Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi rbr50 bricked by 2.7.2 update

Jgoldsti
Star

Orbi rbr50 bricked by 2.7.2 update

I updated my rbr50 via the orbi app on my iPad from 2.7.1.60 to 2.7.2.0.

after upgrade, the rbr50 top light was flashing white and boot would not complete. Tried resetting to factory settings and this did not help.

tried tftp'ing 2.7.1.60 to the router using netgear directions but router would not allow tftp..pinging port 192.168.1.1 timed out and tftp timed out.

is there anything else to try or is the rbr50 ruined?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it recovered and up and running. I recommend making a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW.

It's recommended to use a PC or Laptop and web page to update FW on Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 5
Jgoldsti
Star

Thank you! 
I had misread the directions for tftp. I re-read after your reply and this worked!

I had to factory reset the router and reloading the firmware and rebooting...now everything is working great!

I wish Netgear would remove the firmware update from the orbi iOS app if this is not the recommended way to apply firmware updates, but now that I know not to use it, all good.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it recovered and up and running. I recommend making a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 5
vajim
Master

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7