I owned a TPLINK Archer C9 v4 and everything was running smoothly at 1300Mbps, but I gave it to my mom because ISP sent one piece of **bleep** to her that didn't cover a 500 square feet apartment with a pair of walls... hahaha

Message 30 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem already has a built in router. Has this modem been configured for one of the following? 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@dferreira1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@dferreira1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

The internet router is a SAGEMCOM F@ST3486 DOCSIS 3.0

The channels are now set to Auto.

Got six 2.4G and two 5Ghz wifi neighbors.

Sattelite is at 15 meters away from RBR and with good signal (have walls between them)

Those options are enabled already (WMM, beamform and MIMO)

Believe guy, I made every change it's possible, but after 2 or 3 days the problem keep happening.

Before Orbi, I owned a TPLINK Archer C9 v4 and everything was running smoothly at 1300Mbps, but I gave it to my mom because ISP sent one piece of **bleep** to her that didn't cover a 500 square feet apartment with a pair of walls... hahaha

Message 31 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Yes, the ISP modem is set as bridge and all wireless NICs on it are turned off.

I dont remember if I said...

I got one Orbi RB40 kit... (one RBR40 and one RBS40). They are updated to last released firmware.

I'm facing this issue since the first firmware. This issue also occurred with my last 2013 MPB.

Message 32 of 43
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If you can reproduce this problem, please try this and let us know:

1. Rename the existing main SSID XXX to new SSID YYY
  2. Turn on Guess Network and set its SSID to the old SSID XXX with the same password
  3. Tick  Allow guests to see each other and access my local network
  4. Start migrating each (ac/n) client to new SSID YYY
  5. If the slowdown problem doesn't show up, migrate the next client...
  6. Eventually, you should find the culprit that causes everyone to slow down
Message 33 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@dferreira1 wrote:

MPB is wireless connected and I got some other devices wired, ......

Have you tried to forget the network in the MBP and attach again?

@dferreira1 wrote:

.........disconnecting other devices help getting full TX again.

I have a NAS station wired to RBR, and I can see the problem happening faster when I have traffic flowing from/to wired devices...

Any of these devices has wireless connectivity as well? If yes then those can be the devices that you should focus on. Please make sure to remove any wireless configuration if they are wired to Orbi, otherwise this will cause loops in Orbi.

Message 34 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

@ekhalil No, all wired devices has no wifi nic.

Message 35 of 43
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@SW_ wrote:

If you can reproduce this problem, please try this and let us know:

1. Rename the existing main SSID XXX to new SSID YYY
  2. Turn on Guess Network and set its SSID to the old SSID XXX with the same password
  3. Tick  Allow guests to see each other and access my local network
  4. Start migrating each (ac/n) client to new SSID YYY
  5. If the slowdown problem doesn't show up, migrate the next client...
  6. Eventually, you should find the culprit that causes everyone to slow down

You can narrow this down via telnet method.  Telnet into Orbi and run this cmd:

• wlanconfig ath1 list
This is my Guest Network interface where all my IoT devices are connected:

root@RBR50:/# wlanconfig ath11 list ADDR               AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ  CAPS        ACAPS     ERP    STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME    IEs   MODE                   PSMODE 18:b4:30:bf:xx:xx    1   48  19M     39M   20      17      25    0      0   65535    EP         0          b              0               Q 23:22:32     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11NA_HT20   1 18:b4:30:bf:xx:xx    3   48  72M     52M   20      17      25    0      0   65535    EP         0          b              0               Q 23:22:30     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11NA_HT20   1 64:16:66:72:xx:xx    2   48 650M    234M   23       3      28    0      0   65535    EP         0          b              0            AWPS 21:16:21     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0 e4:f0:42:26:xx:xx    4   48 351M    351M   28       0      42    0      0   65535   EPs         0          b              0             WPS 08:09:39     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0 This is my main Orbi interface, which one of the client is connected at 300Mbps.
root@RBR50:/# wlanconfig ath1 list ADDR               AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ  CAPS        ACAPS     ERP    STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME    IEs   MODE                   PSMODE 38:f7:3d:3c:xx:xx    3   48 866M    866M   39      29      48    0      0   65535    EP         0          b              0            AWPS 23:18:25     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0 f0:79:60:de:xx:xx    1   48 866M    585M   48      36      63    1      0   65535    EP         0          b              0            AWPS 04:24:21     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   1 00:24:36:b5:xx:xx    2   48 300M    243M   42      40      43    2      0   65535    EP         0          b              0            WPSM 00:00:14     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11NA_HT40   1
Message 36 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

Hello again guys,

@SW_ 

After few days testing, I moved all the other clients to a guest network and left only MBP on main network.

I could see after 4 days the speed dropping again as I list below:

AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE TXSEQ RXSEQ CAPS ACAPS ERP STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME IEs MODE PSMODE
 1 44 390M 234M 42 39 48 0 0 65535 EP 0 b 0 AWPS 18:28:38 RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80 0

Other thing I could see is that is happening after a great volume of data is flowing. I'm a developer, so I had to get a 1GB of data from SQL Server (connected via LAN) and in the middle of copy the speed dropped.

The same thing occurred when I transfered last Ubuntu release by tor****.

So, I'm convinced that problem is not on other devices and it's in the router firmware or something else.

PS: The atached screenshot is from the router when the speed dropped. Remember, mine is a RBR40.

Message 37 of 43
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dferreira1

From the screenshot, the resouce usage is normal.  Is it possible that the transfer is being throttled?  Can you try the same experiment without any client attached/connected to Wired/Wireless?

Message 38 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

So @SW_ , all the clients was unplugged/disconnected at the time of screenshot.

Only 1 DNS-320L wired and the MBP.

Message 39 of 43
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Does the slown down also happen with wired transfer from MBP to NAS?

Message 40 of 43
dferreira1
Aspirant

Yes... 

Like I said, sometimes happen when transfer a big file from internet (tor*** for example)... 

Sometimes when I commit/sync files to NAS/cloud... 

And sometimes occurs after 3 or 4 days without transfer anything big... 

MBP is updated to latest OS... 

I rebooted RBR40 yesterday, so I think I will face the issue again close to Christmas... I will let you guys know as soon it happen.

Its sad because it is a great product... I think netgear should release some patch to fix it... 

Message 41 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

If you think NG should get a fix for this, you'll need to let them know. They may not know as there hasn't been a lot of users posting about this problem. Not everyone maybe seeing this issue. I for one have not seen this issue. THis issue maybe isolated to your system and configuraton. Ask about an RMA as well, 

Best to file a support ticket and get help and information on this with NG support:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspxs

@dferreira1 wrote:

Yes... 

Like I said, sometimes happen when transfer a big file from internet (tor*** for example)... 

Sometimes when I commit/sync files to NAS/cloud... 

And sometimes occurs after 3 or 4 days without transfer anything big... 

MBP is updated to latest OS... 

I rebooted RBR40 yesterday, so I think I will face the issue again close to Christmas... I will let you guys know as soon it happen.

Its sad because it is a great product... I think netgear should release some patch to fix it... 

Message 42 of 43
Nteck
Tutor

I returned the unit. Got another standard rounter. 

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7