Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbr50 router Wifi does not work but satellites do

msanand
Initiate

Orbi rbr50 router Wifi does not work but satellites do

Hey all - I’m having what I think is a unique problem. I have a RBR50 router with 2 RBS50 satellites. Hooked up to an Arris modem connected back to Comcast. My iPhone and my kids iPads simply cannot get any connectivity when those devices are closer to the main router. When those devices get moved to another room and presumably connect to one of the satellite they can get online fine. In fact I am connected via one of the satellites and typing this on my iPhone 🙂 One thing to note is that those devices do connect to the WiFi network from the router and show a strong signal in fact. It’s just that no websites load up. Another thing that’s weird is that there’s other devices, particularly my Sonos speakers, that are connected over WiFi to the router and they function no problem. It’s just these iOS devices that do not seem to be able to
connect to the internet when they are in close proximity of the router. Any help or pointers would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr50 router Wifi does not work but satellites do

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
msanand
Initiate

Thank you so much for the advice!! I had to set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only and set Short preamble instead of Long preamble. Rebooted and the dead zones with the iOS devices are gone! Thing of the past. Thanks a lot!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear.

Please mark your post thread and solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7