Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi reading lennox iComfort thermostat as a Satellite

JD15
Aspirant

Orbi reading lennox iComfort thermostat as a Satellite

My lennox iComfort S30 will not connect to my Orbi network and I think this may be why.  It looks like the Orbi is trying to read it as a Satellite and not as a device that wants to connect to the network.  

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

TIA

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What appears on the RBRs web page under Connected Devices? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 18
vajim
Master

How does the Lennox thermostat normally connect?

At the thermostat or iPhone?

freq?

Message 3 of 18
JD15
Aspirant

Firmware is up-to-date on my RBR753 as well as the iComfort S30.  I have done two full-resets on the orbi but that didn't make any difference.

The orbi keeps trying to read the thermostat as a Satellite.  I just spent an hour working my way up the levels of the Lennox customer support and I finally got to the top guy.  He was very familiar with orbi but he has never seen it trying to connect as a Satellite.  He asked for screenshots so they can escalate that issue internally.   Otherwise, we got nowhere until I tried the following trick that I read elsewhere on this forum.  This appears to be the workaround:

-Instead of selecting your wifi network (SSID) from the populated list in the iComfort, scroll to the bottom and select "OTHER" and then manually type in your network name (SSID) and manually select your security that is set on your SSID (WPA2, etc), and then it should connect.

Oddly enough, even though the iComfort is now connected to my orbi, it does NOT show as a "connected device" on the list.  

Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@JD15 wrote:

Oddly enough, even though the iComfort is now connected to my orbi, it does NOT show as a "connected device" on the list.  

Does it still show up as a "satellite"?  Orbi's ability to show connected devices is an "open issue".  My newest firmware, 2.7.2.102 still does not show an Echo Dot, although the log clearly shows the Dot being assigned an IP address and the Dot plays music.

Message 5 of 18
JD15
Aspirant

Yep, still shows as a "not connected" Satellite.

Message 6 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@JD15 wrote:

But aside from that, it works?

Message 7 of 18
vajim
Master

this is the part I don't understand....."The orbi keeps trying to read the thermostat as a Satellite. "

IF the thermostat is NOT connected how is the Orbi even seeing it???

Message 8 of 18
JD15
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@JD15 wrote:

But aside from that, it works?

Yep.

Message 9 of 18
JD15
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

this is the part I don't understand....."The orbi keeps trying to read the thermostat as a Satellite. "

No clue.  The screenshot I attached to the first post was taken with the wifi feature turned on in the iComfort (so that it would show me the list of available SSID's) but not connected to any network.

Message 10 of 18
vajim
Master

@JD15 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

No clue.  The screenshot I attached to the first post was taken with the wifi feature turned on in the iComfort (so that it would show me the list of available SSID's) but not connected to any network.

yup that is weird....I would login to the orbi via the pc login and try and remove the lennox....it's not a sat.  and it looks like you're using the app...NOT recommended....

I have a google nest....once it was installed on the wall, the on-screen instructions walked me through the wifi connection. where i entered the wifi password.  i would think the lennonx would be similar unless its all done on the iphone??

Message 11 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

The image was a screen shot of the Orbi "app" network diagram.

On the Orbi web interface, "Attached Devices", does the Lennox thermostat appear at the top (in the "Satellites" section, or down in the body of the device table?

If it is at the top, I would be tempted to "Forget" the satellite and see what happens. (I would also be reluctant to mess with it since the thermostat is "working".)

Message 12 of 18
JD15
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@JD15 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

yup that is weird....I would login to the orbi via the pc login and try and remove the lennox....it's not a sat.  and it looks like you're using the app...NOT recommended....

I have a google nest....once it was installed on the wall, the on-screen instructions walked me through the wifi connection. where i entered the wifi password.  i would think the lennonx would be similar unless its all done on the iphone??

That's correct, the Lennox is the same.  Setup done "on the wall."  It has worked flawlessly with my old router for the 8 months that I had it before getting the orbi.

That's a great idea...I didn't think to remove it through the web.  As soon as I removed it from the "Satellite" list, it repopulated under the "connected devices" list.  

Message 13 of 18
vajim
Master

@JD15 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@JD15 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

That's correct, the Lennox is the same.  Setup done "on the wall."  It has worked flawlessly with my old router for the 8 months that I had it before getting the orbi.

That's a great idea...I didn't think to remove it through the web.  As soon as I removed it from the "Satellite" list, it repopulated under the "connected devices" list.  

well there ya go....great job....now go have a drink and enjoy your lennox....say away from the app...if you feel the problem is solved you can make this thread as such.  Thanks

Message 14 of 18
JD15
Aspirant

I'd like to now go into the SSID list on the iComfort and then select my SSID and see if it connects that way (instead of the workaround way of manually building the SSID), but I'm not messing with it.  Someone else can experiment on that!

Thanks for the help!

Message 15 of 18
vajim
Master

@JD15 wrote:

I'd like to now go into the SSID list on the iComfort and then select my SSID and see if it connects that way (instead of the workaround way of manually building the SSID), but I'm not messing with it.  Someone else can experiment on that!

Thanks for the help!

a better way to check would be to simply go to the lennox at the wall and click and click to settings and somewhere in there it should show you the SSID its connected to.  you may not need to select ot change anything

Message 16 of 18
fmalloy
Luminary

Is it possible the Lennox unit tried to connect to the backhaul channel, which would make the Orbi think it's a satellite?

I had an issue with a NETGEAR WiFi dongle connected to my satellite dish box. In the dish box network setup, I saw two SSID entries for 5GHz (same string), and two for 2.4GHz (same string). I wondered why there would be two...

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 18
vajim
Master

@fmalloy wrote:

Is it possible the Lennox unit tried to connect to the backhaul channel, which would make the Orbi think it's a satellite?

I had an issue with a NETGEAR WiFi dongle connected to my satellite dish box. In the dish box network setup, I saw two SSID entries for 5GHz (same string), and two for 2.4GHz (same string). I wondered why there would be two...

Thanks 

I think the original poster is good to go 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7