Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router - Can I create a VLAN on the WAN port?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi router - Can I create a VLAN on the WAN port?

I have CenturyLink's 1 gigabit fiber optic Internet service. CenturyLink requires VLAN 201 set on the WAN port. Can I do this with the Orbi router?

If the Orbi router does allow this, my only concern is if the router will actually push through gigabit speeds via the wired connection to my desktop. A lot of routers don't. Right now I'm using the Asus AC3100 and it stays pretty true to my gigabit Internet. I get about 900Mbps down/up when running SpeedTest.net. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 17

the asus rt-ac3100 is 2156M on 5 gig

the orbi is 867M on wifi

what do you think is going to be the conclusion

Message 2 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ya, that's not what I asked at all! I want to know about the WAN port and if I can create a VLAN on it. My ISP requires me to set a VLAN of 201 on the WAN/Internet port. Simply entering my PPPoE credentials and password is not good enough. 

I'm not asking about wifi at all. 

Message 3 of 17

@Retired_Member wrote:

Ya, that's not what I asked at all! I want to know about the WAN port and if I can create a VLAN on it. My ISP requires me to set a VLAN of 201 on the WAN/Internet port. Simply entering my PPPoE credentials and password is not good enough. 

I'm not asking about wifi at all. 

no vlan as there isnt on most netgear stuff

plus its too slow for 1000M plans anyway

Message 4 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The 1 Gigabit ethernet ports on the Orbi are too slow for my 1000 plan!?!? Wow! Never heard that before. Do you know what 1000Mbps is equivalent to? 1 Gigabit 🙂 

Message 5 of 17

yes i do but you are not comparing apples to apples

currently there are NO domestic routers / wireless routers that will do anywhere near close to 1000Mbps wan to lan throughput , esp so if the actual router and qos features are turned on

if you dont believe me pop over to the smallnetbuilder web site and have a look at the lan & wan router charts for wan to lan throughput , the tests are also done with router and qos disabled so they are only a comparison and real world speeds are slower by a fair bit

so yes i can assure you your 1000Mbps plan if too fast for the orbi and any other router you can buy in the domestic market

im present on many forums and many ppl like you come on to them ether expecting and or complaining that their routers only do 600 or 700 or maybe 800Mbps when if they connect their computers direct to the fiber etc they get the full 1000Mbps

hope that clears things up for you

pete

Message 6 of 17

@Retired_Member wrote:

my only concern is if the router will actually push through gigabit speeds via the wired connection to my desktop. A lot of routers don't. Right now I'm using the Asus AC3100 and it stays pretty true to my gigabit Internet. I get about 900Mbps down/up when running SpeedTest.net. 

so as you see even the best wireless router money can buy atm wont give you the full 1000Mbps because of the wan to lan throughput bottleneck and the orbi wont ether ( in router mode )

Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm using a "domestic" router right now (Asus AC3100) with my 1000Mbps connection and it gets damn near close to that speed. I've successfully got SpeedTest.net to go up to 910Mbps down/up.

Message 8 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Let's be real. If I'm getting 900+Mbps for my down/up speed, it could 1 of 2 things. Either the router or possibly the server I'm running my speed test from can't push out the full 1000Mbps. However, I could care less. If I'm getting 910Mbps down/up on a gigabit connection, I'm happy. 

THIS IS 100% BESIDES THE POINT THOUGH! Seriously dude, I'm not here to argue about gigabit speeds and talk about speed.

I simply came to this forum to find out if the Orbi would allow me to set a VLAN of 201 on the WAN/Internet port. THAT'S IT!

Message 9 of 17

@Retired_Member wrote:

I'm using a "domestic" router right now (Asus AC3100) with my 1000Mbps connection and it gets damn near close to that speed. I've successfully got SpeedTest.net to go up to 910Mbps down/up.

but it doesnt get the full 1000Mbps right !!! and that is the limitation of the wan to lan throughput bottleneck

the asus is also a top of the line high end routers

tim from smallnetbuilder will be doing a full review of the orbi shortly and he will give you the exact wan to lan throughput readings and i would bet they dont come close to 1000Mbps

i will even post a link to the review here in the netgear forum so you can follow it up

Message 10 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Again, I'm not here to argue about speeds. I came here to find out 1 thing. That's it.

