Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi restart issues

CharAp
Follower

Orbi restart issues

Looking at the Netgear Orbi as a mesh wifi solution. Very good reviews all over the place but I also saw the following at TechRadar (https://www.techradar.com/reviews/netgear-orbi😞

Second, should you lose power or accidentally unplug either the Router or a Satellite, getting both products to operate normally again is tougher than it should be. Whether it’s getting the two to sync up again or for the connected devices in question to recognize the network, it’s a hassle  to the point that hard-resetting both devices with their pin-sized “Reset” buttons might be faster.

Has anyone any experience of this issue, or know what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

This problem exists even when running the main Orbi in AP mode, which I do. Even a 2-second power glitch would crash my network because the Orbis couldn't recover. I finally gave up fighting it and put all 3 of my Orbis on UPSes.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 11
tsig
Luminary

I have turned off breakers powering the satellites and routers together and separetly and have had a power outage.  Everything behaves as expected once power is restored.  Sorry if this bust anyone's bubble.

Message 3 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@tsig wrote:

I have turned off breakers powering the satellites and routers together and separetly and have had a power outage.  Everything behaves as expected once power is restored.  Sorry if this bust anyone's bubble.

We all have different setups and different problems. For example, I'm using wired backhaul, and guessing that makes recovery from power outages more problematic. I imagine the Orbis power up looking for wireless backhaul first.

My bubble is still intact. Now if someone replies their wired Orbi system restores perfectly after a power outage, POP!

Message 4 of 11
waynealight
Apprentice

i have similiar issues and I also put both my orbis on ups backups.  I can restart them fine if they are wireless but ethernet backhaul creates another issue.  If i have to restart I will unplug ethernet backhaul, restart both systems and let them sync. then plug ethernet back in.  Its the most efficient was I can do it.  This only happens if I'm changing firmware or a major network change that requires me to unplug the router.   The backup keeps everything up and running with no issues.

Message 5 of 11
cvoisey
Guide

I am experiencing the same right now.  The problem is that I can't get signal to all parts, so it sounds like I have the exact same problems.  Wired backhaul is horribly implemented.  

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

How have you set up your system? 

Is Daisy chain enabled when you have wired back haul connected? 

Whats the distance between the router and satellites? 

SqFt of your home? 

I set up my friends system with 1 wired back haul satellite and it's still going:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

See if this helps you any...

@cvoisey wrote:

I am experiencing the same right now.  The problem is that I can't get signal to all parts, so it sounds like I have the exact same problems.  Wired backhaul is horribly implemented.  

Message 7 of 11
cvoisey
Guide

First, I managed to get this working by doing a hard reset of the entire system and setting it up again.  I found several reports of people doing this and Netgear recommending it following a firmware update.  Personally, that seems like a horrible solution and likely contributes to higher than expected returns.  Following this hard reset, I slowly (and painfully) started each router on wireless backhaul only, using extension cords to get access to every one of them.  Again, WOW!  What a horrible esperience if that was what fixed it.  Afterall, there is a wired backhaul available and everything is discoverable through that.  After everything was stable, I added one-by-one the wired backhaul to the furthest satellite and one in the middle. The end result was a system that now seems to be stable for 24 hours.

To answer the questions from @FURRYe38,
Daisy Chain is not enabled
Distance between Satellites is approximately 20 ft from base to 2 satellites, the third satellite is about 40 feet away from the other two satelltes.  
My home is actually pretty small at only 1100 sqft.  But through a combination of being 100 years old (SoCal architecture), renovations, etc. I know some walls block wireless signal.  The mesh used for the lat and plaster essentially forms a faraday cage.  This is why a wired backhaul was important for me and several satellites.  

I'm hopeful but not confident that my set-up will hold up.  Based on having the same system and hearing Netgear tell me for about 6 months to wait, they will fix this, I am very doubtful.  I spend about 9 hours a month trying to fix a problem when it occurs and that solution is usually reseting the Orbi equipment and using extension cords to do similar to that above.  I kid you not, I have gone through this type of procedure about 8 times since I purchased my first Orbi in December.  If this fails again, I'm jumping on the Eero bandwagon I think.  I hear nothing but overly amazing reviews of that product, especially its hardwired backhaul.  It will cost me more, but that will be offset by the time I spend fixing this system.  

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, a factory reset and set up from scratch is a last resort thing to do.

Also the distances between the two satellites and base maybe a bit too close. 30 feet is a good starting point since the router can cover up to 30 feet on it's own. However as you mentioned, building materials maybe a factor. I have 1 base and 1 satellite in a 5000sq ft home and I have great coverage and performance.

I think you'll be fine since you reset the system. Yes, it's not ideal to reset the system and set up from scratch, however its valid and maybe needed as a last resort.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

We appear to have the same issue, After rebooting the router, we have to hard reset the satelites with a needle. 

Looks like double IP numbers are issued and.or the DHCP is not well implemted...

any tips?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

@Retired_Member wrote:

We appear to have the same issue, After rebooting the router, we have to hard reset the satelites with a needle. 

Looks like double IP numbers are issued and.or the DHCP is not well implemted...

any tips?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7