Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi recently became very slow.

FURRYe38
Guru

MIght try the full FW re-load, reset and setup from scratch. 

I tagged a moderator to contact you to see what can be done. 

@soldenburg wrote:

I did do a complete system factory reset on the access point and all 3 sattelites.

I would have reached out for support from netgear directly but couldn't find a way beyond community support, and searching led me here to this thread, which I now see was a few months old and the OP did say a manual firmware load fixed his issue, but we're now a few firmware verisons ahead.

I purchased the system on black friday 2017, so I've had it about 13.5 months so far. Figure any limited warranty is out the window at this point.

Message 26 of 44
soldenburg
Tutor

Gotcha. Yep no dice on the full reset and setup from scratch - that was my last ditch effort before posting here.

Appreciate your help, and tagging a moderator. 

Worst case scenario I'll part out the sattelites to sell so I won't be in the red toooo bad overall.

Message 27 of 44
soldenburg
Tutor

Also I see you missed my edit - I'm not willing to do manual firmware loading. I've already spent too much time on this and I'm not willing to put in anymore for an idea that I'm really not that comfortable with doing myself.

Message 28 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 29 of 44
Jpol026
Aspirant

I am having the same exact issue. The funniest part is that my orbi is connected via Ethernet to a NETGEAR C6300 !! I’ve tried everything in this post and more. I currently have the wireless disabled on the c6300 and when I reboot it the speeds jump up some for a short period of time. No exact rhyme or reason to when it slows down or how much. You would figure these things would at least be compatible with their own modems!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 30 of 44
soldenburg
Tutor

Wish I had a positive ending to share, but I ended up giving up, sold the kit to someone more concerned with coverage over speed, and bought a Google WiFi kit. No problems since.
Message 31 of 44
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@soldenburg wrote:
... I had a positive ending to share, ... bought a Google WiFi kit. No problems since.

Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 44
Jpol026
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 33 of 44

@Jpol026 wrote:

I am having the same exact issue. The funniest part is that my orbi is connected via Ethernet to a NETGEAR C6300 !!

The C6300 is a  modem router. The Orbi is a router.

Turning off the wifi on the C6300 with the button on the front does not disable its router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Many users put their Orbi bases into wireless access point mode. An alternative is to put the C6300 into bridge mode.

There is a support for the C6300, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C6300 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 34 of 44
Jpol026
Aspirant

That is not how I disabled the wifi on the c6300. First I changed the router mode at a technicians request. That caused nightmares. Then I just disabled wireless on the c6300 through the gateway radios. 

Message 35 of 44

@Jpol026 wrote:

That is not how I disabled the wifi on the c6300. First I changed the router mode at a technicians request. That caused nightmares. Then I just disabled wireless on the c6300 through the gateway radios. 

None of that tells us how your c6300 is set up.

What did the technician tell you to do?

Where/what are the "gateway radios"?

Message 36 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

You can change the mode of the C6300 to modem mode and this will fully disable all router and wifi radios on the C6300. Look Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings for any router or NAT mode. On my C7800 it's call NAT mode. When disabled, this changes this to modem only mode with out the router and wifi radios. 

@Jpol026 wrote:

Message 37 of 44
Jpol026
Aspirant

That’s how I originally did it and that caused worse problems. The most functionality I have is the way it is set up now. Here’s the whole thing:

Spectrum internet at plus 100 Ms

Orbis connected on a different floor with Ethernet cable

Keep in mind, before I purchased the Orbis I was using an older router to extend the network(but as we all know, older routers cut your speeds down at least in half and the range shouldn’t compare to the Orbis ) I did this for a long time with no fluctuation or need to reboot anything.

Orbi setup:

Internet

DNS auto

mac address default

wireless setup:

2.4 auto

5g-36.      Ive tried different settings on both with no success

Security:

wpa2psk

Wan Setup:

IGMP disabled

nat filt.-secured

Backhaul - daisy chain is not enabled

Message 38 of 44
Jpol026
Aspirant

Is it possible that I want backhaull on the orbi router and not the satellite? Is that possible?

