Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router bricked (RBR50)

madbrain
Luminary

Orbi router bricked (RBR50)

So, after doing the 4th factory reset and manual firmware rollback to version 1.11.0.20, my router is apparently bricked.

This is the most consistent state that my Orbi router has ever been. The white light just blinks immediately on power on; factory reset (inserting a pin) has zero effect ; no network activity whatsover.

It's only marginally less useful than it was before.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 13
martyfp
Luminary

@madbrain wrote:

It's only marginally less useful than it was before.

sorry to laugh but that's funny !

Message 2 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello madbrain

You will need to contact support 

Please contact NETGEAR Support at 1-888 NETGEAR (638 4327) if you have any questions. 

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 3 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

I have tried. No luck getting an RMA in 3 calls.

At 4am PT, I was put on hold for 45 mins, never got to anyone who could get me an RMA, only open a case (28816243).

I called again at 3:20pm PT, got disconnected after 10 mins on hold.

I'm on the third call now and being transferred again and on hold .

I keep getting told I was misrouted to the Netgear home department, when really all I did was enter 2 for RMA rather than 1 for support on the voice prompts.

It doesn't seem like 24 hour support is really there.

Message 4 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello madbrain 

I sent you a PM

DarrenM

Message 5 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

Thanks. I'm still on hold with support since my last post ...

Message 6 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

And still on hold. Over 2 hours on hold combined so far, no RMA still .

Message 7 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

And of course disconnected at 1 hr 9 min on hold ...

What does it take to get an RMA ?

Message 8 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

Tried yet again, caller 97 in queue, expected wait time 40 mins . Sigh. Can't afford to wait this long. Why isn't there an online process to get an RMA ???

Message 9 of 13
st_shaw
Master

If I were in your position I would try to use tftp to manually reload the firmware. There are instructions somewhere on the Netgear site.
Message 10 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

The Orbi router device does not acquire an IP address from my R7000 router. There is nowhere to tftp to .

Message 11 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@madbrain wrote:

The Orbi router device does not acquire an IP address from my R7000 router. There is nowhere to tftp to .

The beauty of this method is Orbi doesn't need to acquire an IP address from your router.  I've used this a couple times to recover a bricked Netgear router.  I've never done this on Orbi, so I cannot guarantee it will work. It's something to do while you're on hold for 2 hours though. 🙂

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

Message 12 of 13
madbrain
Luminary

@st_shaw wrote:

@madbrain wrote:

The beauty of this method is Orbi doesn't need to acquire an IP address from your router.  I've used this a couple times to recover a bricked Netgear router.  I've never done this on Orbi, so I cannot guarantee it will work. It's something to do while you're on hold for 2 hours though. 🙂

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

Thanks. I tried that procedure, but it just doesn't work with Orbi .

I also looked at the network traffic with Wireshark . When my PC is directly connected to the Orbi, no packet originates from any other MAC address but my PC's NIC  . Unfortunately, I believe the Orbi router is really bricked.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7