Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router in bridge mode over ethernet?

althea
Guide

Orbi router in bridge mode over ethernet?

I am need of an Ethernet connection to a satellite in a separate house. Since a sattelite will not support an Ethernet connection, can a second Orbi router be used in bridge mode over Ethernet? Will this work as an access point?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
loomis1975
Luminary

Yes, you could connect a 2nd RBR50 in access point mode at the end of an Ethernet cable in the 2nd house.  I would strongly suggest from the 1st Orbi Router.  It would have a separate wireless network from the other Orbi system, but that should be fine, being in a separate house and all.  And if you need to add a satellite for that separate house, just add it as normal to the router/ap.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

Yes, you could connect a 2nd RBR50 in access point mode at the end of an Ethernet cable in the 2nd house.  I would strongly suggest from the 1st Orbi Router.  It would have a separate wireless network from the other Orbi system, but that should be fine, being in a separate house and all.  And if you need to add a satellite for that separate house, just add it as normal to the router/ap.

Message 2 of 9
althea
Guide

Thank you for your reply!! I'm confused about when you say the second router would have a "separate wireless network from the other Orbi system". I would like to have the second Orbi router in the 2nd house be a part of the same network  as the first router (shared printer, drive, etc..). My goal is for the second router (AP/Bridge mode) to be another access point on the same network as the main house. It would be out of range from other satellites and that's why it is connected via Ethernet to the network in the main house. Will this work?

Thanks again! Your help is immensely appreciated!

Message 3 of 9
st_shaw
Master

I think people's answers on this thread and others are giving you confusing information.

Yes, you can run an Ethernet cable to your other "house" and setup a WiFi access point there.  As long as you setup an access point (not another router) you will have all your wired and WiFi devices on the same network. For example, each device will get an IP address of 192.168.1.X and all wired and WiFi devices can see one another.

However, the other house will have a spearate "wireless network" with a different WiFi SSID.  This will be transparent to you and won't matter.

You can use Orbi or any other device in access point mode in the other house.  If you use Orbi, you need to make sure the other house is far enough away that the two 5 GHz backhauls for the two Orbis don't interfere with each other. You also have a limit of 100 meters on your Ethernet cable run.

Message 4 of 9
althea
Guide

Thanks so very much for this help. It is very confusing. I'm guessing I should just get a device that is designed to be just an access point to play it safe. Are there any good recommendations for an excellent access point device to be hooked up by Ethernet to compliment an Orbi network?
Thanks again.
Message 5 of 9
st_shaw
Master

No problem. You can use most any WiFi router set to Access Point mode, provided the router includes that function.  The best unit would depend on the geometry of the other house and the intended use. Factors like the following need to be considered:

How far away is the other house? How large is it in square feet? How many floors? How many WiFi clients? Are the clients 802.11n or 802.11ac? Are there wired clients too? How will the clients be used?

Message 6 of 9
althea
Guide

The other house is just a small one floor "cottage". It would have only one or three clients at time, usually and sometimes 802.11ac. I'm thinking I might get something advertised as just an access point like maybe this unless there are better recommendations:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LFSDZCU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492884270&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_S...
I'm very grateful for the help!!
Message 7 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Your pick looks like a good choice.  Orbi would be overkill and far more expensive than needed for a one-floor cottage.

Message 8 of 9
althea
Guide

Thanks! You have helped immensely!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7