Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router no internet

johnhon
Aspirant

Orbi router no internet

I've got Orbi router RBR50 and satellite units. From my Orbi app, it shows internet is off-line... but my Mac connected through the cable from the router is no problem accessing internet at all, just all devices not able to connect to internet through wifi, each time i need to reboot my orbit router and then the wifi internet is back but just last a day or two... 

I've tried to replace the cable between the router and my modem, reboot the orbit router, reset it, but still same... any idea? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi router no internet

what modem is it connected to? 

Message 2 of 4
johnhon
Aspirant

the modem is :

TELEPERMIT

Smart Modem VRV9517

it's from the internet provider.

I don't think it's related to the modem, as I has been using it with the Orbi for nearly 2 years and it's all good until last week. although the app say there is no internet but all wire connected device from Orbi router, like iMac, TV are able to connect to internet, it also able to do the internet speed test from the Orbi app with good speed.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Its because that modem isn't just a modem. Its a modem/router combo device and causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7