Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbr50v2 speed question sudden problem

rickhow
Aspirant

Orbi rbr50v2 speed question sudden problem

"Main" router on second floor (office).  Satellite on main floor. With Ethernet connection from main router to my desktop  speed about 3 feet distance is 352.9 mbps.  My upload is 11.7.  I have a laptop, in same room, about 5 feet from router.  It gets 48.4 D and 11.7 upload.  Of course I expected wireless to be slower download but these seem huge (down to 48.4 from  352.9.  Time for new router??

Also.  I have 2 Roku (built in) TV's connected wirelessly..  When I run the built in speed test on the Roku home screen, the signal strength for the TV on the same floor as the main router reports signal strength as excellent but download speed just 17mbps!!  It used to be commonly 117 to 128.  The tv on main floor near satellite wireless connection reports strenth as Excellent but download just reported as 16mbps!!   This too used to usually be about 117 to 128.  

Thoughts???  Larger than normal drop between download ethernet wired at 352, wireless at only 48?  Excellent signal strength to wireless TV's but download only 17mbps when used to always be over 110??

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr50v2 speed question sudden problem

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Ensure laptop wifi drivers are up to date.

Ensure that the laptop IS connected to nearest RBR or RBS. If it's connecting to the farther RBR or RBS, speeds would be seen as lower. 

Check the connection rate on the laptop when it's connected to the RBR or RBS.

Turn OFF the RBS and take the laptop to near the RBR and run your speed tests there. 6feet distance should be good. 

Depending on device support and design, wifi speeds top out at around 300 to 500 on 5Ghz AC. 

When was the last time the entire system was powered OFF for 1 minute then back ON including the modem?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7