Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - router and satellite locations interchangeable?

turkishharem
Follower

Orbi - router and satellite locations interchangeable?

I just set up my Orbi RBK22 kit today (consists of one RBR20 router and one RBS20 satellite), so now is the time that I'm motivated to make any changes and get things set up correctly.

For reference, I'm using the following helpful information as my baseline information:  https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

I have a midsize, multi-floor house.  I noticed that the graphics in the KB for each multi-floor house has the router at the bottom of the house and the satellite on the second floor, across the house.  The graphic also shows/indicates that the WiFi signal radiates from the router and satellite in all directions.

My ISP-feed comes into the basement and is currently wired up to the ground floor.  Based on the thought that the setup should be spread horizontally and separated vertically, as stated/implied from the KB linked above, I have the router on the ground floor (where the internet was already wired) and I set the satellite up across the house in the basement.  That setup is similar to the diagrams, except the router and satellite locations are swapped.  Is that functionally equivalent to the diagram (router & satellite locations are interchangeable), or would it be noticeably better to put the router in the basement and the satellite on the ground floor?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi - router and satellite locations interchangeable?

Basements are not idea locations for any wifi router. Concrete and steel will inhibit wifi signal travel from those locations. Thus causing problems. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi - router and satellite locations interchangeable?

Does "multi-floor" mean multiple "above ground" floors or does it mean "basement and ground level"?

You are correct that which device is in which location has no functional importance.

The most common strategy is to locate the router near to the internet modem (fiber box, or whatever).  Most of us "take the easy way out" and locate the Orbi right next to the modem rather than try to figure out how to put it in a more optimal location.

It is often useful to balance "covering everywhere there could ever be a WiFi device" with providing the maximum support for major bandwidth users.  i.e. as long as the garage door controller can get enough 2.4G signal to open or close the door, putting an Orbi closer to it doesn't add much value.  If you have four 5K streaming IP cameras around the garage, it may need better service.  So, while "covering the house", also pay attention to where the computers, TV's, internet gamers, etc. are located.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7