Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi rbk50

Jpol026
Aspirant

Orbi rbk50

I currently have an Orbi rbk50 hard wired to a c6300. The internet speed at my c6300 is over 100mbs. Using the orbi app, the speed on the Orbi is over 100mbs. The speed I am getting at my laptop and other devices is under 15mbs. I have the latest firmware(2.3) and I have tried changing the channels per. Tech support to 11 on 2.4 and 48 on 5.0. Any suggestions ?

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded? v32 or v44? 

What mode is the C6300 working in? Router or Bridge. This modem already has a built in router and wifi.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? use WPA2 and AES only.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What devices are you wireless speed testing with?

Are wired speed tests to spec thru the Orbi? 

@Jpol026 wrote:

I currently have an Orbi rbk50 hard wired to a c6300. The internet speed at my c6300 is over 100mbs. Using the orbi app, the speed on the Orbi is over 100mbs. The speed I am getting at my laptop and other devices is under 15mbs. I have the latest firmware(2.3) and I have tried changing the channels per. Tech support to 11 on 2.4 and 48 on 5.0. Any suggestions ?

Message 2 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jpol026 wrote:

The speed I am getting at my laptop and other devices is under 15mbs.

How are you measuring the speed at your laptop and other devices?  i.e. Is the laptop connected with an ethernet cable to an Orbi LAN port, or with Wi-Fi?  What tool is reporting 15MB?

Message 3 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

I Am using an online speed test . I have the latest firmware. I haven’t yet tried to bridge thec6300 yet. When I first hooked up the orbi there was no speed drop off but I was constantly having to reboot the c6300 which I still do only not as frequently.

Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets bridge the modem as test again...

Message 5 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jpol026 wrote:

I Am using an online speed test . I have the latest firmware. I haven’t yet tried to bridge thec6300 yet. When I first hooked up the orbi there was no speed drop off but I was constantly having to reboot the c6300 which I still do only not as frequently.

Having to reboot the C6300 frequently is not good.  If something is wrong at that point, there is little that can be done to the Orbi to improve the situation.

As FURREYe38 pointed out, having two routers and two Wi-Fi networks side-by-side creates problems that can be avoided easily by turning off the Wi-Fi radios on one of them (the C6300 because the Orbi was purchased to improve Wi-Fi - duh) and by removing the routing functions from one of them.  This decision is more complicated because the Orbi and the C6300 have different  routingcapabilities.  If you browse this forum, you will see that people have lodged numerous complaints about Orbi routing functions that they claim their previous Netgear router "did better."  I, myself, have such simple needs that using Orbi as my router does everything I want.  (Confession: I am so "plain vanilla" that I actually have my Orbi as a router behind my Spectrum modem, which is also a router, and everything I want to "works fine."  Eventually, I may run into an issue where one of them has to quit routing, but I am  not there yet.)

It is probably worth confirming: is Disney Circle implemented on the Orbi?

It is not yet clear to me whether the speed issue is connected to Wi-Fi or to everything.  i.e. when the laptop is connected to one of the LAN ports on the C6300 to run the speed test and then moved to one of the LAN ports on the Orbi to run the speed test, speed drops from over 100MB to under 15MB?  Or, is the speed drop only when the laptop is connected over Wi-Fi?

Message 6 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

There is no wireless bridge tab on my c6300

Message 7 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

Message 8 of 20
randomousity
Luminary

There are a few possible explanations. Wifi interference is one. When you run the speed test on the Orbi app, I think it's just displaying the results of the speed test run directly on the Orbi, and your phone is just the video output for it, basically. Try running a speed test directly on your phone, rather than through the Orbi app. It's probably ideal to use the Ookla speedtest app, since that's the same service the Orbi uses. Ideally, you should also disconnect or power off any other devices on your network, so you can be sure they aren't sucking up any of your bandwidth while you test. And, given that your modem is a combo modem and router, you should either set the C6300 to bridge mode and the Orbi to router, or the Orbi to AP mode and the C6300 to router. Having both route can cause problems. Also, the C6300 should have the wifi disabled, regardless of whether you use the C6300 or the Orbi as your router. Or, at least, give the wifi networks on the Orbi and C6300 different names, and have them use different channels to minimize their interference with each other.

