Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi reboot every time when upper link disconnected logically (not physically)

scegg
Aspirant

Orbi reboot every time when upper link disconnected logically (not physically)

Hello.

Here is my network at home:

Modem -- Router (WNDR3700v4) for dialing up -- RBR50 -- (wifi) -- Satellite

Orbi is set as AP mode.
Some devices are connected to RBR50 by wire, some are connected to Satellite by wire. Others are connected by wifi.

My ISP requires re-dial up evey day. When the time up, it will drop the PPPoE connection and the router have to re-dial up. It dealt with my router (WNDR3700v4) without any problem.

Problem is: when PPPoE disconnected, the Orbi reboots. It happened every day. While it's rebooting, light of RBR50 and satellite turns to magenta and all the devices connected to RBR50 by LAN (not wifi) are disconnected physically -- reported by those devices, as well as wifi is gone. It will last for 2-3 minutes.

When PPPoE disconnected, my router (WNDR3700v4) won't reboot. It just need to re-dial up. All devices connected to it directly works without any problem, no disconnecting at all.

I fired my support ticket 45 days ago. No reply at all.

Any idea?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi reboot every time when upper link disconnected logically (not physically)

You would have to try a different router in place of the 3700 to see if the problem happens if connected to the WAN port.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

Disable ALL wifi radios on the WNDR3700, configure the WNDR3700 DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the WNDR3700. Set a IP address for the Orbi routers IP address it gets ON the WNDR3700. Then try using the Orbi router in Router mode.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Firmware version is 2.1.4.16.

All radios on WNDR3700v4 are disabled already. coz I just need it as a dial-up router with some LAN service. DMZ setup of WNDR3700v4 is preserved for my main home computer -- there are some apps I used daily not support UPNP.

And actually, there is NO WAY to setup the IP of the Orbi when it set as AP mode, funny? It just keep to use the original one gotten while it set as router.

The size of my home is around 800 sqft. No more than 30 ft between router and satellite. When router works, the connection speed between them are fast enough (> 50 MBytes/sec) and stable.

2.4GHz is set to auto. 5Ghs is on 36. There are several WiFi nearby, around 5-8.

The problem is the router reboots while re-dial up on WNDR3700v4. Even all LAN-based computers conencted to the router are reported disconnected.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume that there maybe a problem with the 3700.

I would try the DMZ for the Orbi as a test to see if it changes anything. You can revert back if it doesn't work.

Have you tried the Orbi router in router mode in place of your 3700? It's got PPPoE support as well.

Message 4 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

So what magic power the 3700 has, to make the orbi reboot, and only orbi reboot...

I'll test your plan later. There are some devices connected to the 3700 directly, which won't be affected as orbi.

I was planned to use Orbi as a replacement of 3700. But the sad thing is my NAS will send alarm email when the LAN is physically disconnected. To avoid receive those junk every day, currently I have to connect it directly to 3700. 

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to disregard the NAS messages while the configuration is changed over.

Not sure why the Orbi is rebooting. Try connecting the Orbi router to the 3700 using the LAN port and not the WAN port and see.

Message 6 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

Thanks for you idea.

Now I use LAN, instead of WAN, on Orbi to connect it to 3700. Let's see whether it reboot tomorrow. I'll update it.

BTW, when I switch the cable, the Orbi is not rebooted. The light of the router turns red but the satellite doesn't. Now all clients on satellite can still access the internet but in the webpage of Orbi, no satellites listed at all (all devices connected to satellite are listed as connection type - unknown.

Message 7 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

Now one more problem found:

When WAN port is not used on router, the router will always light as red. Tried reboot, no fix to the light, but fix the satellite displaying.

Network works.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the top led will be pink as it's meant to detect the WAN port connection. Its ok if it's Pink. Nothing can be done with it if using the LAN port. I wanted to see if using the LAN port would show a different result.

Message 9 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

Okay, I leave it as using LAN till next re-dial up. I'll update the result here.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good.

Message 11 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

It doesn't reboot this time, with LAN port used instead of WAN.

Any idea?

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible some odd handshaking happening with the 3700 that causes the Orbi to reboot when connected to it's WAN port. Just speculation. You would have to try a different router in place of the 3700 to see if the problem happens if connected to the WAN port.

Message 13 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

FYI: 2.2.1.210 does not fix this

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You would have to try a different router in place of the 3700 to see if the problem happens if connected to the WAN port.

Message 15 of 17
scegg
Aspirant

Tested with other routerS.

While re-dial up, some router's IP will not be reachable by ICMP echo testing (ping). Working with these routers, orbi will reboot. If the ping to the main router can be passed without problem, orbi will not reboot.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that would be a host router issue I believe as we don't see this issue with Orbi connetions with Cable, DSL or FIOS ISP services. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7