Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi refuses to recognize SN# on setup

dtmackey
Follower

Orbi refuses to recognize SN# on setup

Going thru setup on the app and I’ve entered the SN# 4 times and it’s telling me it’s not recognized. My son confirmed the number and case is correct and the box and number on the device match.
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi refuses to recognize SN# on setup

Netgear does not make this apparent, but there are two ways to install an Orbi router:

1. Using the Orbi "app", which is "wonderfully quick & easy" (ha).  Has a glamerous user interface. BUT... does not provide access to a HOST of Orbi features.  The serial number is probably to set up an entry in the Netgear "Cloud" for the Anywhere Access feature.  or...
  2. Using an ordinary web browser.  This method for certain does not require inputting the router serial number.  Does not require inputting the Netgear account ID/password.  This is how MY Orbi was set up.  Because so many people post questions about the "app", I did go back later and install it, but seldom open it.

Please check out the user manual starting on page 12:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

p.s. probably should have asked which model of Orbi this is.  My serial number starts with "4S2C8".  To some people that "S" might look like a "five".

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi refuses to recognize SN# on setup

p.s. The error message is "not recognized", not "already in use", correct?

When people purchase Orbi's that were installed and then returned, the serial number is often "taken" in the Cloud database.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7