Message 11 of 17

@Retired_Member wrote:

Let's be real. If I'm getting 900+Mbps for my down/up speed, it could 1 of 2 things. Either the router or possibly the server I'm running my speed test from can't push out the full 1000Mbps. However, I could care less. If I'm getting 910Mbps down/up on a gigabit connection, I'm happy. 

THIS IS 100% BESIDES THE POINT THOUGH! Seriously dude, I'm not here to argue about gigabit speeds and talk about speed.

I simply came to this forum to find out if the Orbi would allow me to set a VLAN of 201 on the WAN/Internet port. THAT'S IT!

i have already said there is no vlan controls that i know of

and your initial statement in the second paragraph you stated

"my only concern is if the router will actually push through gigabit speeds via the wired connection to my desktop"

which the answer is it wont

so you just out of luck in both cases

pete

Message 12 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, I appreciate the VLAN info. That was my main concern.

The reason I mentioned I was conerend about the gigabit speed, is because often times top of the line routers do not have NAT acceleration to push the speeds through. Even my Asus router from 2 years ago capped out at roughly 400Mbps (like you mentioned a couple posts up, people complain about this issue.) I had to flash custom firmware to the router in order to achieve my 900Mbps+ speeds. 

So it's not that the routers are not capable. It's the router needs to be made with the right hardware, but also have proper firmware to take advantage. That's why I'm so thankful the Asus' AC3100 firmware worked so awesome right out of the box. I didn't have to flash custom firmware this time around. 

And let's be real. If I'm getting 900Mbps+ on my gigabit Internet, I'm happy. I'm not too concerned about crying and saying "But I'm not getting exactly 1000Mbps! Smiley Sad 

Here's what I was hoping: If VLAN was capable on this Orbi router, then I would have hoped Netgear would have made this router capable of handling Internet speeds like my Asus AC3100 does. After all, the Orbi is $399. My AC3100 is $279. So it wasn't farfetched of me to hope for this. 

When I saw the Orbi on Amazon, I thought "wow, this would be awesome if it works in my home environment because of the satellite box I could place downstairs to create a mesh network."

So anyway, this is where I was coming from. Thanks for the info. 

Message 13 of 17
rjbones
Guide

Hi PowerMan5721,

Orbi does not have VLAN tagging feature on WAN. I checked the UI and I could not find that option anywhere on the Advanced settings.

Message 14 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for checking. I appreciate it! I found a way around it though!! I'm SOO HAPPY!

I bought a cheap Netgear managed switch. ProSAFE GS105E. I ended up creating a tagged VLAN 201 on the 1st port and an untagged VLAN 201 on the 2nd port. An ethernet cable goes from the 2nd port into the router.

This way I can use ANY router I want and not have to worry about "does it allow VLANs? Does it allow VLAN on the WAN port?" and so on.

So I went and picked up the Orbi router and satellite tonight! Guess what? peteytesting was wrong! The Orbi's throughout DOES keep up with my gigabit Internet! I just ran a speed test and I actually got 920Mbps+! Even better than what my Asus AC3100 achieved! 

Message 15 of 17

@Retired_Member wrote:

So I went and picked up the Orbi router and satellite tonight! Guess what? peteytesting was wrong! The Orbi's throughout DOES keep up with my gigabit Internet! I just ran a speed test and I actually got 920Mbps+! Even better than what my Asus AC3100 achieved! 

but nether does the full 1000M right and that was the point 🙂

Message 16 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not even CenturyLink's C200T or C2100T equipment they give you with your 1 gig Internet can push the full 1000 Mbps Smiley Wink So to be able to get the same exact speed with the Orbi, but using WAY BETTER equipement, that makes me very happy Smiley Very Happy

The equipment they give you is still Wireless-N junk and they want to charge $10/month for that junky equipment LOL 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7