Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rk50 network map worthless and wrong

RJBorbi
Aspirant

Orbi rk50 network map worthless and wrong

Logging into router or satellite gives different information about what connected where.

Updated most recent firmwar 2.7.x.x

shows satellite connected by wire and has no wired connection.

Now shows that have 3 satellites and I only have 2 (but I would take a third if Netgear would give me one because their software is so buggy as a peace offering for giving my such a pain as I try to trouble shoot my system).

logging out, logging in. no change

refressh no change

different results when logging in to router or using the iPhone app.

Really - is is that hard to give an accurate map of the network.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi rk50 network map worthless and wrong

@RJBorbi wrote:

Logging into router or satellite gives different information about what connected where.

The impression I get from posts on the forum is that the Orbi "app" appears to be defective (as you concluded).

I, personally, open the app only when a post in the forum piques my interest (which is not often). In contrast, I use the web interface many times each day.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@RJBorbi wrote:

shows satellite connected by wire and has no wired connection.

Now shows that have 3 satellites and I only have 2 (but I would take a third if Netgear would give me one because their software is so buggy as a peace offering for giving my such a pain as I try to trouble shoot my system).

logging out, logging in. no change

refressh no change

different results when logging in to router or using the iPhone app.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

@RJBorbi wrote:

The impression I get from posts on the forum is that the Orbi "app" appears to be defective (as you concluded).

Around these hours and current firmware, we have users in the community stating there is no map in the Web UI available, too. I'm really concerned. At the end of the day, both the Web UI and the App should show about the same topology (ok, short time roaming of mobile devices is always possible), isn't it?

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Around these hours and current firmware, we have users in the community stating there is no map in the Web UI available, too. I'm really concerned. At the end of the day, both the Web UI and the App should show about the same topology (ok, short time roaming of mobile devices is always possible), isn't it?

There may be multiple issues being discussed:

• Unless I am mistaken, the only "map" is the diagram of router/satellites in the Orbi "app".
    The web interface does not display a graphic presentation.
  • That diagram in the "app" does not include user devices.
  • Both the app and the web interface provide information about which Orbi unit each satellite and device is connected to, just not a drawing.

The complaints that seem most frequent center on the app, not the web interface:

• Wrong number of satellites and wrong connection method.
    Neither of these should change minute-to-minute
  • Devices simply missing for an extended period of time.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I've had good Orbi app and network map operations with v16 FW loaded. I haven't tried the later versions of FW though. 

Message 6 of 8
RJBorbi
Aspirant

The app is wrong often.  Again today it shows that I have more satellites then I own and the topograhpy is in error. So why does netgear have an app that doesn't give accurate information.

the web interface when logging into the router or satellite often give devices connected to different access points. Again it gives me a good deal of pause re a company whose software is sloppy.  the interface to the router often show my satellite as wired when it is not and not wired when it is (at least a wire is connected not sure if it is using it for the back flow).  I have been trying to problem shoot connections and locations and this is seriously hampered by the software.

Yes most recent firmware and reboot after installation. I did not re sync my devices because the last I did that it was hours with support and eventually we gave up trying to figure it out because I had adequate speed.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to factory reset the RBR and RBS and walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. This will correct the phantom RBS seen in Orbi app. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7