Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router RBR20 intermittent connectivity issues

jolson490
Aspirant

Orbi router RBR20 intermittent connectivity issues

Last April from Best Buy I purchased a new Orbi AC2200 - the box says RBK20W, and it includes an RBR20 router and an RBW30 satellite. It's worked mostly ok til about a month ago I started occassionally being unable to access the internet from my laptop which is connected to the RBR20 via wifi - it's gotten to the point that quite a few times a day my internet connection will cut out for about a minute or so.

fyi:

• 1,500 sq ft home
  • My two laptops are in my office. Both my modem and router are in the bedroom across the hallway from my office, so about 25' away.
  • Channels I'm using: Auto for 2.4GHz, 48 for 5GHz, and 157 for 5GHz-2.
  • On my RBR20 the "Router Mode" is selected (as opposed to "AP Mode").
  • I do not have any of the following enabled: Armor (security), Circle (Parental Control), nor Guest WiFi.

I've tried the following things, but my internet connection still keeps cutting out:

I still had my old tp-link router in my closet, so I unhooked my RBR20 and hooked up the tp-link and the internet is working consistently. So it seems the RBR20 is the cause of my issue.

Any suggestions for how to get my Orbi to work reliably would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi router RBR20 intermittent connectivity issues

Glad the ISP took care of the problem. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
vajim
Master

"On my RBR20 I updated the firmware version from v2.3.5.30 to v2.5.1.16"

Before or after the problems?...a month ago...??

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

25ft maybe too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@jolson490 wrote:

Last April from Best Buy I purchased a new Orbi AC2200 - the box says RBK20W, and it includes an RBR20 router and an RBW30 satellite. It's worked mostly ok til about a month ago I started occassionally being unable to access the internet from my laptop which is connected to the RBR20 via wifi - it's gotten to the point that quite a few times a day my internet connection will cut out for about a minute or so.

fyi:

• 1,500 sq ft home
  • My two laptops are in my office. Both my modem and router are in the bedroom across the hallway from my office, so about 25' away.
  • Channels I'm using: Auto for 2.4GHz, 48 for 5GHz, and 157 for 5GHz-2.
  • On my RBR20 the "Router Mode" is selected (as opposed to "AP Mode").
  • I do not have any of the following enabled: Armor (security), Circle (Parental Control), nor Guest WiFi.

I've tried the following things, but my internet connection still keeps cutting out:

I still had my old tp-link router in my closet, so I unhooked my RBR20 and hooked up the tp-link and the internet is working consistently. So it seems the RBR20 is the cause of my issue.

Any suggestions for how to get my Orbi to work reliably would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 3 of 13
vajim
Master

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 13
jolson490
Aspirant

@vajim: The problem started about a month ago. The bullets in my "I've tried the following things" list are things I tried yesterday. So the problem occurred with both firmware versions.

@FURRYe38:
* My modem says Spectrum on it, the model is ET2251, and it also says "Docsis 3.1 eMTA" on it.
* Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the feet/distance matters because I've unplugged the satellite.
* The screenshot I'm attaching shows the wifi networks near my laptop.
* I have not yet tried a factory reset on my RBR20 (but I can/will if that's what you recommend).

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a reset and setup from scratch. 

Message 6 of 13
vajim
Master

@jolson490 wrote:

@vajim: The problem started about a month ago. The bullets in my "I've tried the following things" list are things I tried yesterday. So the problem occurred with both firmware versions.

@FURRYe38:
* My modem says Spectrum on it, the model is ET2251, and it also says "Docsis 3.1 eMTA" on it.
* Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the feet/distance matters because I've unplugged the satellite.
* The screenshot I'm attaching shows the wifi networks near my laptop.
* I have not yet tried a factory reset on my RBR20 (but I can/will if that's what you recommend).

The reason I ask is normally networks don't go a foul on their own.  Something happened, power surge, user error, etc.  

I always ask when was the last time it worked ok?    What changed?

Message 7 of 13
jolson490
Aspirant

Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I decided to call Spectrum again yesterday. When I called them the other week they thought the new modem would fix the issue. But when I called them yeseterday they ran a test and they are still seeing an intermittent loss of signal between them and my new modem. So they're sending a tech out this upcoming Sunday to fix whatever wiring issue is present. I'm a little surprised because my house is only 20 years old and nothing should've happened or changed in the last month or so that could've caused a wiring issue, but I guess anything is possible. I'll add a reply here to let everyone know how it turns out - I'm hoping after the tech comes that then my Orbi will be able to work reliably.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like this is an ISP issue. Let us know how it goes after the tech comes. Have him test things while he's there to be sure. Make sure speeds are to spec with out the Orbi attached and with Orbi attached to the new modem. 

@jolson490 wrote:

Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I decided to call Spectrum again yesterday. When I called them the other week they thought the new modem would fix the issue. But when I called them yeseterday they ran a test and they are still seeing an intermittent loss of signal between them and my new modem. So they're sending a tech out this upcoming Sunday to fix whatever wiring issue is present. I'm a little surprised because my house is only 20 years old and nothing should've happened or changed in the last month or so that could've caused a wiring issue, but I guess anything is possible. I'll add a reply here to let everyone know how it turns out - I'm hoping after the tech comes that then my Orbi will be able to work reliably.

Message 9 of 13
vajim
Master

Let us know how it goes after the tech comes. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
jolson490
Aspirant

The tech came and he said my ISP has to boost the signal in the winter and that my house is the first one on the line and the signal is actually too strong now. So he installed a splitter in my house to reduce the signal to the ideal level. Problem solved - internet has been working reliably ever since - using my Orbi without doing a factory reset or making any other changes. Thanks again everyone for kindly giving me helpful suggestions.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the ISP took care of the problem. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7