Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbr20 will not connect to internet

BellaNZ32
Aspirant

Orbi rbr20 will not connect to internet

My Orbi was working fine and then it started dropping the internet intermittently. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seemed to work for a while but now it doesn’t as the internet keeps showing as offline. The modem connects, just not the internet. I tried a hard reset twice but has not worked. There are no other modems/or routers connected.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr20 will not connect to internet

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

What version of firmware is on the Orbi ?

Message 3 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

Firmware is V2.3.5.26, I connected the orbi via my old ISP router (which I unplugged again now....internet works fine with that one) and then I logged into orbi online and checked for new firmware, nothing was available so I assume I have the latest.
Message 4 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

I’m not connecting via the ISP modem as it’s also a router and messes with the mesh WiFi signal, the Orbi Internet port is connected directly to my fibre box which are right next to each other
Message 5 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

House is about 260 square
Satellites are a good distance apart
I think I am using auto, not sure where to check this or how to change it but while playing with things for about 5hrs I saw a lot of auto settings
There’s only one neighbor within range showing as another WiFi connection option
The factory reset was set up from scratch has just been done, twice
Message 6 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

V2.3.5.26
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So i you have a router in front of the Orbi RBR, you might try changing the RBR to AP mode instead of router mode. Having to routers on the same line can cause problems. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? 

Message 8 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

No I don’t have the ISP router turned on, I just plugged it in to see if there was an issue with my external line or ISP fibre connection. it worked fine so must be the Orbi. It’s disconnected now as the Orbi has been fine (until now) without running through the ISP modem/router I assume I don’t need it plugged in or bridges as the Orbi should just work like it was before?

The ISP modem is a Vodafone Ultra Hub plus.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Your Voda Phone modem does have a built in router. To make this work well for the Orbi router, try the #2 suggestion in the list of options I gave you to see if this helps the Orbi router work in router mode. If not, then configure the Orbi RBR for AP mode as suggested in #3. 

I think you need the modem as a interface with your ISP service unless you have a interface with the ISP service that has a RJ45 LAN port on the ISP device/ONT. 

I recommend you contact your ISP to see if this Voda Phone modem is required or not. Then go from there. 

IS this your modem that you are using from the ISP? 

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/cms/documents/ultra-hub-plus-quick-start-guide.pdf

Message 10 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

Ok - I will give that a go, I did ring them last night and they said don’t use a third party router, I said there’s has crap coverage and extenders are useless but they simply said don’t use other routers. Hopefully get someone else who is more useful today.

I just plugged the Orbi directly to the fibre box , followed set up instructions and it worked

Yes that link is the ISP modem I have

I did have it running directly through to the fibre box up until yesterday but it did start dropping out maybe once or twice a week

Don’t know if I’m matters but I have a cable running from my Orbi to a mini switch as I have Ethernet cables from switch to a few devices that are hardwired in
Message 11 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

Vodafone technical help is not helpful, the modem settings does not have a bridge mode option, and voda tech advised that they do not support making this switch over and I’d need to get a technician out to put it into bridge mode, I read online there is an admin login to Vodafone routers and you need this to do it.
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like the Voda Phone modem isn't needed then.

Now we are getting more info. So there is a switch between the Fiber unit and the RBR? If so, I would directly connect the RBR to the Fiber device and put the switch behind the RBR. You maybe running into problems having this switch in between the Fiber device and RBR. It's not normal configuration to have a switch before the RBR. Connect it after the RBR and see if this helps. 

Is this switch something setup by you or the ISP service? Do you have any TV services with the ISP? 

Message 13 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@BellaNZ32 wrote:
I’m not connecting via the ISP modem as it’s also a router and messes with the mesh WiFi signal, the Orbi Internet port is connected directly to my fibre box which are right next to each other

Can you provide the brand/model number of the fiber box?

Message 14 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

The RBR is connected directly to the Fibre box and then there is a connection from the RBR to the switch

Switch was set up by a non ISP tech, no tv services with the ISP
Message 15 of 16
BellaNZ32
Aspirant

The Fibre box is a “Optimal Network Terminal” that is installed by Chorus, all Fibre installations in New Zealand are carried out by chorus so must be the standard install that everyone has.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7