Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbr50 and rbs50 firmware beta version?

minivag
Aspirant

Orbi rbr50 and rbs50 firmware beta version?

Is there any one that is testing some beta software. If so what number is you on? And do you think its nearly ready for release?

Message 1 of 14
Flash008
Luminary

Re: Orbi rbr50 and rbs50 firmware beta version?

2.2.2.20 released today. Release logs show bug fixes only. I am terrified to apply it given Netgear’s history. I will wait a few days for others to report back thier experience. It’s Christmas and I WILL NOT let Orbi ruin my holiday weekend.

Message 2 of 14
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Why isn't this posted / why isn't there a link to this in the closed Beta forum?

Message 3 of 14

Where can I download the beta firmware?

Message 4 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Glad to know that NG is working on a new Orbi software and that it’s being tested by users.
But also disappointed that this beta testing is happening outside the established community dedicated for this purpose.
Is it a secret testing? Why do you need to make testing “in secret”? On which basis test pilots are being selected?
Message 5 of 14
Boomerang3
Apprentice

Just upgraded my “SRR60” to 2.2.2.20.  So far everything looks good, but it’s early.  I did see that the satellite rebooted a couple times, but I was patient and everything came back online.  Again, early but looks good.

I’ve had my SRR60 since they were 1st released and went through some issues in the early days that rebooting solved.

I’ll update if I have any issues.

Message 6 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

I had left a post in the post "Are you interested in beta testing" but have heard nothing.  What is best way to get into that program?  Would love to help test this new firmware.

Message 7 of 14

I am interested in Beta testing.   

Message 8 of 14
Ragar99
Luminary

@ekhalil wrote:
Glad to know that NG is working on a new Orbi software and that it’s being tested by users.
But also disappointed that this beta testing is happening outside the established community dedicated for this purpose.
Is it a secret testing? Why do you need to make testing “in secret”? On which basis test pilots are being selected?

You don't have a birth right to beta testing just because you bought an Orbi.  Netgear has posted previously looking for beta testers, though they may not in all cases.  If they want to keep something  quiet or secret it is their choice.

Message 9 of 14

I think there is a confusion. The official  SRS60 (aka Orbi Pro)  firmware v2.2.2.20 was released.  I am not sure if there is a  beta version for the regular Orbi RBK50.

Message 10 of 14
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

@craigbailey18 wrote:

I think there is a confusion. The official  SRS60 (aka Orbi Pro)  firmware v2.2.2.20 was released.  I am not sure if there is a  beta version for the regular Orbi RBK50.

This answers a lot.  Thanks for your post.

Message 11 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@Ragar99 wrote:

You don't have a birth right to beta testing just because you bought an Orbi.  Netgear has posted previously looking for beta testers, though they may not in all cases.  If they want to keep something  quiet or secret it is their choice.

Or may be you don't know that there is an official Beta Testing Community that I'm refering to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Beta-Firmware/bd-p/en-home-beta-firmware-orbi?lang=en

Message 12 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@craigbailey18 wrote:

Thanks for the information. I think this explains it. 🙂

Message 13 of 14
Flash008
Luminary

Ekhalil,

You are a beta tester. If you use an Orbi and have the latest firmware, then clearly you know how half-baked it is, and how much Netgear does not care and will not respond. This makes you a beta tester (aka: testing a product or service that is not ready for prime time, maybe filled with “known” bugs and inconsistent functionality and/or behavior).

The people who have the non-public firmware are alpha testers. They use that code knowing that their Orbi will not work and experience problems 24/7.

So be careful with what you ask for.

I did apply the new 2.2.2.20 public code late last night. And I am very afraid and prepared for more problems as comes with each Orbi code release. I upgraded with the full knowledge that it may be a bad choice and I may be required to use an hour of my time to rollback to the previous.

But it’s Christmas and New Years!!!

No complaints. No spending my entire day fighting the beta product called “Orbi”!

Go, call a friend. Go hug your mother and father and say “I love you”.

Have no fear that Netgear and Orbi will consume PLENTY of your time in 2019 when they release more of their beta code which you will spend countless hours troubleshooting and posting your complaints on this forum.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year, Happy Chinese New Year, etc, etc

And may God bless all of you and Netgear for 2019 with Orbi code that will not fullfill any of the Orbi empty promises of features not delivered, and stability and performance we wish for under the Christmas tree but know Santa is not real...
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7