Message 39 of 44
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi @Jpol026,

NETGEAR C6300 seems like a decent router.  You might as well take advantage of C6300 and avoid the trouble by putting the Orbi in AP Mode.  After all, the main reason you got the Orbi was to get better WiFi coverage.  With this setup, you can use C6300 as a third WiFi band router.  It's what I would refer to as a poor man Tri Band setup with multiple old/new routers.  You just have to configure separate WiFi channels for C6300 and Orbi to avoid WiFi channel collision, then you don't have to worry about WiFi interference.  NETGEAR Tri Band Routers, R7900P/R8000P/etc, all work the same way, but it's all in one unit.

If having multiple WiFi bands/signals within proximity is a problem, NETGEAR wouldn't be selling Tri-Band router.   Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have the Orbi RBR connected to the ISP modem at a different location. Whats the cabling like between the Orbi and the modem? Any patch panels or switches between the modem and Orbi RBR? 

You might test the RBR near the ISP modem to rule out anything in between and in wall from the modem to where you have the Orbi now. Test the Orbi directly connected to the modem.

ISP Modem(modem mode)>Orbi>Lan cable connected PC to speed test wired connection.

Ive had a RBR connected to a C7800 in modem mode and saw no issues. Speeds were to spec on my 200/10 service. 

@Jpol026 wrote:

That’s how I originally did it and that caused worse problems. The most functionality I have is the way it is set up now. Here’s the whole thing:

Spectrum internet at plus 100 Ms

Orbis connected on a different floor with Ethernet cable

Keep in mind, before I purchased the Orbis I was using an older router to extend the network(but as we all know, older routers cut your speeds down at least in half and the range shouldn’t compare to the Orbis ) I did this for a long time with no fluctuation or need to reboot anything.

Orbi setup:

Internet

DNS auto

mac address default

wireless setup:

2.4 auto

5g-36.      Ive tried different settings on both with no success

Security:

wpa2psk

Wan Setup:

IGMP disabled

nat filt.-secured

Backhaul - daisy chain is not enabled

Message 41 of 44
Jpol026
Aspirant

I originally had the orbi in AP mode and it didn’t work well at all. Even after changing channels. That’s what started the whole problem. I just enabled the Orbi backhaul feature and it seems to be working much better. Still have significant speed loss from the orbi to my devices though. Only time will tell if it crashes and needs daily(or more) reboots. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 42 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Backhaul is running weather in AP mode or router mode and weather in wireless or wired connection with the satellellites. Backhaul should never be disabled. Are you separating SSIDs? 

So what mode are you using now? Router? If so, I presume the modem is in modem only mode? Or router mode and using the modems DMZ for the Orbi? 

If a factory reset and setup from scratch or try for the v60 FW update if it shows as available for you on your RBR, then give this a try. After it's loaded on the satellites first then RBR, I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Possible you may have a bad system. Might need to be RMAd. 

Message 43 of 44
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Jpol026 ,

@Jpol026 wrote:

I originally had the orbi in AP mode and it didn’t work well at all. Even after changing channels. That’s what started the whole problem. I just enabled the Orbi backhaul feature and it seems to be working much better. Still have significant speed loss from the orbi to my devices though. Only time will tell if it crashes and needs daily(or more) reboots. 

Did you set the same SSID for both C6300 and Orbi when Orbi was in AP mode?  Sorry, what did you mean by enabling Orbi backhaul feature?  Did you mean to say Daisy-Chain by any chance?  How exactly did you enable/disable this feature?

If there were (speed) issues prior with AP Mode, it's highly unlikely that changing Orbi to Router Mode will resolve those problems.  We really need to help you root causing the source of the problem in your setup before suggesting any remedy.

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7