Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi refuses to change status for blocked devices

Seattlites
Aspirant

Orbi refuses to change status for blocked devices

I have the latest firmware for RBR50 and RBS50 and generally everything seems to work as well as could be expected, except for two of three new devices I've added to the network over the past two days.  After disabling Access Control (to make the initial connection process a bit easier) and then re-enabling it, two of the three devices I've added continue to be blocked.  Neither the admin console, nor the Orbi app seem to be able to unblock these devices, or, in some cases the status will change to allowed and then revert back to blocked.

The new 2.4G devices I've added are:

1) WyzeCam Pan (I already have a 'regular' WyzeCam connected wirelessly) - cannot change status to allowed

2) Smart Outlet #1 (this outlet is not blocked)

3) Smart Outlet #2 - this outlet has a poor connection, but functions just fine if I disable Access Control

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Seattlites
Aspirant

Hello Blanca.  Sorry for my delayed reply as I was out of country for a couple weeks immediately following my original post.

In any case, the situation appears to have resolved itself.  I can't say what caused it or why it self-resolved after many, many ill-fated attempts to get the devices back into 'Allowed' status.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try using IE11, FF or Opera to see if any changes are seen here. 

Do you see any error messages? What is the visual behavior in the UI that the controls are not working? 

There have been some reporting problems with access controls.

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

Message 2 of 14
Seattlites
Aspirant

I use FF most of the time.  Just for kicks, I loaded the admin console with IE 11 and re-enabled Access Control (which I had disabled overnight).

• The new WyzeCam says allowed (I did not change it), but I'm not sure I believe the router will keep the setting as it seems like it flipped over this past weekend.
  • The second outlet is still blocked and will not change to allowed. Again, it has a weak signal, yet it is otherwise connected if I disable Access Control.  If I attempt to recitfy the situation via the Orbi app, it gives me a message about "try again later" and last night I tried it several times in a row and it actually caused the router to reset or something similar...I lost all connectivity for a few minutes.

I probably have to disable Access Control for now, but I dislike that solution.  Perhaps a fix in the next Firmware update is in order?

Message 3 of 14
Seattlites
Aspirant

I will also say that the names of some of the allowed devices (no changes to those) seem to change.  For example, multiple Sonos speakers that usually say "SONOSZP" now reflect different names, two of which say "Unknown."  Not sure what's happened with the allowed device list, but there seems to be a bug.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, seems to be a bug. I would make contact with NG support and or a forum moderator as well. 

@Seattlites wrote:

I use FF most of the time.  Just for kicks, I loaded the admin console with IE 11 and re-enabled Access Control (which I had disabled overnight).

• The new WyzeCam says allowed (I did not change it), but I'm not sure I believe the router will keep the setting as it seems like it flipped over this past weekend.
  • The second outlet is still blocked and will not change to allowed. Again, it has a weak signal, yet it is otherwise connected if I disable Access Control.  If I attempt to recitfy the situation via the Orbi app, it gives me a message about "try again later" and last night I tried it several times in a row and it actually caused the router to reset or something similar...I lost all connectivity for a few minutes.

I probably have to disable Access Control for now, but I dislike that solution.  Perhaps a fix in the next Firmware update is in order?

Message 5 of 14
Seattlites
Aspirant

Thanks for your help! How do I reach a forum moderator?

Also, I see no way to contact support unless I pay for it, so I'm not sure how to make them aware...?

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try to make contact with 

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

or @ChristineT via PM

Message 7 of 14
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Seattlites

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 14
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Seattlites

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 14
Seattlites
Aspirant

Hello Blanca.  Sorry for my delayed reply as I was out of country for a couple weeks immediately following my original post.

In any case, the situation appears to have resolved itself.  I can't say what caused it or why it self-resolved after many, many ill-fated attempts to get the devices back into 'Allowed' status.

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 14
delcas
Initiate

Hi.  

I don't know if this will be useful to you or not, but I had a similar issue with two new units I added to my R7800 router showing as BLOCKED when the Access Control system was switched on.  I selected the items individually, clicked ALLOW and it did not make a single bit of difference.

If this sounds like the same problem, the 'solution' I found was to manually add the devices to the list of units not connected to the router at that current time (the middle list on my screen).  I had to type the MAC addresses in manually (though didn't have to use the : symbols as it populated them in the end), but once I had put the full 12 chars and a name in, the BLOCKED units 'magically' turned to ALLOWED ... right in front of my eyes :-).

Seems to be a 'work around' that solved my problem so I hope it helps you with yours :-).

G

Message 12 of 14
Seattlites
Aspirant

Ah, will definitely try that next time if this happens again.  Thanks for your reply!

Message 13 of 14
kerauno
Aspirant

The netgear orbi ac3000 has this same prooblem.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7