Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router cannot connect to internet

MickeH
Aspirant

Orbi router cannot connect to internet

Hi there,

I know this has been discussed in various post, but I have still not found a solution. My problem is this. After a power break yesterday I started up my orbi system again and the the orbi router showed a purple light and no internet connection. I know the internet is working since I have connected a computer and and apple tv direct to the fiber modem, full speed there. But the router does not work, so the problem is between the Orbi router and the fiber modem. I have restarted multiple times according to the proceedures recommended here and by Netgear. Does not work, still the same problem. I have also restet the orbi to factor settings. Does not work either. Any ideas? Feels like I have run out of ideas. All suggestions are welcome. Before yesterday it has worked flawlessly for a year and half.

Best

Mikael

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
MickeH
Aspirant

Re: Orbi router cannot connect to internet

Hi again, and thanks for all advice. Now, after talking to the ones providing the fiber connection for a second time it turns out that they have an issue with MAC-addresses that they are working with and thats what causing the problem. Too bad that they didn´t say that the firsta time I talked to them...

But again, thanks for all advice, learnt a lot.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@MickeH wrote:

Hi there,

I know this has been discussed in various post, but I have still not found a solution. My problem is this. After a power break yesterday I started up my orbi system again and the the orbi router showed a purple light and no internet connection. I know the internet is working since I have connected a computer and and apple tv direct to the fiber modem, full speed there. But the router does not work, so the problem is between the Orbi router and the fiber modem. I have restarted multiple times according to the proceedures recommended here and by Netgear. Does not work, still the same problem. I have also restet the orbi to factor settings. Does not work either. Any ideas? Feels like I have run out of ideas. All suggestions are welcome. Before yesterday it has worked flawlessly for a year and half.

Best

Mikael

If you can connect more than 1 device to your fibre modem and both run at the same time, your fibre modem has an integrated router most likely. Did you have your orbi setup in AP (access point) mode prior? 

otherwise you're probably in a double nat.  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Easiest fix?

1. place the fibre box in modem only/passthrough mode. contact the isp to set that up.

or

2. Place the orbi in AP (access point) mode. 

Message 2 of 14
MickeH
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. No I have never set up the Orbi as an access point before. How do I do that? You may be correct that the fibre modem works as router as well, has 6 ports. However, this  has never been an issue before, have always worked, and I have restarted the orbi system multiple times prior to yesterday. But for some reason it does not work since yesterday. And the same problem persist if I only connect the Orbi router and connect all my devicves wirelessly to the Orbi network.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 14
MickeH
Aspirant

CTS HES-3106

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

The HES-3106 is a managed ethernet switch with dhcp capabilities. 

https://www.ctsystem.com/en/product/productdetail.php?fid=12&pid=11

That'd cause your double nat and issues. 

Did you try the AP mode? 

Message 6 of 14
MickeH
Aspirant

Thanks again, I have tried, but the problem is that I can't get that far in the setup process since the Orbi has no connection with the internet. Does not matter if I try with a computer connected to the orbi router via ethernet or wireless. The setup process, when I try to log in to orbilogin.com stop so I cannot get to the part where I log in to the router and be able to change to AP-mode.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnect the RBR from your Modem/ONT or switch.

Use one wired PC connected to the back of the RBR. 

Factory reset the RBR by pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Once the top ring LED slowly pulsates WHITE, open a web browser to 192.168.1.1. Walk thru the setup wizard. Skip adding any RBS. Once you complete the setup wizard you should be at the home page for the RBR. Navigate to Advanced tab/Advanced Settings>Router/AP mode. Youl can configure AP mode here.

Once you have AP mode configured and you apply the setting, the RBR should reboot. Here is when you can connect the RBR to the modem/ONT or switch using the yellow WAN port on the RBR for it's connection. 

Message 8 of 14
MickeH
Aspirant

Thanks, tried that too now. Did not work, did not get through the setup wizard, complained abouty internet access.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Select the manual setup instead of the wizard. There should be a selectable link to manually setup the RBR. This will skip the full wizard then get you to the home page. 

Message 10 of 14
MickeH
Aspirant

Hi again, and thanks for all advice. Now, after talking to the ones providing the fiber connection for a second time it turns out that they have an issue with MAC-addresses that they are working with and thats what causing the problem. Too bad that they didn´t say that the firsta time I talked to them...

Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MickeH wrote:

MAC-addresses.....?? Aren't they uniquely assigned to a device by its manufacturer??

Message 12 of 14
MickeH
Aspirant

Well, I am no IT-guy, but I guess you are right. The issue had to do with conflicting MAC-addresses for some reason, the router did not keep its IP-address. That was what I was told anyway, things should be fixed during next week. Maybe the story continues, who knows...

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its a ISP issue. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon for you. 

@MickeH wrote:

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7