Also, on your laptop, there are a couple things to try and/or check. First, reboot. Also, check which standard your NIC is (e.g., 802.11n, 802.11ac, etc.). Also, which band it's connected to the Orbi with (5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz). On Windows, this is easy enough to determine. Click the wifi icon down by the clock, then find your wifi network you're connected to and click properties. Then scroll down and it'll tell you the SSID, protocol, and network band and channel. If you're testing with the laptop over wifi, it'll also matter how strong the wifi signal is and how close you are to the router. Finally, are you connected to the router directly, or via the satellite? Does the satellite have a strong signal to the router? These you can both find out from the Orbi web configuration page. The Orbi app will show whether you're connected to the router or satellite, but I don't think it shows you the quality of the backhaul connection between the router and satellite. So, if, for instance, your laptop is connecting to the satellite, and the satellite has a poor wireless backhaul to the router, that could explain the disparity between the Orbi's speed test results and your laptop's. You can also try removing the Orbi's network from your laptop and then re-adding it (not disconnecting from it, but removing or "forgetting" the network, so that you have to type in the password again before it'll work).

I'd probably do a progression of tests, starting with one directly connected to the modem, bypassing the Orbi completely, over ethernet. Then, one connected to the Orbi router over ethernet (ideally, with the satellite unplugged, any devices connected by ethernet to the router unplugged from the LAN ports, and any other wireless devices powered off so that, for practical ppurposes, your home network consists of your modem, your Orbi router, and your testng device, and nothing else. Then router via wifi. Then the satellite via eithernet (if you have a satellite with ethernet LAN ports). Then, finally, satellite via wifi. If you're getting 100+ Mbps for the first couple tests (going in the order I listed them), an then it drops off on the next one, that's probably where the problem is. Report back and we can help you from there.

Message 9 of 20
randomousity
Luminary

@Jpol026 wrote:

Log into your C6300, then go to ADVANCED > Administration > Router Mode, select "no," then hit apply. That will put it in bridge mode, though it's not labeled as such in the menus.

I don't know whether that will also disable wifi on the C6300, but you can do it from ADVANCED > Administration > Wireless Settings and uncheck both the "enable wirless gateway radio" boxes (one for 2.4 GHz, and one for 5 GHz), then apply.

After both putting it in bridge mode and disabling wifi, your C6300 will basically just be a cable modem, which is generally the ideal setup if you want to use the Orbi as your router.

Message 10 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jpol026 wrote:

As Jpol028 pointed out, page 75 of the C6300 User Manual, describes the difference between Router Mode "Yes" and "No".

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C6300/C6300_UM_17Nov2015.pdf

When the C6300 is "only a modem", anything connected to the other LAN ports will not be assigned IP addresses.  (Actually, I don't even know if those ports will be turned on.)

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Change the Router Mode By default, the modem router is in router mode. This means that it works both as a modem and as a router. You can share the Internet connection without using another router or gateway. If you want to connect a gateway or router to the modem router, you must log in to the modem router and change its Router Mode setting.

 To change the router mode:

1. On your computer or wireless device, find and select the modem router WiFi network. The WiFi network name is on the modem router’s label.

2. Join the WiFi network and enter the WiFi password. Manage Your Network 72 AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router The password is on the modem router’s label. Your wireless device connects to the WiFi network.

3. Launch a web browser.

4. Type http://routerlogin.net. A login window opens.

5. Enter the modem router user name and password. The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive. The BASIC Home page displays.

6. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Router Mode.

7. Select one of the radio buttons:

• Yes. This is the default setting. The modem router performs router functions such as Network Address Translation (NAT).

• No. With this setting, the modem router works as a bridge and obtains IP addresses from the Internet provider.

8. Click the Apply button. Your change takes effect.

Message 12 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

Quick update.. I turned off the c6300 as a router and ran the setup process on the Orbi. The result was exactly the same. When I check the speed at the C6300(lan)  hardwired to my desktop and the Orbi through it's app., I get over 100mbs. But when I use the speed test(ookla) on my devices I still get under 15mbs.!

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Jpol026 wrote:

Quick update.. I turned off the c6300 as a router and ran the setup process on the Orbi. The result was exactly the same. When I check the speed at the C6300(lan)  hardwired to my desktop and the Orbi through it's app., I get over 100mbs. But when I use the speed test(ookla) on my devices I still get under 15mbs.!

Message 14 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

Tried all that. I'm messing around with manually putting in the ip address etc now

Message 15 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

No go. My speed won’t get over 20mbs

Message 16 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

I think I solved the problem. I enabled the WMM. I will keep posted!

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ha. Ok. WMM should always be enabled. 

Let us know. 

Message 18 of 20
Jpol026
Aspirant

I was advised by tech support
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be good to go now. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7