Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router has 700Mbs from Modem, gives 2.0Mbs over WIFI

pcolsen
Aspirant

Orbi router has 700Mbs from Modem, gives 2.0Mbs over WIFI

I have an RB50 router with firmware V2.5.2.4 connected to two satellites.

My Orbi base station reports that it's getting 700Mbps download.  My laptop is getting 2.1Mbs, and this has gone as low as 1.0Mbs on WIFI.  I have a physical connection through a pair of TP-Link Gigabit Powerline modems that provides about 7 Mbps.

I had this performace earlier.  Since then I have rebooted the router several times and done one factory reset.  The modem did increase speed immediately after the factory reset, but both WIFI and ethernet performacne had returned to the low speeds above.

I am serving two laptops, three printers, and some Amazon Echo devices.  I have attached an older Netgear router to support 2.4Ghz smart devices such as bulbs.  I have disconnected the attached modem and noticed no significant increase.

Message 1 of 5
pcolsen
Aspirant

Re: Orbi router has 700Mbs from Modem, gives 2.0Mbs over WIFI

I've also tried blocking all devices except my laptop.  The speed was unchanged.

Message 2 of 5
Remoteworker
Aspirant

router speeds.PNG

I had this issue, i had 1 year of no issues, then it stated at certain times of night it would either disconnect me or go high ms so my work was impacted as was gaming. It then started affecting tother streaming connected items in the house, i have 500mb at the router from ISP(in router internet test). I have it in modem mode and WIFI off Orbi and 2 satellites. I have also cabled into satelites 4 items also and 1 wired into main Router. I get around 350-380 all over the house Wifi until this issue. I tried many things as you can see some partially helped but it wasnt until around 3:50pm that i retested below.

I tried many things, swapping, replacing, removing, adding, i ran out of idea's and, so I simply hit reset on 3 devices and re-installed at the router for a new setup, using the same WIFI SSID. Took me around 30mins i think and it was simple. Once done i went back to full speed, in some cases even higher speeds than i had originally. Next time i will simply re-install at the router on wifi as it saved me loads of tiem messing around.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
What speed do you get with connecting the laptops ethernet connection to the back of the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@pcolsen wrote:

I have an RB50 router with firmware V2.5.2.4 connected to two satellites.

My Orbi base station reports that it's getting 700Mbps download.  My laptop is getting 2.1Mbs, and this has gone as low as 1.0Mbs on WIFI.  I have a physical connection through a pair of TP-Link Gigabit Powerline modems that provides about 7 Mbps.

I had this performace earlier.  Since then I have rebooted the router several times and done one factory reset.  The modem did increase speed immediately after the factory reset, but both WIFI and ethernet performacne had returned to the low speeds above.

I am serving two laptops, three printers, and some Amazon Echo devices.  I have attached an older Netgear router to support 2.4Ghz smart devices such as bulbs.  I have disconnected the attached modem and noticed no significant increase.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend updating to v40 as well. Other user have posted problems with v4 FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7