Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router frequently lost internet connection in IP passthrough mode

greenpeace
Aspirant

Orbi router frequently lost internet connection in IP passthrough mode

I followed this post from AT&T forum to set up its modem (Arris BGW210) to do IP passthough to my Orbi router:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Strict-NAT-Bridge-Mode-What-is-IP-Passthrough-Can-...

It appeared to work at first. But later I found that the router lost Internet connection a few times a day. Everytime it was able to recover the connection in a minute or two. But it was really annoying. At the same time, the AT&T gateway seems to be functioning well as other devices directly connected to it worked well.

The problem went away if I set the Orbi router in AP mode. But I really like to keep the router mode to use the Circle parental control. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
greenpeace
Aspirant

Re: Orbi router frequently lost internet connection in IP passthrough mode

I decided to settle down on the AP mode for now. To get back the parental control function that is only available in router mode, I bought this stand-alone Circle device from Amazon and connected it with the ATT router:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RC1EI8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It turns out to be working well and has more features than the one in the router.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, this is less "passthrough" than I would call "DMZ".  The Arris router and all of its telephone, television, and other functions remains intact.  The description of DHCP (particularly reducing the lease time to 2 minutes) is confusing.  This might explain why the Orbi "recovers within a couple of minutes" after losing internet.

This is a great time for an Orbi customer who has AT&T to step in!!!

p.s. What IP address does the Orbi show on the WAN (internet) side?

i.e. a "public" IP address or a "private" IP address?

Message 2 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

It was a public IP address when in router mode.

Message 3 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Great.  On the web interface, the Advanced Tab, Advanced Home screen, what does it show when you click on "Connection Status"?

For example, my Orbi (on Spectrum) shows:

Lease Obtained 1 day,  0 hours, 0 minutes

Lease Expires  0 day, 19 hours, 4 minutes

Message 4 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

It shows this. However, note that the router is already in AP mode. I haven't switched back to router mode.

Lease Obtained 1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes

Lease Expires 0 Days, 13 Hours, 59 Minutes

Message 5 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

So, in AP mode what IP address does it get?

Message 6 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

In AP mode it gets private IP address, which starts with 129.*

In router mode it gets public IP address, which starts with 75.*

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the Orbi in AP mode for a while and see if the problem still continues. Don't use IPPassthru for the RBR while in AP mode. 

Message 8 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

I have already tried AP mode for a week and it worked well. But I lost parental control in this mode so it is still not ideal for me.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is the Orbi system currently loaded with? 

Message 10 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@greenpeace wrote:

I apologize.  I have lost track of which device is which.  When the Orbi is connected to the AT&T router, it should always receive the same IP address no matter whether the Orbi is in router or AP mode.  The IP addressis coming from the AT&T router, either a public IP that it is "passing" to the Orbi, or a private IP that it has assigned.  The IP that the Orbi receives should change when the AT&T router is put into a different mode.

By the way, "75" is not one of the generally recognized private IP spaces.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

If the AT&T is "for real" passing the public IP to the Orbi, then the Orbi has to be in router mode, or it won't work.  When the Orbi is in AP mode, then the AT&T must be handling the DHCP and giving the Orbi a private address.

Message 11 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@greenpeace wrote:

I apologize.  I have lost track of which device is which.  When the Orbi is connected to the AT&T router, it should always receive the same IP address no matter whether the Orbi is in router or AP mode.  The IP addressis coming from the AT&T router, either a public IP that it is "passing" to the Orbi, or a private IP that it has assigned.  The IP that the Orbi receives should change when the AT&T router is put into a different mode.

By the way, "75" is not one of the generally recognized private IP spaces.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

If the AT&T is "for real" passing the public IP to the Orbi, then the Orbi has to be in router mode, or it won't work.  When the Orbi is in AP mode, then the AT&T must be handling the DHCP and giving the Orbi a private address.

Orbi gets a public IP address (75.*) when it is in router mode with IP passthrough, and gets private IP address (129.*) in AP mode without IP passthrough.

Message 12 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@greenpeace wrote:

Orbi gets a public IP address (75.*) when it is in router mode with IP passthrough, and gets private IP address (129.*) in AP mode without IP passthrough.

Thanks for the explanation.  Got to hand it to AT&T not to use a recognized private IP space.

Message 13 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@greenpeace wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.  Got to hand it to AT&T not to use a recognized private IP space.

Checked again and the private IP the orbi gets in AP mode is 192.168.*. Sorry about the typo.

Any thoughts on why connections are lost with IP passthrough and router mode? You seem to suggest that it has something to do with DHCP lease?

Message 14 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FIrmware version is V2.3.5.26

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off of the ISP modem for 1 minute and back on and let it sync, then factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch? Walking thru the setup wizard. Keeping the passthru enabled on the modem for the RBR. 

Ensure all wifi and uPnP on the modem is disabled. 

Swap LAN cables between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

How often does this loss of internet connect happen? 

@greenpeace wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FIrmware version is V2.3.5.26

Message 16 of 19
Gudel2
Apprentice

Yes I have also battled this issue with the BGW210-700 in passthrough mode.

check firmware I think I am at 1.9.14.

I think it is something with the modem,because I have been using  my old nvg510 and its working flawlessly. I am still trying  to test with BGW 210 also.

Is there anyone in community who has this modem and has it set for passthrough have NOT had any disconnects? Please tell us how to resolve this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 19
greenpeace
Aspirant

I decided to settle down on the AP mode for now. To get back the parental control function that is only available in router mode, I bought this stand-alone Circle device from Amazon and connected it with the ATT router:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RC1EI8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It turns out to be working well and has more features than the one in the router.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@greenpeace wrote:

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7